Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Contest of the week: García Márquez vs Hermann Hesse. Whose works do you like best?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 7, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Contest of the week: García Márquez vs Hermann Hesse. Whose works do you like best?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:14
Polish to English
+ ...
Both Jul 7, 2006

No possible option here for me - I've read both, enjoy, admire and rate both equally.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:14
Spanish
+ ...
Mean poll Jul 7, 2006

I can't choose one over the other, it's too hard. I love them both. Besides, their styles are completely different.

Julio Torres
Julio Torres
Mexico
Local time: 11:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
An advantage Jul 7, 2006

For Spanish native speakers, García Marquez has an advantage over Hesse: he writes in our language. Hesse depends on the translator. =(

Andrea Quintana
Andrea Quintana  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:14
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Missing option: "Both" Jul 7, 2006

I agree with Claudia and Caryl.
I've read both in Spanish, and they're great, each with different characteristics to admire and enjoy. My vote definitely goes to both.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Of course, Gabo Jul 7, 2006

For Spanish native speakers, García Marquez has an advantage over Hesse: he writes in our language. Hesse depends on the translator.

That says it all. And of course, it is a provincial view, from which we are not exempt.

More provincial view Jul 7, 2006

Julio Arturo Torres Jaubert wrote:

For Spanish native speakers, García Marquez has an advantage over Hesse: he writes in our language. Hesse depends on the translator. =(

Neither works are in my native tongue, not even in English translations. I am thoroughly provincial and typical of non-exempt.
By the way, are we out of Poll subjects?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Amen Jul 7, 2006

By the way, are we out of Poll subjects?

Unfortunately I´m sure we´re not, but it sure would be nice if we were.

Dusica Cook
Dusica Cook
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
47% haven't read them! Jul 7, 2006

difficult choice, but...

i am shocked to see that 47% of 275 (at the moment) haven't read either of the two!

it is a disgrace to the profession!

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 20:14
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
My thought exactly... Jul 7, 2006

Dusica Cook wrote:
i am shocked to see that 47% of 275 (at the moment) haven't read either of the two!

Sure, it is. But I hope the poll will urge some our colleagues to read both Marquez and Hesse.

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:14
English to Italian
+ ...
Shock? Jul 7, 2006

I love them both with a preference for Marquez.

But if so far many respondents are, say, Asians, I wouldn't be shocked if they hadn't read them. After all how much Chinese, Corean or Indonesian literature do we (Westeners) know?

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:14
English to Polish
No option... Jul 7, 2006

... for me. I read only Hesse.

Anni

Chiara Covili
Chiara Covili  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Nor hesse neither García Marquez Jul 7, 2006

I read both and in original language, but I don't like their novels; I prefere other authors, like Hugo, Dumas, Emily Bronte and Cervantes

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not enough options Jul 7, 2006

as other colleagues have already mentioned.

Once you like a writer, I don't think you can like him 'more' than another writer.

I like Papini, Carpentier, Tabucci, Paz, Cortázar, Hesse, Bioy Casares... but I don't have my Top 50 ranking where Gabo is Number 1 and Rosario Castellanos goes second... I like them all... for different moments of my life, and even of my day.

I was about to start City (Baricco), but I decided that now I NEED to read Maurice (Forst
... See more
as other colleagues have already mentioned.

Once you like a writer, I don't think you can like him 'more' than another writer.

I like Papini, Carpentier, Tabucci, Paz, Cortázar, Hesse, Bioy Casares... but I don't have my Top 50 ranking where Gabo is Number 1 and Rosario Castellanos goes second... I like them all... for different moments of my life, and even of my day.

I was about to start City (Baricco), but I decided that now I NEED to read Maurice (Forster). Different writers, both Number one for me.

No possible ranking when our friends (the Writers) are involved. They are all my Number One.... Ok, I should exclude Borges, I know! I know! (my shrink is working on this obsession, though! )

Au
Collapse

Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur
Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur  Identity Verified
Hungary
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
Explanation Jul 7, 2006

Dusica Cook wrote:

I think you're jumping into conclusions.

Note that the poll options are very limited. I've chosen the option "I haven't read them" because I interpreted it as "I haven't read enough by both of them". I read only one thing by Hesse a long time ago, and I don't find that it gives me a good enough basis to compare him with Marquez, whom I've read a bit more - perhaps three books.

I don't see how this would be a disgrace to the profession. Perhaps if we were all literary critics, or professors or translators of Spanish and German literature.

[Módosítva: 2006-07-07 09:37]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Contest of the week: García Márquez vs Hermann Hesse. Whose works do you like best?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »