Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How long after delivery do you delete translated files?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 10, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How long after delivery do you delete translated files?".

This poll was originally submitted by Oleg Rudavin

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more inform
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How long after delivery do you delete translated files?".

This poll was originally submitted by Oleg Rudavin

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Another option May 11, 2006

I would suggest another option- After being paid in full.

Jennifer

Szymon Metkowski
Szymon Metkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:35
German to Polish
+ ...
Why should I? May 11, 2006

My translation is my intelectual property. Why should I waste my property?

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 10:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
I may need the document again May 11, 2006

It has happened to me that some people ask me to translate the same o a very similar document after several years, among others transcripts, labels, and birth certificates.

Christopher Burin
Christopher Burin  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:35
French to English
+ ...
Never May 11, 2006

I have quite a lot of regular clients, and the texts often cover the same ground, so it's always useful to keep them and my translations of them. Also, for tax purposes as a freelancer! And of course for getting vocab from the texts - languages are always expanding, and I find it really helps to keep original texts and translations so I can refer back to them, although I write down vocab as I come across it too - it's easy to do "find" in a vocab list afterwards, to find your last definition of ... See more
I have quite a lot of regular clients, and the texts often cover the same ground, so it's always useful to keep them and my translations of them. Also, for tax purposes as a freelancer! And of course for getting vocab from the texts - languages are always expanding, and I find it really helps to keep original texts and translations so I can refer back to them, although I write down vocab as I come across it too - it's easy to do "find" in a vocab list afterwards, to find your last definition of a word I also feel that if you've done the work, deleting it feels like throwing away your time.

[Edited at 2006-05-11 06:55]
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
never May 11, 2006

However, I do burn everything on to a CD every three months to clear space. Therefore, I will always have a copy of the file, even if it is not actually on my computer.

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
A question of property May 11, 2006

I have only deleted one job in my career, because it was highly confidential and dealt with "hacking" techniques (a large company had ordered a perimeter analysis).

Other than that, DVDs are very cheap and I prefer to have everything I've done. Sometimes I reuse it, vocabulary wise. And I do remember what I have done before and for whom, so it is easy to locate it when something simil
... See more
I have only deleted one job in my career, because it was highly confidential and dealt with "hacking" techniques (a large company had ordered a perimeter analysis).

Other than that, DVDs are very cheap and I prefer to have everything I've done. Sometimes I reuse it, vocabulary wise. And I do remember what I have done before and for whom, so it is easy to locate it when something similar arises.

P.
www.pbayle.com/blogs
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Squirrel instinct May 11, 2006

Keep everything.
Storage is cheap.

A little off-topic:

I know that Copernic Desktop search is capable of only keeping one index file, so if you index one hard drive, you can't index another, or a CD.

Any ideas how to keep tabs on files on removable media?

Pawel Skalinski

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Why should I, really? May 11, 2006

I still keep my school assignments and paintbook from the 2nd grade

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
but... May 11, 2006

who's that 0.9% of translators who delete their files almost immediately?

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Spies or paranoid? May 11, 2006

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
who's that 0.9% of translators who delete their files almost immediately?

In films you see people who read a message on a piece of paper, and then immediately burn it. Perhaps they have found their way into our profession, too.

Actually, I have had a couple of clients with contractual paranoia - they sent contracts to sign which insisted that I delete everything immediately after I have processed it - and in one case that I store any documents or printouts in a locked safe and that I do not keep any of their material in a translation memory (my work for that client ceased at that point).

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 12:35
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
I keep it all! May 11, 2006

Recently I purchased an external hard drive. It is large enough to accomodate work for several years to come. I love to think that I can tuck everything I have ever done under my arm!

Reed

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 09:35
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
When? May 11, 2006

I actually haven't deleted any translated files in the last four years since I moved here, but due to hardware failure I've lost everything I had from 1997 to 2002.

Anyway, I thought I'd never delete anything because I would always need to refer back to the different works I've done, but now that I'm using Trados I think I'll probably go back after a couple of years or so and delete those projects that have been "recorded" with the memory tool. I actually have a scheme set up for b
... See more
I actually haven't deleted any translated files in the last four years since I moved here, but due to hardware failure I've lost everything I had from 1997 to 2002.

Anyway, I thought I'd never delete anything because I would always need to refer back to the different works I've done, but now that I'm using Trados I think I'll probably go back after a couple of years or so and delete those projects that have been "recorded" with the memory tool. I actually have a scheme set up for backing up these reference files so that I can keep them for as long as I need.

[Edited at 2006-05-11 23:40]
Collapse

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Still another option May 11, 2006

The option I miss here is something like "after several years". I must confess to my (just a bit) younger colleagues that I decided to get rid of some files dating back to mid-1980s ... Although I may have a forgotten copy on some CD, who knows ...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long after delivery do you delete translated files?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »