Poll: Members: How soon after joining ProZ.com did you meet a client (directly or indirectly)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 14, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Members: How soon after joining ProZ.com did you meet a client (directly or indirectly)?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:04
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Within the first week. Mar 14, 2006

Turned out to be my favorite and largest one, too.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
suggested additional option: I don't remember Mar 14, 2006

I really don't.

FionaDV (X)
FionaDV (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to English
+ ...
within 7 days of signing up as a non-platinum member Mar 14, 2006

but if by "joining proz" you meant "becoming a Proz platinum member", and if by "meeting a client" you meant "meeting a client through proz", then my answer is: -4 months.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:04
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
about 2 weeks Mar 14, 2006

I really don't.

Are you one of the first members of the site?

[Edited at 2006-03-14 12:25]

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
And I thought I was fast :o) Mar 14, 2006

I met my first client within the first month of being a Platinum member. The membership fee paid off after the first job I did for them, and then there was more...

[Edited at 2006-03-14 12:44]

Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur
Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur  Identity Verified
Hungary
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
Competition wins Mar 14, 2006

Funnily enough, while I think ProZ is the best online community/directory, I have been contacted by clients through other online directories much more often. I got my first client through ProZ after 5 months of becoming a (platinum) member, while in the same period I met 3-4 others from other directories.

Marisa Condurso de Nohara
Marisa Condurso de Nohara  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
It took me more than one year Mar 14, 2006

After approx. 1 year and 7 months of having joined Proz as a non-paying member, I had the opportunity to become Platinum. Three months later, I was contacted by an outsourcer twice.
I have extensively sent quotations for jobs posted, and when not, it has been on account of some limitations (the most common being that English-Spanish translators from Europe were preferred). I have followed the advise of a Proz staff member aiming at improving my profile. I am still working on it (project h
... See more
After approx. 1 year and 7 months of having joined Proz as a non-paying member, I had the opportunity to become Platinum. Three months later, I was contacted by an outsourcer twice.
I have extensively sent quotations for jobs posted, and when not, it has been on account of some limitations (the most common being that English-Spanish translators from Europe were preferred). I have followed the advise of a Proz staff member aiming at improving my profile. I am still working on it (project history, mainly). So far, Proz has proved a valuable tool to exchange points of view, ask some questions, try to help some colleagues, but meeting clients...that's still a pending issue. Anyway, if being Platinum is a must, I should only count 3 months up to date.
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 11:04
Member (2003)
French to English
Quite awhile afterwards Mar 14, 2006

But it must be said that I joined quite awhile ago and ProZ.com has grown a lot since then. Also, my participation in ProZ.com has increased in just the past year or two. However, I really do think that the reason it was not soon after joining is because the site was not as comprehensive back then. JMO. It's grown in a lot of ways, all good.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Within a week of joining, went platinum three months later Mar 14, 2006

Hi all,

If "joining" is defined as "becoming a registered (non-paying) user of ProZ.com" according to newly introduced ProZ.com terminology, then I met my first client (and was assigned my first job) one week after registering back in May 2002. I went platinum (now "member") three months later.

Best,
Steffen

[Edited at 2006-03-14 13:59]

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Not the one of the first to join by a long shot Mar 14, 2006

angioletta garbarino wrote:

I really don't.

Are you one of the first members of the site?

[Edited at 2006-03-14 12:25]

Assuming you mean me, no. But I joined in 2002 and getting work from the site was not the reason I signed up. I'd have to really give it some thought to figure out when I got my first job via Proz.

Agnieszka Zmuda
Agnieszka Zmuda  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Within 3 months... Mar 14, 2006

I registered as a non-paying member in July 2005, met my first client in October, upgraded to Platinum in late November and... haven't met any other client since
Seems like the Platinum membership paid off in advance My first and only client keeps coming back for more...

AZ

Katharina Wawrzon-Stewart
Katharina Wawrzon-Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:04
English to German
+ ...
Same here Mar 14, 2006

Zsanett Pandur wrote:

Funnily enough, while I think ProZ is the best online community/directory, I have been contacted by clients through other online directories much more often. I got my first client through ProZ after 5 months of becoming a (platinum) member, while in the same period I met 3-4 others from other directories.

ProZ is definitely my favourite online community and resource, but I'm yet to meet my first client here. I first joined in summer '05, but going Platinum in November 2005 has made no real impact. I partially attribute this to the fact that I'm relatively new to the business...

[Edited at 2006-03-14 23:37]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:04
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I hate to keep reprising an old theme... Mar 15, 2006

Since my language combinations are among the most popular, the rates tend to be lower. I have been bidding since Day 1, and receiving inquiries for a couple of years, but I would have met my first client a lot sooner if I had been willing to lower my rate.

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:04
Spanish to English
Nothing to do with paying... Mar 15, 2006

As far as I can work out, my first client from Proz sought me out because I answered some of his questions and since then I have collaborated on projects with fellow colleagues I've met through Kudoz too. I am still working for the same people I was working for before I ever discovered Proz (back in Aug 2000), so paying for membership has not had a significant impact on my workload or earnings and it's been over five years....

[Edited at 2006-03-15 09:21]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Members: How soon after joining ProZ.com did you meet a client (directly or indirectly)?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »