https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/49569-poll%3A_do_you_use_messengers.html

Poll: Do you use messengers?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 16, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use messengers?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:24
English to French
+ ...
For work and fun... Jun 17, 2006

...although the fun part is pretty sporadic. Honestly, do you have much time to chat for fun when you are a freelancer? And, really, after spending the day in front of the computer, don't you feel like doing something else than use the computer to communicate for fun? I think IMs are best for keeping in touch with friends that live in other cities or countries. Otherwise, I'd much rather pick up the phone - or go have a drink. But it IS useful for work - sometimes. I just don't like clients spyi... See more
...although the fun part is pretty sporadic. Honestly, do you have much time to chat for fun when you are a freelancer? And, really, after spending the day in front of the computer, don't you feel like doing something else than use the computer to communicate for fun? I think IMs are best for keeping in touch with friends that live in other cities or countries. Otherwise, I'd much rather pick up the phone - or go have a drink. But it IS useful for work - sometimes. I just don't like clients spying on me while I work, so when I work, my IM is off - and I only turn it on upon request, when there is no way around it.Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 08:24
English to German
Some opinions Jun 17, 2006

Look here. Sorry, I'll have to wake up before I say more. zzzZZZZ

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/122/1

http://www.proz.com/topic/33852

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

for work, fun... Jun 17, 2006

...and as a best way of staying in touch with my family and friends. I'm living in Spain and with my parents in Poland, my brother in China and some friends in Argentina or Russia I would really go bankrupt when using a regular phone... I don't consider it a "for fun" purpose as it's the only effective way to share my life with people I reallly care about (emailing is much more boring than chatting or calling with a messenger).

[Edited at 2006-06-17 12:48]

Sandra C.
Sandra C.
France
English to French
+ ...
email, baby Jun 17, 2006

Personally, I prefer just using email as there's no pressure to reply immediately... and it's really fast anyway! I like having time to think about my answer before I send it off or sometimes I'm just not in the mood to "chat", even via email (actually, I'm just not a big "chatter" in general).
I'm not much of a phone person: I find it intrusive and don't answer it if I'm engaged in doing something else I deem to be more important. So IM is not really for me: talk about intrusive!
Bu
... See more
Personally, I prefer just using email as there's no pressure to reply immediately... and it's really fast anyway! I like having time to think about my answer before I send it off or sometimes I'm just not in the mood to "chat", even via email (actually, I'm just not a big "chatter" in general).
I'm not much of a phone person: I find it intrusive and don't answer it if I'm engaged in doing something else I deem to be more important. So IM is not really for me: talk about intrusive!
But that's just my opinion, or should I say my "current" opinion and it might change down the road...
Collapse

John Walsh
John Walsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
me too Jun 17, 2006

Sandra Chiancone wrote:
I'm not much of a phone person:

I hate the phone but just love messenger.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree with Sandra 100% Jun 17, 2006

Sandra Chiancone wrote:

But that's just my opinion, or should I say my "current" opinion and it might change down the road...

I have long, wonderful email conversations with a few close friends. We compose our letters thoughtfully (dare I say, wittily?) the way people used to when letters took several days to arrive. I will write to my friend, then shut down my dialup (the tech guys say I'll have my DSL functioning in a week or two), work an hour on a translation, then fire up again and find an answer--my reward for all that hard work!

I find phone and messengers very intrusive, unless by previous arrangement. My kids and I send emails to set up a mutually convenient time for a phone call.

Stuart Allsop
Stuart Allsop  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
Amen! Jun 17, 2006

Sandra Chiancone wrote:

AMEN!

What the lady said!

Besides, messenger programs are famous for security flaws: the more security holes I can keep off my system, the better!

No messenger for me, thanks!

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
No I don't like them Jun 19, 2006

That's the answer I chose, though it would have been more correct to chose :
No because I don't like them but still I sometimes use them when I have have a big need to talk urgently to someone who I know is often connected.
Pretty complicated, isn't it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use messengers?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »