https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/46397-poll_do_you_prefer_working_with_local_agencies_or_with_worldwide_agencies.html

Poll: Do you prefer working with local agencies or with worldwide agencies?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 3, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you prefer working with local agencies or with worldwide agencies?".

This poll was originally submitted by Daniela Boito

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run.
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you prefer working with local agencies or with worldwide agencies?".

This poll was originally submitted by Daniela Boito

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:11
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Informality May 3, 2006

Informality has no nationality. So, I don't care the place where the agency is located.

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:11
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Local rates May 3, 2006

Depending on which country you live in, local rates can be significantly lower than US/European rates. Some Israeli agencies know how to get high rates; most are below my minimum rate.

Stephen Rifkind

Katharine Prucha
Katharine Prucha  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:11
Italian to English
+ ...
low rates May 3, 2006

The same is true for me - rates in Italy are generally quite a bit lower than overseas rates! It does make a difference

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Local can mean several things - at least, in my case May 3, 2006

Local according to language: as my target language is Turkish, agencies in Turkey would be local in that case. Unfortunately, I do not work for them because of very low rates. But I have other clients in Turkey, namely, publishers and a couple of occasional direct clients.

If local is to be defined according to location: I live in Germany, and either that German agencies don't have too many assignments in my pair, or I haven't had much success with them. I have just one client who s
... See more
Local according to language: as my target language is Turkish, agencies in Turkey would be local in that case. Unfortunately, I do not work for them because of very low rates. But I have other clients in Turkey, namely, publishers and a couple of occasional direct clients.

If local is to be defined according to location: I live in Germany, and either that German agencies don't have too many assignments in my pair, or I haven't had much success with them. I have just one client who sends me occasional small jobs. Each assignment begins with a confirmation that I don't translate from German, so, yes, they can send me the English original and ends with mutual expression of wishes to work on a larger assignment soon

Most of my clients are from the neighboring Benelux countries and from the US. At least in my experience, the former pay better. In Europe, rates in some countries are higher than in Americas and elsewhere. But there are countries where agencies pay very low rates. (And the realization of this is what makes me edit my posting.) As I don't have any direct clients in these places, I cannot comment on that part.

[Edited at 2006-05-03 10:58]
Collapse

Sandra C.
Sandra C.
France
English to French
+ ...
Don't care May 3, 2006

As long as I don't have to go chase them around the world to get my money!! It IS slightly easier to get a local agency to pay what is owed rather than one located in another country

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 00:11
English to Chinese
+ ...
Definitely Foreign Agencies! May 3, 2006

Local Chinese agencies pay around USD 0.01 !!

If only they realised they'd get more projects if they paid more competitive rates!

Mark

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:11
German to English
+ ...
Don't care May 3, 2006

I really don't care, but due to my language combination and my location in a very small, very poor country, I have never worked with a local agency (plenty of pro bono work though). Other than that, it doesn't make much difference to me where the agency is, if they don't care where I am.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Local May 3, 2006

... and I live in Italy too. I just don't deal with the agencies that want to pay a pittance, that's all. There are plenty of decently-paying agencies in Italy.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 10:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Local gives me feedback May 4, 2006

I prefer to work for local agencies, though I do international work as well. In Puerto Rico, the local agency I work with pays much better than the international ones, but that's not my main reason for preferring them. At the local agency, I know the owner, the secretary, and many of the other translators; I can get help from them when needed, and I can get feedback on my work. We revise and edit each other's work, which leads to continuous learning and growth as a translator.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you prefer working with local agencies or with worldwide agencies?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »