Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: While translating do you tend to use older constructions or modern more updated constructions?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 3, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "While translating do you tend to use older constructions or modern more updated constructions?".

This poll was originally submitted by Brandis

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: <
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "While translating do you tend to use older constructions or modern more updated constructions?".

This poll was originally submitted by Brandis

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:16
English to Arabic
+ ...
I'm sorry - what exactly does that mean? Jul 3, 2006

[Edited at 2006-07-03 17:31]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably register Jul 3, 2006

in which case, it's not really a question of choice (unless you're free to choose). I mean, some texts will call for archaic language or registers in order to have the same effect as the original.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Brandis. It's a guess.

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Or it could mean "sentence construction", Jul 3, 2006

ie. punctuation, clauses etc. - that's what I take it to mean, although as Parrot rightly said for register, you don't really have much choice there ...

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Sorry, I don't get it Jul 3, 2006

Brandis,
Could you please explain "constructions"?
Thanks.
Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
... See more
Brandis,
Could you please explain "constructions"?
Thanks.
Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail [email protected]
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.technical-translators.net
Internet www.wintitus.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Register Jul 3, 2006

I interpret it as referring to "register". Therefore, we should always use whatever register is appropriate to the text we are translating.

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
Waiter... Jul 3, 2006

check please.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Another poll Jul 3, 2006

Do you understand this poll?

I understand:

* 100%

* 50%

* 25%

* 0%

* Other

* I'm mixed up. How should I know?

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
My vote in Andy's poll Jul 3, 2006

0%.

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't get it either Jul 3, 2006

I am with Jack:
My vote in Andy's poll: 0%

When I saw the question I really started wondering and was glad to see that even English native speakers don't understand the question behind the poll.

And if it is about sentence "construction" - who decides which structure is old or more modern?
If it is about words and expressions - I would say it all depends on the source text, so nothing to vote about.

Michaela

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
sorry I should have been more precise... Jul 3, 2006

Sorry for having confused you. I was referring both to language constructions and the TM matches. I have a colleague who is a legal translator since the 80s. Those days the legal language was slightly different and despite older trados versions, people didn´t worry about the matches much. The matches scenes took importance (atleast in our context) during the 90s, my colleage used to give his clients some discount and make it look that he is being generous. Now since a few years he is not in a p... See more
Sorry for having confused you. I was referring both to language constructions and the TM matches. I have a colleague who is a legal translator since the 80s. Those days the legal language was slightly different and despite older trados versions, people didn´t worry about the matches much. The matches scenes took importance (atleast in our context) during the 90s, my colleage used to give his clients some discount and make it look that he is being generous. Now since a few years he is not in a position to use those memories, due to the changes in the legal lanauges inparticular in Germany. May be the poll must be split, before it gets complicated.Best Brandis

[Edited at 2006-07-04 02:13]
Collapse

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
I understood you perfectly Jul 4, 2006

I understood you perfectly, and I'm sure others out there did too. It is very tempting just to use the same old formulas but I definately make an effort to thread in some very new, hip turns of phrase into my translations. My main combination is Spanish to English. While Spanish leans towards traditional forms of expressions, at times using metaphors that are so old they are corny - I definately try to make these texts sound more up to date - English is often at the cutting edge of language expr... See more
I understood you perfectly, and I'm sure others out there did too. It is very tempting just to use the same old formulas but I definately make an effort to thread in some very new, hip turns of phrase into my translations. My main combination is Spanish to English. While Spanish leans towards traditional forms of expressions, at times using metaphors that are so old they are corny - I definately try to make these texts sound more up to date - English is often at the cutting edge of language expression, combining simple forms of expression with high-impact words. Obviously I look towards the press in order to do this, and parallel texts on the Internet. I voted for mix them up a bit, as the source text sets the limits.

[Editado a las 2006-07-04 06:22]
Collapse

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 06:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
Poll for polls sake Jul 4, 2006

I didn't get it so I chose N/A

These polls seem to get more and more ridiculous....what...are you that desperate for browniZ points?

Especially after the one at the weekend that asked "how often do you log in to Proz?"....dah....the poll runs for a couple of days and some of the options are "weekly", "monthly" and "rarely"

Come on people...get creative...be imaginative or better still get some work to do:)

Mark

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Well spoken! Jul 4, 2006

Chinese Concept wrote:

These polls seem to get more and more ridiculous....

Very well spoken! By the way, I always thought that all polls were approved by ProZ staff before being shown on the site. Or am I wrong?

Suggestions for polls:

- Do you have a computer?
- Can you understand English?
- Do you ever take part in polls?
- If you're on vacation right now, do you have the opportunity to visit the ProZ site?

Erik

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
English Jul 4, 2006

Suggestions for polls:

(...)
- Can you understand English?(...)

Erik

Actually this one could turn out quite interesting. I have a colleague, whose English is very limited. She was barely able to use ProZ.com, until it got Russian version

But I suppose not many people here don't work with English at all in their language pairs

Anni

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: While translating do you tend to use older constructions or modern more updated constructions?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »