Poll: For how long did your first client use your services?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 31, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "For how long did your first client use your services?".

This poll was originally submitted by Belkis Díaz-Vidaillet

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "For how long did your first client use your services?".

This poll was originally submitted by Belkis Díaz-Vidaillet

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 17:51
English to German
+ ...
I started out with the TU-Berlin Mar 31, 2006

in the Dept of physics many years ago, and incourse of years moved to various other faculties including, mechanical sciences, IT- Electronics, padagogy, Architecture etc., practically every core field of science and some art and I am still there. TU-Berlin is still my client. Brandis

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Misleading options Mar 31, 2006

Maybe the options should be changed a little bit.

Any colleague who has been in business for 7 years and still sells translations to the first client might have doubts - is "5-10 years" or "Still using my services" the correct choice?

Why not change that last option to "11 years or more"?

Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Bir
... See more

Any colleague who has been in business for 7 years and still sells translations to the first client might have doubts - is "5-10 years" or "Still using my services" the correct choice?

Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail [email protected]
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.technical-translators.net
Internet www.wintitus.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
41 years and still my main customer Mar 31, 2006

Though I have been translating since 1953, I started freelancing comparatively recently, only 41 years ago! In 1965 the first freelance work I applied for was patent abstracting from Russian. The same firm has sent me work regularly every week for all those years. A few years ago the Russian dried up (the Russians now produce their own abstracts in English), so they asked if I could do anything else and I said maybe German. This worked out well, and they are still sending to me.
In the
... See more
Though I have been translating since 1953, I started freelancing comparatively recently, only 41 years ago! In 1965 the first freelance work I applied for was patent abstracting from Russian. The same firm has sent me work regularly every week for all those years. A few years ago the Russian dried up (the Russians now produce their own abstracts in English), so they asked if I could do anything else and I said maybe German. This worked out well, and they are still sending to me.
In the other recent poll about what percentage of work comes from the biggest client, I voted for more than 50%, and this was with reference to this same firm.
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:51
Italian to English
+ ...
I'm impressed! Mar 31, 2006

Jack Doughty wrote:

In the other recent poll about what percentage of work comes from the biggest client, I voted for more than 50%, and this was with reference to this same firm.

Hope I can still say the same thing in 50-odd years....

.... (actually, seeing as I'll be over 85, I really hope I've made enough money to retire by then!)

Hilary Hauck
Hilary Hauck  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:51
Italian to English
+ ...
2nd longest Mar 31, 2006

I actually dropped my first client after working with the company for about 10 years. A new partner had joined and payment got slower and slower. When I was being paid over a year late I threw in the hat. I eventually got all the money they owed me after many phone calls and hassle.
I am, however, still working for my second ever client, and have been since 1994. In the meantime I have moved to a different continent, but rain or shine, he's always there.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I wouldn't have liked to keep my first client Mar 31, 2006

First, he still owe me money, second, I made many beginner mistakes with him (no P.O., accepting a job with a deadline without knowing how many words there were because it was printed, accepting a deadline without having the document in my hands...)

It was good to learn what mustn't be done, but not to keep.
Moreover, I had asked a very low price.

Claudia

diana bb
diana bb  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 18:51
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Was thinking exactly the same Mar 31, 2006

Erik Hansson wrote:

My first 'serious' client has been using my services for over 17 years, so I chose '5-10 years', because '11 years and more' is not among current choices. 'Still using my services' is somewhat ambiguous.

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:51
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
I stopped working for them Mar 31, 2006

My first client was an agency that is/was famous for their payment problems and poor rates. I knew the risks, but still did a few projects for them, just to get some experience. I even got paid, even if the rate was very poor. When I started to get other projects, I told them that I wouldn't continue the collaboration.

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 10:51
English to Russian
+ ...
I agree with Erik too Mar 31, 2006

15 years and still friends.

[Edited at 2006-03-31 22:52]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Almost 35 Years Apr 1, 2006

Well, it's technically not so but in reality it also is. I started out almost 35 years ago doing translations for a school that also had translation as a sideline. For years it was my only source of translation work, but then I also had a full-time job.

The school eventually folded due to circumstances beyond control, which was devastating to the founder who was in all respects "my angel", because though her I was able to develop. Today she looks down upon us from heaven, for surely
... See more
Well, it's technically not so but in reality it also is. I started out almost 35 years ago doing translations for a school that also had translation as a sideline. For years it was my only source of translation work, but then I also had a full-time job.

The school eventually folded due to circumstances beyond control, which was devastating to the founder who was in all respects "my angel", because though her I was able to develop. Today she looks down upon us from heaven, for surely that is where she deserves to be.

Sometime later a former employee of the school started a business based on the one that folded which for all intents and purposes was a continuation of the first business. I have continued doing work for that business until the present day, though it has now been sold to another associate of this second business.

So it's gone through some evolution but there was also continuity through the years; more than enough to say that it is the "same client" I have had for almost 35 years.
Collapse

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Comparing notes Apr 1, 2006

Thank you all,

I also happen to agree with Erik and I was expecting some editing by the Moderators. Alas, what I meant by"still using my services" in this case is that although they may not be your main client now, you still get work from them (mainly when you least expect it!)

On the other hand, I've shared most of the problems some of you have encountered (luckily although that particular company was
... See more
Thank you all,

I also happen to agree with Erik and I was expecting some editing by the Moderators. Alas, what I meant by"still using my services" in this case is that although they may not be your main client now, you still get work from them (mainly when you least expect it!)

On the other hand, I've shared most of the problems some of you have encountered (luckily although that particular company was sold to a mega enterprise, both still use my services.) (Crossing fingers.)

Cheers!
Belkis
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
Member (2004)
English to Italian
No Apr 3, 2006

they dropped me after a couple of years because they found someone with lower rates...

Giovanni

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: For how long did your first client use your services?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »