Poll: Members: How soon after joining ProZ.com did you meet a client (directly or indirectly)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 12:18
SITE STAFF
Mar 14, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Members: How soon after joining ProZ.com did you meet a client (directly or indirectly)?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Within the first week. Mar 14, 2006

Turned out to be my favorite and largest one, too.

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
suggested additional option: I don't remember Mar 14, 2006

I really don't. icon_biggrin.gif

FionaDV (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to English
+ ...
within 7 days of signing up as a non-platinum member Mar 14, 2006

but if by "joining proz" you meant "becoming a Proz platinum member", and if by "meeting a client" you meant "meeting a client through proz", then my answer is: -4 months.icon_smile.gif

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
about 2 weeks Mar 14, 2006

Are you one of the first members of the site?

[Edited at 2006-03-14 12:25]

Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:18
English to Polish
And I thought I was fast :o) Mar 14, 2006

I met my first client within the first month of being a Platinum member. The membership fee paid off after the first job I did for them, and then there was more...icon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2006-03-14 12:44]

Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur  Identity Verified
Hungary
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
Competition wins Mar 14, 2006

Funnily enough, while I think ProZ is the best online community/directory, I have been contacted by clients through other online directories much more often. I got my first client through ProZ after 5 months of becoming a (platinum) member, while in the same period I met 3-4 others from other directories.

Marisa Condurso de Nohara  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
It took me more than one year Mar 14, 2006

After approx. 1 year and 7 months of having joined Proz as a non-paying member, I had the opportunity to become Platinum. Three months later, I was contacted by an outsourcer twice.
I have extensively sent quotations for jobs posted, and when not, it has been on account of some limitations (the most common being that English-Spanish translators from Europe were preferred). I have followed the advise of a Proz staff member aiming at improving my profile. I am still working on it (project history, mainly). So far, Proz has proved a valuable tool to exchange points of view, ask some questions, try to help some colleagues, but meeting clients...that's still a pending issue. Anyway, if being Platinum is a must, I should only count 3 months up to date.

gad
United States
Local time: 15:18
French to English
Quite awhile afterwards Mar 14, 2006

But it must be said that I joined quite awhile ago and ProZ.com has grown a lot since then. Also, my participation in ProZ.com has increased in just the past year or two. However, I really do think that the reason it was not soon after joining is because the site was not as comprehensive back then. JMO. It's grown in a lot of ways, all good.

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Within a week of joining, went platinum three months later Mar 14, 2006

Hi all,

If "joining" is defined as "becoming a registered (non-paying) user of ProZ.com" according to newly introduced ProZ.com terminology, then I met my first client (and was assigned my first job) one week after registering back in May 2002. I went platinum (now "member") three months later.

Best,
Steffen

[Edited at 2006-03-14 13:59]

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Not the one of the first to join by a long shot Mar 14, 2006

angioletta garbarino wrote:

Are you one of the first members of the site?

[Edited at 2006-03-14 12:25]

Assuming you mean me, no. But I joined in 2002 and getting work from the site was not the reason I signed up. I'd have to really give it some thought to figure out when I got my first job via Proz.

Agnieszka Zmuda  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
Within 3 months... Mar 14, 2006

I registered as a non-paying member in July 2005, met my first client in October, upgraded to Platinum in late November and... haven't met any other client sinceicon_frown.gif
Seems like the Platinum membership paid off in advanceicon_smile.gif My first and only client keeps coming back for more...

AZ

Katharina Wawrzon-Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:18
English to German
+ ...
Same here Mar 14, 2006

Zsanett Pandur wrote:

Funnily enough, while I think ProZ is the best online community/directory, I have been contacted by clients through other online directories much more often. I got my first client through ProZ after 5 months of becoming a (platinum) member, while in the same period I met 3-4 others from other directories.

ProZ is definitely my favourite online community and resource, but I'm yet to meet my first client here. I first joined in summer '05, but going Platinum in November 2005 has made no real impact. I partially attribute this to the fact that I'm relatively new to the business...

[Edited at 2006-03-14 23:37]

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I hate to keep reprising an old theme... Mar 15, 2006

Since my language combinations are among the most popular, the rates tend to be lower. I have been bidding since Day 1, and receiving inquiries for a couple of years, but I would have met my first client a lot sooner if I had been willing to lower my rate.

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:18
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
Nothing to do with paying... Mar 15, 2006

As far as I can work out, my first client from Proz sought me out because I answered some of his questions and since then I have collaborated on projects with fellow colleagues I've met through Kudoz too. I am still working for the same people I was working for before I ever discovered Proz (back in Aug 2000), so paying for membership has not had a significant impact on my workload or earnings and it's been over five years....

[Edited at 2006-03-15 09:21]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Members: How soon after joining ProZ.com did you meet a client (directly or indirectly)?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search