Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Where do you work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 29, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Where do you work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Orla Ryan

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
I replied "Other" Jun 29, 2006

I don't work in a separate room at home, or in my bedroom. I work in the living room, the hub of family activity. I can't afford to shut myself away for hours - I have to physically be there for everyone (a mother's work is never done). If it does get too loud, a headphone and some classical music works wonders.

Herminia Herrándiz Espuny
Herminia Herrándiz Espuny  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
My bedroom Jun 29, 2006

Since I am still living at my parents home (I'm waiting for the permissions to get water on the house I just bought) I replied my bedroom

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
... Jun 29, 2006

I think, at the time I submitted the poll (think it was last year!?), I was scouting around for office space but nothing suitable or affordable came up. So I work in the kitchen during the day when my flatmates are out. I finish up around 5pm before they all come home. If I need to work at night, I will do it in my room.

Because I'm in rented accomodation and have to share with other people, having a special seperate room in the house isn't an option for me (but that would be my dr
... See more
I think, at the time I submitted the poll (think it was last year!?), I was scouting around for office space but nothing suitable or affordable came up. So I work in the kitchen during the day when my flatmates are out. I finish up around 5pm before they all come home. If I need to work at night, I will do it in my room.

Because I'm in rented accomodation and have to share with other people, having a special seperate room in the house isn't an option for me (but that would be my dream preference).

It's not ideal but that's just how it is at the moment. Dublin accomodation is so expensive, renting a flat on one's own is just not done, people always have to share.
Collapse

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Separate home office Jun 29, 2006

I work in a separate room in my home that serves as my office only. It has its own door right off the entryway, so it is possible to enter the office without traipsing through my living areas! Handy if anyone needs to come and see me at my "office".

Psychologically, for me it is really important to have a separate space--and to leave that space at the end of the work day. That said, I am not sure if I would want the hassle of going out to a rented office space outside of my home eve
... See more
I work in a separate room in my home that serves as my office only. It has its own door right off the entryway, so it is possible to enter the office without traipsing through my living areas! Handy if anyone needs to come and see me at my "office".

Psychologically, for me it is really important to have a separate space--and to leave that space at the end of the work day. That said, I am not sure if I would want the hassle of going out to a rented office space outside of my home every day. After four years of working from home, I am now too used to working in my slippers!

Real estate is pretty expensive in Grenoble, too. Unfortunately, I had to choose between an office and a guest room. Guests have to sleep on the sofa bed in the living room!

Sharing an office sounds like a great idea. Has anyone done that, and if so, how has it worked out for you?

Sara (on cup of coffee number 2 and still in my pj's).
Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Bedroom Jun 29, 2006

Herminia Herrandiz Espuny wrote:

Since I am still living at my parents home (...) I replied my bedroom

Similar with me

Anni

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
thank goodness for laptops!! Jun 29, 2006

When I started out three years ago, I had a PC in my bedroom. As you can imagine, it was not long until I was going crazy! I bought a laptop as soon as I could and I'm (sort of) sane again.

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:

Psychologically, for me it is really important to have a separate space--and to leave that space at the end of the work day. That said, I am not sure if I would want the hassle of going out to a rented office space outside of my home every day. After four years of working from home, I am now too used to working in my slippers!

Real estate is pretty expensive in Grenoble, too. Unfortunately, I had to choose between an office and a guest room. Guests have to sleep on the sofa bed in the living room!

Sharing an office sounds like a great idea. Has anyone done that, and if so, how has it worked out for you?

Sara (on cup of coffee number 2 and still in my pj's).

[Edited at 2006-06-29 08:56]

Emmanuelle Hingant
Emmanuelle Hingant  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
one in bedroom, one is separate room Jun 29, 2006

Both my boyfriend and me are freelancers. So he works in our bedroom and I work in a separate room (that has a bed though, we're renting so no choice). I don't think we could make it working in the same room and they are too small anyway to have two desks.

The ideal situation would be to have three rooms: two offices and one bedroom (the guests in the living room!) but we cannot afford it. Some day we hope.

E.

Ingrid Lovric
Ingrid Lovric
English to Croatian
+ ...
Bedroom/Living room Jun 29, 2006

I answered bedroom, but to be honest it s my living room, as well.

I live in such a tiny apartment (currently in the process of buying a new one that will hopefully have my own work space - I am so looking forward to it), that my living room is my bedroom

As well, I am a mom, so it is quite convenient to look after my 3-year old monster, a
... See more
I answered bedroom, but to be honest it s my living room, as well.

I live in such a tiny apartment (currently in the process of buying a new one that will hopefully have my own work space - I am so looking forward to it), that my living room is my bedroom

As well, I am a mom, so it is quite convenient to look after my 3-year old monster, and work at the same time!

And now, let's go back to work!

