Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How often do you back up hard disc contents?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Gabriella Ambs-Wettstein
Gabriella Ambs-Wettstein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:29
English to German
+ ...
Never ever again! Jun 20, 2006

I thought splitting hard drive up into different partitions would be the solution. But... two years ago I had one of these awful hard drive crashes and all my files were gone. I now save important files immediately after delivery on a partition of my computer, an external hard disk and, by file-transfer, on my father-in-law's computer. Same procedure once a week for the rest of my "translation" partition.

Kindest regards
Gabriella

P.S. My IT-teacher suggested a ra
... See more
I thought splitting hard drive up into different partitions would be the solution. But... two years ago I had one of these awful hard drive crashes and all my files were gone. I now save important files immediately after delivery on a partition of my computer, an external hard disk and, by file-transfer, on my father-in-law's computer. Same procedure once a week for the rest of my "translation" partition.

Kindest regards
Gabriella

P.S. My IT-teacher suggested a raid-controller. The next time I saw him he was all shattered. His raid-controller had failed...
Collapse

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:29
English to German
several times a day Jun 20, 2006

On large projects, I back up the translation files and queries I'm collecting at least twice a day, usually at lunchtime and when I finish work for the day. For this, I zip up the relevant files and transfer them to an external USB HDD using the Copy selected Items command in Windows Explorer.

I also back up important items such as my invoices, the Excel files for my accountant, the bookmarks in my browser, Outlook address book etc. every so often. The aim is to do this monthly but
... See more
On large projects, I back up the translation files and queries I'm collecting at least twice a day, usually at lunchtime and when I finish work for the day. For this, I zip up the relevant files and transfer them to an external USB HDD using the Copy selected Items command in Windows Explorer.

I also back up important items such as my invoices, the Excel files for my accountant, the bookmarks in my browser, Outlook address book etc. every so often. The aim is to do this monthly but I have to admit, I don't do it every month. Though I have just created a serial appointment in Outlook and set it to remind me to do this once a month from now on!

TMs are not so critical for me because my clients provide up-to-date TMs with each project but I back them up daily while working on a project.
Collapse

Armando Diaz
Armando Diaz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Back up and twice Jun 20, 2006

I back up once a month, everything and twice. I was backing everything up into an external hard disk unit. When it died, I realized, i had to backup to permanent media to, so now I backup to dvd's too.

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's not very realistic... Jun 21, 2006

So before we start to speak about backup frist split your HDD to at least two partitions and write all your data (projects and so on) on a different partition, where no programmes are installed. If something happens to your system your data will be still available and not damaged.

The only way to mantain data safe is by backing up into an external drive, i.e. a different HDD not mounted in the same CPU. The main reason here is that if the power supply dies (something which they tend to do more frequently than we think), the HDDs supplied by it will develop "weird" problems, like losing the table for locating the files, or getting a few sectors affected, and so on.

This past weekend it happened to me and my 2 HDDs were damaged... So the only safe way of keeping data is keeping it in another device (be it an external HDD, DVDs, ftp) that doesn't have anything in common with your actual CPU.

My 849.00 euros (what the new CPU cost)...

P.
www.pbayle.com/blogs

[Edited at 2006-06-21 02:34]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you back up hard disc contents?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »