Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Would you participate in a Trados whole-day training by a colleague?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 30, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you participate in a Trados whole-day trainig by a colleague?".

This poll was originally submitted by Jerzy Czopik

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. Fo
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you participate in a Trados whole-day trainig by a colleague?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-05-31 00:37]
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:40
German to English
Workshops as a ProZ.com feature May 30, 2006

I clicked on the "Yes, I would pay" option.

I think it would be interesting if we could organize workshops on various aspects of translation and interpretation through ProZ.com, in the same way that powwows and conferences are organized.

This could help in improving our skills and would also be another way of interacting with colleagues.

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
No, only by a professional (!?) May 30, 2006

I thought translators were professionals. If a translator can't teach about Trados, then who can?
J.

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:10
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Why only Trados? May 30, 2006

As if we only needed to know about Trados.... there are so many other skills that we could learn from colleagues... and I agree, many translators are much more knowledgeable than the so called "professional trainers".

I participated once to a training session, paid (a small fortune) by the company where I was working at the time.
The professional trainer was boring (and bored herself) and could not answer a single question above "beginners level".
She had to go throug
... See more
As if we only needed to know about Trados.... there are so many other skills that we could learn from colleagues... and I agree, many translators are much more knowledgeable than the so called "professional trainers".

I participated once to a training session, paid (a small fortune) by the company where I was working at the time.
The professional trainer was boring (and bored herself) and could not answer a single question above "beginners level".
She had to go through her script, and anything out of the marked path was a total mistery to her...

Training is better done by people having real experience, not by beginners parroting a lesson learned the day before...

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-05-30 09:52]
Collapse

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 11:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
TRADOS and other tools May 30, 2006

I'd love to, especially because TRADOS and CAT tools in general are not very popular in my country. In fact, I have unsuccessfully tried to find people here who can explain to me how these work.

I would really appreciate such training by people who are experienced in the use of such tools, not by professional trainers, who are mostly interested in selling the product.

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:10
German to French
+ ...
Yes, but not only for Trados May 30, 2006

I took the word Trados as meaning "CAT-Tool" since I'm not particularly interested in training for Trados, but I agree with the idea of workshop-powwows. As the others, I find that people who use a system are more likely to give relevant explanations than those who just want to sell it!

Zoltán Törőcsik
Zoltán Törőcsik
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes... May 30, 2006

...of course, at any time, even if I gotta pay for it (some reasonable amount, as we have to face very unreasonable financial situations in Hungary currently as regards translation assignments and requirements). Just a short remark to those being quite doubtful about arranging such workshops, meetings, discussions etc.: you don't want it, you don't participate in it. It's not tricky, is it?. I myself would very much appreciate such a briefing on TRADOS, 'cause I tried the free version, which I d... See more
...of course, at any time, even if I gotta pay for it (some reasonable amount, as we have to face very unreasonable financial situations in Hungary currently as regards translation assignments and requirements). Just a short remark to those being quite doubtful about arranging such workshops, meetings, discussions etc.: you don't want it, you don't participate in it. It's not tricky, is it?. I myself would very much appreciate such a briefing on TRADOS, 'cause I tried the free version, which I downloaded a year ago and tested a couple of months ago (don't ask reasons why) and I noticed that TRADOS is not that easy-to-use, it is not as convenient as it has been advertised on the website, it has long use instructions, which in several cases did not match the application functions of the free version, so that I am not convinced at all after all. Who is? So, guys, it is a good idea to see how it works on edge, let's do it. I am ready to be into it.Collapse

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:10
English to German
workshop-powwows May 30, 2006

What an interesting idea!

This should definitely be brought to the attention of Enrique Cavalitto, our Community Manager, who would be able to assist in developing the concept and makeit a feature on the Community menu.

As others have mentioned, Prozians with a solid knowledge and/or interest in a particular software application could offer these training sessions in various locations. 1/2- or 1-day sessions might be a way forward, or a combination of beginner-level an
... See more
What an interesting idea!

This should definitely be brought to the attention of Enrique Cavalitto, our Community Manager, who would be able to assist in developing the concept and makeit a feature on the Community menu.

As others have mentioned, Prozians with a solid knowledge and/or interest in a particular software application could offer these training sessions in various locations. 1/2- or 1-day sessions might be a way forward, or a combination of beginner-level and advanced-level sessions spread over 2 days but with the option of booking both courses or just the one.

Thank you Jerzy for this poll - it has certainly kick started some people's brain cells

BTW, I've voted 'Yes, and I would pay' but based on 'Trados' reading 'CAT tool and/or other software applications'

[Edited at 2006-05-30 10:19]
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Please correct the typo!!! May 30, 2006

"training" not "trainig"

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:10
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, and I would pay... May 30, 2006

...if it's a reasonable amount of money, of course. I don't care who teaches the course, as long as the person has lots of experience and an outstanding knowledge about the subject, with all the possibilities TRADOS can offer. A chemical engineer once taught English editing at university, and he often did it much better than other qualified English teachers.

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Interesting results May 30, 2006

Interesting to see so many people wanting free training. Where are all these benevolent angels willing to give up their professional time at no cost?

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Present! May 30, 2006

Jeremy Smith wrote:

Interesting to see so many people wanting free training. Where are all these benevolent angels willing to give up their professional time at no cost?

I have given up my time at no cost (not on technological matters, of course)

I have received training on Trados from prozian colleagues for free.

I voted: YES AND I WOULD PAY. (I need to know more!)

Au

Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
I voted yes even paying (depends on how much it costs) May 30, 2006

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Hi!
After having seen in Berlin how good Jerzy Czopik can explain about those matters AND what a professional he is and the deep knowledge he has, I just can say:

When is this course going to take place????

Off course, it depends on how much it costs but I a very much interested on this.

So Jerzy???? WHEN??? ;o)))

Helena1962

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Trados May 30, 2006

I think this poll should be (clearly) limited to only those, who use Trados, or it should have an option: "I don't use Trados", which IMO, is different from option "Not interested in training", which may mean "not interested, bec I don't have it" or "not interested, bec I'm master of it".

Anni

Ladislav Filo (X)
Ladislav Filo (X)  Identity Verified
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
Why Trados? May 30, 2006

There is missing an opportunity like "Not interested in Trados".

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you participate in a Trados whole-day training by a colleague?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »