Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Should Proz.com be WAP Enabled so that we can communicate anywhere anytime?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 12:42
SITE STAFF
Apr 18, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Should Proz.com be WAP Enabled so that we can communicate anywhere anytime?".

This poll was originally submitted by Deependra Pandey

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:42
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
I am having a difficult time understanding this poll question Apr 18, 2006

WAP is a method for wireless communication. I don't see why you say ProZ.com should be WAP enabled. What is special about ProZ.com that requires WAP or how does WAP require ProZ.com?
WAP is only a mechanism for providing wireless access or internet connectivity. So, once you have internet connectivity or wireless access you do have ProZ.com. But at the same time you have the rest of the internet.

Am I missing something?


Monika


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ahmed Dahman  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 22:42
English to Arabic
+ ...
WAP not WEB Apr 18, 2006

The wap is for cellular phones.
There is a web link and a wap link.
The web link is for PC while the second is for your mobile so that you can browse a given site from your cell phone without too much pics and give you exactly what you are looking for.

[Edited at 2006-04-18 03:59]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:12
German to English
Good question, Deependra...... Apr 18, 2006

.......but can you explain further.

If WAP is through mobile phones, then would features like KudoZ or the Blue Board be as effective as through a web link.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yassen Tounev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 22:42
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
I've already tried to connect via WAP:) Apr 18, 2006

Hi, all,
I've already tried to connect Proz.com via WAP/GPRS but in vain... Except introducing WAP it will be OK if SMS job notification feature will be introduced, at least for Platinum Members. If a new job in the approppriate translator's language pair is posted, he/she would receive a SMS text message on his/her mobile. I think, it will be very useful.
Best
Yassen


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Francesca Callegari  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:42
English to Italian
+ ...
I agree with Yassen Apr 18, 2006

Yassen Tounev wrote:

Hi, all,
I've already tried to connect Proz.com via WAP/GPRS but in vain... Except introducing WAP it will be OK if SMS job notification feature will be introduced, at least for Platinum Members. If a new job in the approppriate translator's language pair is posted, he/she would receive a SMS text message on his/her mobile. I think, it will be very useful.
Best
Yassen



I myself think that the opportunity to receive alerts on the phone either dealing with job offers and with proposed answer to the question asked to the community might be useful if travelling or being occupied elsewhere than in front of the pc screen.

Francesca

[Edited at 2006-04-18 09:15]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:42
German to Dutch
+ ...
It does not make sense to me Apr 18, 2006

How should that be useful? When travelling in the "civilized world" I usually have my laptop with me, so I have Internet access in almost any hotel these days. If not, I could go to an Internet cafe, if I feel the urge.

And when I'd like to spend my holidays in remote places where there is no Internet access at all, I'm afraid that my mobile phone would not work either. So, apart from not being eager to see my holidays "disturbed" by job worries, what's the point?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ahmed Dahman  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 22:42
English to Arabic
+ ...
I go with Yassen Apr 18, 2006

Yassen Tounev wrote:

Hi, all,
I've already tried to connect Proz.com via WAP/GPRS but in vain... Except introducing WAP it will be OK if SMS job notification feature will be introduced, at least for Platinum Members. If a new job in the approppriate translator's language pair is posted, he/she would receive a SMS text message on his/her mobile. I think, it will be very useful.
Best
Yassen


The SMS idea is more than great that you will be notified wherever you are.

To WAP, it's also great. I sometime check up my mail box via cell phone when beeing away from my pc and waiting for important messages.

With Respect
A.H.Dahman
http://www.proz.com/pro/129263


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Deependra Pandey  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:12
Member (2005)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Quote on time. Apr 18, 2006

avantix wrote:

How should that be useful? When travelling in the "civilized world" I usually have my laptop with me, so I have Internet access in almost any hotel these days. If not, I could go to an Internet cafe, if I feel the urge.

And when I'd like to spend my holidays in remote places where there is no Internet access at all, I'm afraid that my mobile phone would not work either. So, apart from not being eager to see my holidays "disturbed" by job worries, what's the point?


WAP enability refers to SMS notifications especially for job alerts on your language pairs. As Yassen said in his quote.

That might help us in great way to apply for a job on time, while when we go to some cafe or opens our laptop as per our conveynience, we see "15 quotes received" many times, which leads sometimes in non receiving of an order.

Rgds
Deependra


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Deependra Pandey  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:12
Member (2005)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SMS through WAP. Apr 18, 2006

Monika Coulson wrote:

WAP is a method for wireless communication. I don't see why you say ProZ.com should be WAP enabled. What is special about ProZ.com that requires WAP or how does WAP require ProZ.com?
WAP is only a mechanism for providing wireless access or internet connectivity. So, once you have internet connectivity or wireless access you do have ProZ.com. But at the same time you have the rest of the internet.

Am I missing something?


Monika





Hi Monika

WAP enability also help you to receive a job notification on your table while having breakfast or reading newspaper. Receiving and quoting a job on time might helps all of us to develop new fruitful relationships.

Wireless connectiving somehow counts secondary as this is to surf internet (either on phone or onto your laptop) after receiving a notification on time.

I believe I have made it clear.

Cheers!!!
Deependra


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Deependra Pandey  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:12
Member (2005)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Best Explained.... Apr 18, 2006

Ahmed Dahman wrote:

The wap is for cellular phones.
There is a web link and a wap link.
The web link is for PC while the second is for your mobile so that you can browse a given site from your cell phone without too much pics and give you exactly what you are looking for.

[Edited at 2006-04-18 03:59]


Hi Ahmed

Perhaps you have explained this in a better way and also salute to you for following policies here

Cheers!!!
Deependra


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Deependra Pandey  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:12
Member (2005)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Thanks. Apr 18, 2006

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

.......but can you explain further.

If WAP is through mobile phones, then would features like KudoZ or the Blue Board be as effective as through a web link.



Hi Niraja

Thanks. Doubtful through WAP. But surfing Kudoz or BlueBoard is quite possible using iPOD / PDA or Blackberry. I am successfully using this feature.

Cheers!!!
Deependra


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:42
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
WAP is not useful for more complex tasks Apr 18, 2006

The speed of WAP allows only simple text-based applications and the interactions are awkward and the speed too slow. I use it for news headers, weather forcasts etc.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ma. Fernanda Blesa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:42
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think it would be a nice option Apr 18, 2006

... although I don't think I'd use it, I certainly can see the benefit of receiving an SMS to alert you of a job you might be interested in quoting for.

And on a side note, wouldn't it be nice to have a ringtone with the Proz song for our mobiles?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Should Proz.com be WAP Enabled so that we can communicate anywhere anytime?

Advanced search






TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search