Ingrid
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Separate room but I got rid of my internal doors Jun 29, 2006

I remodelled my house last year and now I work in what originally was the dining room. It adjoins the kitchen but is not in the living room. I get a full view of the street where I live. It is great! Dead easy when I want to make coffee too.

My desk is a slab of granite to fit in with the kitchen and it is absolutely beautiful.

I am surrounded by bookshelves and all my dictionaries. I decided that since I work at least 10 hours a day, my working space had to have priori
... See more
I remodelled my house last year and now I work in what originally was the dining room. It adjoins the kitchen but is not in the living room. I get a full view of the street where I live. It is great! Dead easy when I want to make coffee too.

My desk is a slab of granite to fit in with the kitchen and it is absolutely beautiful.

I am surrounded by bookshelves and all my dictionaries. I decided that since I work at least 10 hours a day, my working space had to have priority. Also, my children can see me all the time, so I am there for them.
Collapse

Dusica Cook
Dusica Cook
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
not bedroom - kitchen! Jun 29, 2006

kitchen is the main room of my flat! i cook there, the kid has her desk where she does her homework there, i have my desk from which i work... everything is in the kitchen. mind you, it is a large kitchen - obviously!

living room is used for rest, tv, activities and guests

bedrooms are bedrooms! we just sleep there. as someone said before "mother's work is never done", i found it most comfortable to be here where she can ask all the questions she needs, where lunch neve
... See more
kitchen is the main room of my flat! i cook there, the kid has her desk where she does her homework there, i have my desk from which i work... everything is in the kitchen. mind you, it is a large kitchen - obviously!

living room is used for rest, tv, activities and guests

bedrooms are bedrooms! we just sleep there. as someone said before "mother's work is never done", i found it most comfortable to be here where she can ask all the questions she needs, where lunch never burns if i am around and where i can isolate the work from leisure
Collapse

Paola Prodan
Paola Prodan  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Separate room Jun 29, 2006

When I began working as a freelancer, I worked in my bedroom because I was living with my parents, and after 2 years I was almost crazy. I couldn't sleep well in the place I had been working 10 hours a day. I felt that I didn't have my own space.

Since I got married, I've been working in a separate room in my house, and I share this room with my husband's PC. He doesn't work at home, but he has his own PC with all his stuff so as not to bother me. It's also nice because he can be t
... See more
When I began working as a freelancer, I worked in my bedroom because I was living with my parents, and after 2 years I was almost crazy. I couldn't sleep well in the place I had been working 10 hours a day. I felt that I didn't have my own space.

Since I got married, I've been working in a separate room in my house, and I share this room with my husband's PC. He doesn't work at home, but he has his own PC with all his stuff so as not to bother me. It's also nice because he can be there with me when he's at home for some reason and I have to work.

I really love this room because it has a big window through which I can see my patio and my dog, and I have natural lightning almost all day. I also have all my dictionaries and papers with me. Very comfortable!

Greetings from Argentina!
Paola
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Half of the living room Jun 29, 2006

It doesn't bother me a lot, because my child isn't very young and she's quite independent (won't be surprised if she chooses to work on a freelancing basis in whatever she chooses to do in the future) and we don't have many people around and we live in a relatively quiet place (even during this World Cup craze). I would still prefer to have a separate room, though, and spread all my dicos on the other half of the floor, as well ... See more
It doesn't bother me a lot, because my child isn't very young and she's quite independent (won't be surprised if she chooses to work on a freelancing basis in whatever she chooses to do in the future) and we don't have many people around and we live in a relatively quiet place (even during this World Cup craze). I would still prefer to have a separate room, though, and spread all my dicos on the other half of the floor, as well But I can't afford it at this moment. As for sharing office space, no, thank you. Just like Sara, I've grown too used to working in slippers and pj's, and also to working at whatever time I'd like to, discussing terminology with myself, etc. Someone working next to me would be an unwelcome distraction, even in pure silence!

[Edited at 2006-06-29 14:47]
Collapse

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 00:33
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Separate room off the kitchen Jun 29, 2006

I live in an apartment. When my second child was born, he got his own room and we moved the computer room to what used to be a sort of laundry room. I have a view of a busy street and a supermarket. Since it is off the kitchen, and next to the washing machine and dryer, I am able to get food and do the laundry without going out of my way.

Reed

Joy Lewis
Joy Lewis
Barbados
Local time: 00:33
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Separate home office Jun 29, 2006

Just moved into a two-bedroom apartment overlooking acres of cane fields and converted the 2nd bedroom into a proper home office (I live alone). When I get tired of staring at the computer screen I just have to raise my gaze a few inches for a view of young canes swaying in the gentle breeze. It’s brilliant.

Greetings from the Caribbean island of Barbados.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Where do you work?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »