Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Which would you consider the most user-friendly?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:29
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
(Almost) all of us? Aug 20, 2006

I was thinking ... if SDLX is there, and Trados is there, then comes the new SDL Trados ... and all of us (almost) are paying all that cash to get the later after all what we already paid for the first two ... Then why? In terms of user-friendly theme ... is it better? Did it worth it?

Any software is usually improved by getting easier to use in the first place ... then come the other features offered. It took me a long time getting used to some of those tools mentioned in the poll, yet ... I still find them all ... well ... ABSOLUTELY NOT user-friendly!!

Including SDL Trados was my way in asking WHY

Good point...

http://www.sdl.com/products-home/products-home/products-sdltrados.htm

"The creation of new, high-quality translated material has never been easier. SDL Trados 2006 offers the best of both worlds, with the choice of Trados Translators Workbench, Tag Editor and SDLX editing environments. It includes new support for Quark, InDesign CS2 and Java files to supplement etc. etc..."

Question is: what do you want to do, what do need to do?

My personal preference was always SDLX, because it was clean, user-friendly and I preferred the interface. Trados could do more in some respects (as Gianfranco says), but looking back over all the desperate cries for help that arose in the Trados forum, I always tipped my hat to Ralf's sterling support, whilst wondering whether I wanted/needed to get involved with Trados?

Looking ahead, I think that we shall be confronted with further "supertools" - and be called on to dig deeper into our pockets.

Hence my question above.

There will doubtless always be alternatives for many freelancers.

Chris

[Edited at 2006-08-20 00:31]

urst
urst  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:29
German to Spanish
+ ...
I hate segment-translations. Aug 20, 2006

perhaps they are user friendly but they are not translator-friendly. i mean, with these applications we end up translating segments. Shat. They make you translate SEGMENT after SEGMENT. Not even sentences, because they cut them up as soon there's a Stop-event. For some weird punctution mark (z.B., /e.g.) they split and what you translate is a bit of wording, then another. You build up a sometimes very stupid TM, with sometimes totally incongrous translations, because you see the next segment com... See more
perhaps they are user friendly but they are not translator-friendly. i mean, with these applications we end up translating segments. Shat. They make you translate SEGMENT after SEGMENT. Not even sentences, because they cut them up as soon there's a Stop-event. For some weird punctution mark (z.B., /e.g.) they split and what you translate is a bit of wording, then another. You build up a sometimes very stupid TM, with sometimes totally incongrous translations, because you see the next segment coming and need to translate ahead. I don't know. I really hate working with segment-based applications, all of them. Moreover, you deliver ready-made future translations to your client by building the TM.
For what it's worth, and since it seems there's no way around them, I prefer SDL. You can move around in the text and translate around, which in Trados is a pain.

i wish there was a better way of flying.
Collapse

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Expand segment function Aug 20, 2006

urst wrote:

perhaps they are user friendly but they are not translator-friendly. i mean, with these applications we end up translating segments. Shat. They make you translate SEGMENT after SEGMENT. Not even sentences, because they cut them up as soon there's a Stop-event. For some weird punctution mark (z.B., /e.g.) they split and what you translate is a bit of wording, then another. You build up a sometimes very stupid TM, with sometimes totally incongrous translations, because you see the next segment coming and need to translate ahead. I don't know. I really hate working with segment-based applications, all of them. Moreover, you deliver ready-made future translations to your client by building the TM.
For what it's worth, and since it seems there's no way around them, I prefer SDL. You can move around in the text and translate around, which in Trados is a pain.

i wish there was a better way of flying.

Then learn how to use the "expand segment function" and change the segmentation settings. That should solve most of the problems.

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Deja vu Aug 20, 2006

I own and regularly work with Deja vu, Transit, Trados and SDLX, and I can say emphatically that Deja vu is far superior than all of the other three.

M

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 01:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
N/A Aug 20, 2006

Why do people even use CAT tools? Seems to me like it only benefits agencies in giving them the bargaining position to offer lower rates.

Isn't a CAT tool just the same as having a good memory of your own. If you can remember previous terms then it just takes a split second to type it again and it maintains a better flow within the context of what you're working on.

I haven't come across an agency yet that's demanded it. I say ditch them all now before we lose the power
... See more
Why do people even use CAT tools? Seems to me like it only benefits agencies in giving them the bargaining position to offer lower rates.

Isn't a CAT tool just the same as having a good memory of your own. If you can remember previous terms then it just takes a split second to type it again and it maintains a better flow within the context of what you're working on.

I haven't come across an agency yet that's demanded it. I say ditch them all now before we lose the power we hold within our own profession through laziness.

Best wishes,
Mark
Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Productivity Aug 20, 2006

Chinese Concept wrote:

Why do people even use CAT tools?

Not to translate the same thing over and over again

If you can remember previous terms then it just takes a split second to type it again and it maintains a better flow within the context of what you're working on.

And what if it's whole long sentence? First time it was in Contents table, than you have it within text. It has to be the same - checking back and typing takes longer, than just pasting/accepting already done translation. If there are more sentences like that - it makes work much easier and faster. And more consistent

It doesn't work like that with creative texts, but helps if there are many repetitions.

Anni

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 01:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
Isn't MS Word good enough for you? Aug 20, 2006

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:
Not to translate the same thing over and over again

Lazy:) Isn't it better to accept a better rate for doing something that comes so easy.

And what if it's whole long sentence? First time it was in Contents table, than you have it within text. It has to be the same - checking back and typing takes longer, than just pasting/accepting already done translation. If there are more sentences like that - it makes work much easier and faster. And more consistent

MS Word already updates the contents table in a flash.

It's human nature to want the most amount of money for the least amount of effort...just admit it:)

By investing in and using CAT tools you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I hope one day everyone just gets together and puts them all out of business so that we can command the decent rates we deserve:)

Mark

Ladislav Filo (X)
Ladislav Filo (X)  Identity Verified
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
Transit Aug 20, 2006

I tried Transit, Trados, Wordfast and MetaTexis. Transit seems to me to be the best one for me and I use it regularly. But never heard about Transit 2000. The last version is Transit XV. So I voted for Transit 2000 and meant Transit generally.
Standalone application (like Transit) is alway better than macros for Word (like Trados). It is stable, much better configurable and for those who like to work in Word, you can use all Word shortcuts, too.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Not confusing at all? Aug 20, 2006

Dina Abdo wrote:

I was thinking ... if SDLX is there, and Trados is there, then comes the new SDL Trados ... and all of us (almost) are paying all that cash to get the later after all what we already paid for the first two ... Then why? In terms of user-friendly theme ... is it better? Did it worth it?

SDL Trados consists of both Trados and SDLX. These are new versions, but the underlying principles (and their user-friendliness) haven't changed. So your poll contains several stand-alone CAT applications without specifying a version and then a combination of two of them in the latest version. You are comparing apples and oranges (or apples with pears, as we say.

Any software is usually improved by getting easier to use in the first place ... then come the other features offered.

I wouldn't be so sure. New features (like new supported formats or languages) or bug fixes are equally important. And don't forget about marketing. A new version is a nice opportunity for the developer to get more money from their customers.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Isn't MS Word good enough for you? Aug 20, 2006

Chinese Concept wrote:

Can you remember a xx-thousand words manual you translated a year ago when there comes a new version?

MS Word already updates the contents table in a flash.

Not all translations come in MS Word format and not all repetitions or similar sentences occur only in table of contents or within one document.

By investing in and using CAT tools you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Please don't generalize. By not investing in and not using CAT tools some of us would earn much less or wouldn't be able to work in their fields at all.

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:29
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Why use CATs Aug 20, 2006

Chinese Concept wrote:
Why do people even use CAT tools?

Mark, I believe CATs are a natural step in our work - as natural as when we started to use computers instead of typewriters.

And, believe me (and many others here), CATs do help much. Right now I have a batch of almost identical manuals, with more than 60% internal repetitions (and more than 30% of them total matches), so using a CAT is crucial and is really great both for my client and myself. It means twice less time for a huge >100,000-word project, not mentioning the terminological consistency on the automated basis.

Possibly, you simply haven't seen a good CAT which you would like. It reminds me a colleague of mine who was against CATs because once she had tried one and she didn't like it. Later I told her about Deja Vu, spent an hour to show her some basic functions, then she has bought it and uses it now.

So, probably, you may just try something better than a simplified macros-based CAT.

Vittorio Preite
Vittorio Preite  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Faster? Aug 21, 2006

I have used both (the two top ones). Wordfast is more human, Trados is too clever, by half. While attempting to use Trados I seriously considered jumping out of the window. But it would not have been worth it, it's only 1 floor. The client "demanded" it. What for? There were hardly any repetitions.
The claim that CATs make me faster are totally unjustified as I have to spend too much time managing them.
Leave me alone! PLEASE! I am twice as fast just using Word. How many can match 40
... See more
I have used both (the two top ones). Wordfast is more human, Trados is too clever, by half. While attempting to use Trados I seriously considered jumping out of the window. But it would not have been worth it, it's only 1 floor. The client "demanded" it. What for? There were hardly any repetitions.
The claim that CATs make me faster are totally unjustified as I have to spend too much time managing them.
Leave me alone! PLEASE! I am twice as fast just using Word. How many can match 4000 words in an 8 hours day?
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
... Aug 21, 2006

Mark said:
It's human nature to want the most amount of money for the least amount of effort...just admit it

I hope one day everyone just gets together and puts them all out of business so that we can command the decent rates we deserve.

Your first sentence - fine, I agree with that.

Your second sentence only makes any sense if we assume that all clients are wanting to squeeze Trados (etc...) discounts out of us. The simple fact is, not all clients are like this. By investing in and using CAT tools, I am making my work more consistent and quicker, which can only benefit me and those I do the work for. Most of these clients are unaware that I use a CAT tool. I do occasionally grant CAT discounts but only when to do so is mutually beneficial for me and the client.

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Has anyone used them all Aug 21, 2006

Yes, of course very few people have tried all of these, but I still think that the results of the poll are interesting, particularly for those of us who are still using free versions...

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have used them all Aug 21, 2006

Still, my favorite has always been Déjà Vu. (*)

Easy to use, easier to learn, term database maintenance is a breeze, and the client support es exceptional.

--
Dyran
(who doesn't give discounts for repetitions)

(*) Can also be used to translate Trados-segmented files.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which would you consider the most user-friendly?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »