Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you ever start to work in the morning without being dressed properly (e.g. in your pajamas?)
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 13, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you ever start to work in the morning without being dressed properly (e.g. in your pajamas?)".

This poll was originally submitted by Carla Schaudt

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more informati
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you ever start to work in the morning without being dressed properly (e.g. in your pajamas?)".

This poll was originally submitted by Carla Schaudt

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:46
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Depends to some extent how you define it Aug 13, 2006

I always check my emails first thing in the morning before getting dressed, and will reply to anything urgent and work-related that may be there. But as for getting down to an actual translation job, I would only do this in exceptional circumstances - e.g. if I suddenly realised I'd missed a passage out of work sent off the night before. I'd rather get the correction sent before the job is checked.

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
It dependes on the day Aug 13, 2006

Four or five times a week, I get up, get dressed and go out jogging. Then I have a shower and start my day.

When I don't start with my Violet Piercy routine, I 'may' start working in pajamas if I have a pending delivery. Otherwise, I have a shower and get dressed to start the day.

I do have certain clothes which I wear to translate because I feel more comfortable with them and they are ok if I have to receive somebody (usually, the boy who does errands for me). Also bec
... See more
Four or five times a week, I get up, get dressed and go out jogging. Then I have a shower and start my day.

When I don't start with my Violet Piercy routine, I 'may' start working in pajamas if I have a pending delivery. Otherwise, I have a shower and get dressed to start the day.

I do have certain clothes which I wear to translate because I feel more comfortable with them and they are ok if I have to receive somebody (usually, the boy who does errands for me). Also because I love to follow certain ceremonies: wear these jeans shirt, use a certain cup for my tea, wear this perfume and not the other one, and so on. I prepare my own world.

Au
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:46
Dutch to English
+ ...
Leave my final read for early in the morning Aug 13, 2006

I usually leave my final read for first thing in the morning (depending on the length of the file). I usually get up at 5. I get up and do my last checks and send in the job(s). At 7.15 I wake up kids and dog. I shower, get dressed and take the dog for an hour's walk (best part of the day). By the time I get back, everybody is ready to leave the house except me since I work there

I make a cup of coffee and start my da
... See more
I usually leave my final read for first thing in the morning (depending on the length of the file). I usually get up at 5. I get up and do my last checks and send in the job(s). At 7.15 I wake up kids and dog. I shower, get dressed and take the dog for an hour's walk (best part of the day). By the time I get back, everybody is ready to leave the house except me since I work there

I make a cup of coffee and start my day properly. I try to finish by the time the kids come home although I rarely manage it. I always tell my customers that they can reach me from 5 am to 1 pm. Most of them, keep to this. They like getting their translated files back first thing in the morning
Collapse

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:46
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Funny Poll!! Aug 13, 2006

I am of the ones who answered "Always". I wake up really early and dressed in pijamas, finish anything undone. I also get steady jobs from Hong Kong, so they send me the files while I am sleeping (at 3:00 or 4:00 am, who knows?), so when I wake up there's always something there. I start working and a couple hours later when my husband and child are awake, we take breakfast together. Then I read the paper. If there are urgent translations, I continue behind the computer. Only after that, I take a... See more
I am of the ones who answered "Always". I wake up really early and dressed in pijamas, finish anything undone. I also get steady jobs from Hong Kong, so they send me the files while I am sleeping (at 3:00 or 4:00 am, who knows?), so when I wake up there's always something there. I start working and a couple hours later when my husband and child are awake, we take breakfast together. Then I read the paper. If there are urgent translations, I continue behind the computer. Only after that, I take a shower and get dressed with very informal clothing. I love to work with comfortable clothing and jeans, rather than having to wear a suit. By lunchtime, I'm always dressed up, and in the afternoon I am working with normal clothes.Collapse

Victor Potapov
Victor Potapov
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:46
English to Russian
+ ...
I have selected "Almost always/Always"... Aug 13, 2006

But again, in real life things are much more complex -

just as an example, pajamas would look strange, unusual and quite out of place in my booth at a conference!

So I think that poll heading could have been worded like this:

"When you are working on your TRANSLATIONS, do you ever start to work in the morning without being dressed properly (e.g. in your pajamas?) ... "<
... See more
But again, in real life things are much more complex -

just as an example, pajamas would look strange, unusual and quite out of place in my booth at a conference!

So I think that poll heading could have been worded like this:

"When you are working on your TRANSLATIONS, do you ever start to work in the morning without being dressed properly (e.g. in your pajamas?) ... "

And appropriate answers would include, of course,

- Almost always/always
- Quite often
- Occasionally
- Exceptionally
- Never

and, instead of N/A, two (three?) more options:

- I mostly do interpreting - cannot start work without my suit&tie
- I mostly do interpreting - but can sometimes do it in my PJ !
(and of course the universal catch-all) - Not Applicable.

PS when I mention interpreters who can work in their PJs, I mean a fairly interesting phenomenon - the telecommuting interpreters (like people who offer telephone interpreting services). I did try this a couple of times - once was actually interpreting while sitting at home "without being dressed properly..."

But doing it repeatedly over the phone is kind of dull. Besides, if you telecommute, you have a zero chance of offering your business cards to other interpreters and paticipants of the event. So marketing-wise it still pays to get into a suit&tie outfit & actually go to work and meet your clients, not just dial in and press the hash sign!

[Edited at 2006-08-13 18:18]

[Edited at 2006-08-13 18:20]
Collapse

claudia bagnardi
claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
I really like this poll... Aug 13, 2006

I work when I am already dressed up. Never in my nightgown (I hate pajamas) or dressing gown.

Just to "divide" business from home. I've made it a rule since day 1 (and that is almost 30 years back).

Claudia

Olivia MAHÉ
Olivia MAHÉ  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:46
English to French
+ ...
Come on Aug 13, 2006

Once again, is this supposed to raise a discussion?
If I say I start working NAKED, what will happen?
Will I be censored? Why don't you ask if we have had breakfast or gone to the WC?
Is it less interesting?

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:46
English to French
+ ...
This is not about what we wear (or not), it is about whether we do separate private life from work Aug 13, 2006

Olivia, I agree that this is one of the lighter poll questions, but I don't think it's a nosy question asking personal info about us.

This question seems to try to measure how many of us really do separate work from play, or private life from professional life.

I am quite surprised at how many of us work in PJs - usually, everybody (or almost) stresses the importance of having a closed office, dressing up, taking regular, scheduled breaks, etc., and I always thought I w
... See more
Olivia, I agree that this is one of the lighter poll questions, but I don't think it's a nosy question asking personal info about us.

This question seems to try to measure how many of us really do separate work from play, or private life from professional life.

I am quite surprised at how many of us work in PJs - usually, everybody (or almost) stresses the importance of having a closed office, dressing up, taking regular, scheduled breaks, etc., and I always thought I was one of the few freelancers who doesn't observe this unwritten rule.

I do work in PJs, at very different moments of the day, sometimes in the middle of the night, I listen to music while I work, I sometimes watch TV while I work, I eat next to my computer and type with just one hand, etc. I can live like that - but I am aware most of us can't because it's too comfortable and it eventually chips away at productivity.

Still, I am amazed how many of us do it the 'lazy' way!

[Edited at 2006-08-13 23:50]
Collapse

sarahdillon (X)
sarahdillon (X)
Australia
Local time: 09:46
French to English
+ ...
It's also about what motivates us in the morning! Aug 14, 2006

I also think it's an interesting question, and I must admit it made me chuckle when I read it!

I agree with Viktoria, in that I've also had the impression that most freelancers get up and get dressed first thing, ready for the day in their full "work clothing", maybe even go outside and circle the block to make that distinction between home and work.

At first, I felt like I *should* do this too, but quickly realised it only helped me find more ways to put off the inevi
... See more
I also think it's an interesting question, and I must admit it made me chuckle when I read it!

I agree with Viktoria, in that I've also had the impression that most freelancers get up and get dressed first thing, ready for the day in their full "work clothing", maybe even go outside and circle the block to make that distinction between home and work.

At first, I felt like I *should* do this too, but quickly realised it only helped me find more ways to put off the inevitable! Personally, the sooner I get stuck into work the better, even if it's just a quick pre-breakfast check of my emails or review of my to-do list.

Of course everyone is different, but if a translator finds they can maintain their professionalism and motivation regardless of what they wear, then why not wear pajamas, nightgown or whatever else takes their fancy?!

That choice is one of the many perks of being your own boss, in my opinion

Have a good week everyone

[Edited at 2006-08-14 00:24]
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Freedom Aug 14, 2006

The nice thing is that we have FREEDOM, and we can and do work under the conditions WE want!

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:46
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
We rarely "dress properly" in California Aug 14, 2006

For me, "getting dressed" takes a split second. I take out the dogs first thing, and then I hit the computer.

Serkan Doğan
Serkan Doğan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:46
Turkish to English
+ ...
Freedom Aug 14, 2006

I agree with Henry. I like translating with extremely comfortable dressings, if nobody watches me around. I hate suits. That's why I love this job. Let it free, as we are self-employed professions. No other can rule us!.

Pundora
Pundora  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:16
English to Hindi
+ ...
Interesting topic to know about fellow translators. Aug 14, 2006

I polled for quite often.

In the beginnig, whenever I received translation projects, I felt the whole world on my head and started working even before having a look at the topics. I don't say I have changed much still but there is certainly a difference in that I have put aside one and half an hour in the morning for my morning walk. I never start it before that. After that, I may start it depending on deadline and quantum of work. Work for one or two hours in pajamas and then take
... See more
I polled for quite often.

In the beginnig, whenever I received translation projects, I felt the whole world on my head and started working even before having a look at the topics. I don't say I have changed much still but there is certainly a difference in that I have put aside one and half an hour in the morning for my morning walk. I never start it before that. After that, I may start it depending on deadline and quantum of work. Work for one or two hours in pajamas and then take a bath, breakfast and start again. I have also learned that doing it in pieces is better than working in long stretches.

Thanks everyone for sharing the way of working.

[Edited at 2006-08-14 08:39]
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 00:46
Depends :) Aug 14, 2006

I moved house this weekend, so right now I am in tracksuit bottoms, an old black t-shirt and slippers because they were the first things I found this morning amongst all the boxes Goodness knows where my hairdryer is right now!

But generally, I do get dressed and put a little make-up and perfume on to ease myself into"work mode"...
See more
I moved house this weekend, so right now I am in tracksuit bottoms, an old black t-shirt and slippers because they were the first things I found this morning amongst all the boxes Goodness knows where my hairdryer is right now!

But generally, I do get dressed and put a little make-up and perfume on to ease myself into"work mode"
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever start to work in the morning without being dressed properly (e.g. in your pajamas?)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »