Poll: Have the CAT tool translation memories impaired your own human memory?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 10, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have the CAT tool translation memories impaired your own human memory?".

This poll was originally submitted by claudia bagnardi

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have the CAT tool translation memories impaired your own human memory?".

This poll was originally submitted by claudia bagnardi

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Aug 10, 2006

I don't remember.

Au

ps: no, they haven't.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:51
Spanish
+ ...
Too slow Aug 10, 2006

Aurora Humarán wrote:

I don't remember.

Au

ps: no, they haven't.

I was gonna suggest that as a 6th option but I was too slow.

I also answered 'Not at all'.

Vicky Shelton
Vicky Shelton  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:51
Italian to English
+ ...
Laziness, maybe? Aug 10, 2006

When I use trados I know I do not have to remember how I translated something, because I can check it. And even months later if I translate something for the same client I still can find it again easily. This is not true if I do not use trados, which is why even if not requested I usually use trados. After having spent hours trying to find the exact term I do not want to have to do it all over again. I write each memory next to the translation I am working on, because I generally can remember th... See more
When I use trados I know I do not have to remember how I translated something, because I can check it. And even months later if I translate something for the same client I still can find it again easily. This is not true if I do not use trados, which is why even if not requested I usually use trados. After having spent hours trying to find the exact term I do not want to have to do it all over again. I write each memory next to the translation I am working on, because I generally can remember the client when I find the "difficult" term again but can't remember what memory I was using.
When I do not use trados (pdf files) I have to be much more careful, and make glossaries, jot down the exact words etc.
Collapse

claudia bagnardi
claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
What bugs me is Aug 10, 2006

that sometimes - only sometimes- when I'm translating at "full speed" and I run into a difficult/unusual term, I start thinking sort of "Oh, I know this one. It starts with an "M" (so to say)", but before trying harder, I go to the CAT tools and there I find it. Yes, it started with an M, but I could have figured out by myself the whole word because I knew it.

However, when I'm making the newspaper's crosswords, I realize my mind is fully focused and I take my time to find the righ
... See more
that sometimes - only sometimes- when I'm translating at "full speed" and I run into a difficult/unusual term, I start thinking sort of "Oh, I know this one. It starts with an "M" (so to say)", but before trying harder, I go to the CAT tools and there I find it. Yes, it started with an M, but I could have figured out by myself the whole word because I knew it.

However, when I'm making the newspaper's crosswords, I realize my mind is fully focused and I take my time to find the right word.

So I thought that perhaps it was a consequence of relying too much on CAT tools while translating. A wild guess.

As per the results of the poll so far, this does not seem to happen to you.

Mmmm. Guess I need some rest...

C'mon, tell me the truth...be good...:lol:

Claudia
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:51
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Cybermemory Aug 10, 2006

For better or worse, Kudoz indicates that there are possibly more than one translations of a given term.

As for TMs - three key considerations :

1. Context - you can sometimes check and ignore what went before, in order to avoid unnecessary repetition (notably in marketing material)

2. Consistency and customer preferences, when they have a terminology list/TM that is "carved in stone".
... See more
For better or worse, Kudoz indicates that there are possibly more than one translations of a given term.

As for TMs - three key considerations :

1. Context - you can sometimes check and ignore what went before, in order to avoid unnecessary repetition (notably in marketing material)

2. Consistency and customer preferences, when they have a terminology list/TM that is "carved in stone". Can I be expected to remember their particular preferences?

3. You can sometimes win "brownie points" by telling your customer that their TM is crap and offer to clean it for them.

I think that all in all, the most important aspect of a TM is really consistency.

Nevertheless, after a day of bouncing languages it can be a problem in you mother tongue. I can remember asking a friend one evening: "Oh yes, as you mention that, it reminds me. I also need to get one of those - err - umm - what are they called? (I had the German expression in my head).

Response: "I thought you were a linguist?"

Gimme the crossword!

Ever happen to you?

Chris

[Edited at 2006-08-10 23:13]
Collapse

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 01:51
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
It all depends on how you use CAT TMs Aug 11, 2006

I have always belived that CAT Tools are an aid--not a crutch. I am used to translating without them because more often than not, I am sent poorly-scanned faxes which force me to type in Word.

I would compare this phenomenon to an airplane pilot's use of autopilot. As a passenger, you wouldn't mind if he or she used it as an aid, but if he or she did not know how to fly the airplane without it, you would probably feel a need for concern.

In short, my human memory is t
... See more
I have always belived that CAT Tools are an aid--not a crutch. I am used to translating without them because more often than not, I am sent poorly-scanned faxes which force me to type in Word.

I would compare this phenomenon to an airplane pilot's use of autopilot. As a passenger, you wouldn't mind if he or she used it as an aid, but if he or she did not know how to fly the airplane without it, you would probably feel a need for concern.

In short, my human memory is the master memory.

Reed
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Not at all Aug 11, 2006

Human memory still works perfectly well and grows with every passing day, no CATS needed.

Now where did I put my damned glasses?

That's what I have a problem with. But at least I can work without them, but you don't want me driving without them...

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not at all... Aug 11, 2006

My memory was already compromised before CAT tools. The only thing CAT tools are good for me are as a repository of words. Instead of spending hours (literally!) reresearching some terms, I know those terms are in a specific place. If I didn't have CAT tools, I still would't remember the terminology. So what's new?

P.
www.pbayle.com/blogs-english

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:51
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Nice example, Reed Aug 11, 2006

Reed D. James wrote:

I have to agree here. I would be quite concerned. On the other hand, I would be just as concerned if the pilot looked at all the flashing lights, impressive little screens, beautiful buttons and all that technical stuff in the cockpit of his jumbo jet just to annouce: "Nah, I'm not using any of that. After all, I'm the pilot and it's me who's flying. Don't need no auto-pilot."

And just for the records: I went for the 'Not at all' option, although I, too, have my moments*. But I blame it on progressing age

I was working on a translation when I became thirsty for something cold. I went downstairs to get a glass of juice from the fridge. In the kitchen I first took a glass out of the cupboard, then took the juice out of the fridge, poured it into the glass, put the bottle back into the fridge and went back upstairs. Only when I sat in front of the computer again, did I motoce that I had forgotten something - exactly, the glass of juice was still waiting on the kitchen table...

[Edited at 2006-08-11 16:49]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
permanent CAT tool usage Aug 11, 2006

HI !
impairs immediate memory, which is to say one searches for words while may be speaking as Textclick says. But translation has nothing to do with the speech part. Best Brandis

claudia bagnardi
claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
That is the point, Brandis Aug 11, 2006

I had called it "instant memory" first, but wondered whether it was self-expalantory. That is what I'm referring to: Immediate memory, i.e., a "worked out" brain that is capable of finding the right word immediately. I have often heard the expression "the brain is a muscle, the more you make it work the faster it is".

Just as it happens with calculators. Too much reliance on them seems to impair the quick calculating skills.
I tried to find some kind of statistics, but only f
... See more
I had called it "instant memory" first, but wondered whether it was self-expalantory. That is what I'm referring to: Immediate memory, i.e., a "worked out" brain that is capable of finding the right word immediately. I have often heard the expression "the brain is a muscle, the more you make it work the faster it is".

Just as it happens with calculators. Too much reliance on them seems to impair the quick calculating skills.
I tried to find some kind of statistics, but only found that calculators are convenient for students at a certain stage of their education, but not before.

Claudia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have the CAT tool translation memories impaired your own human memory?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »