Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Which Translation Memory System do you like best?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 15, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which Translation Memory System do you like best?".

This poll was originally submitted by Marinus Vesseur

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more info
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which Translation Memory System do you like best?".

This poll was originally submitted by Marinus Vesseur

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wordfast: best cost-value return Nov 15, 2006

Not that I have a lot of experience when it comes to CAT tools, but what little experience I do have leans in favor of Wordfast.

First, it is FREE to download. It is not some whole complex mega-program suite, but a simple unit that conveniently runs on top of Microsoft Word. Yet for all its simplicity, its complex capabilities should not be underestimated.

It is versatile, helping in the translation of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other documents.

It is ea
... See more
Not that I have a lot of experience when it comes to CAT tools, but what little experience I do have leans in favor of Wordfast.

First, it is FREE to download. It is not some whole complex mega-program suite, but a simple unit that conveniently runs on top of Microsoft Word. Yet for all its simplicity, its complex capabilities should not be underestimated.

It is versatile, helping in the translation of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other documents.

It is easy to learn, easy to use. I was ready to translate after reading the downloadable user guide for 10 minutes.

There is a healthy Wordfast discussion forum to answer any and all problems one could encounter with Wordfast. As well, it is a program in development, meaning that newer versions readily adapt to pressing needs in the translation field.

I'm sure there is much more to say about it. But to sum my position up, I am very happy with Wordfast as it has greatly increased my productivity and translation fidelity . And unless someone gives me very pressing reasons to the contrary, I do not intend to spend hundreds of dollars for some other CAT tool when I have one that works very well, and is FREE.
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:04
French to English
+ ...
deja vu? Nov 15, 2006

haven't we had this poll before? and wasn't the conclusion then the same as is likely this time - that few people have used all the tools so few people are in a position to make a meaningful comparison.

I use Trados and get on pretty well with it, so have chosen Trados - I find it behaves better than Wordfast, though it could be that I didn't persevere well enough with Wordfast.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:04
English to French
+ ...
Trados... but! Nov 15, 2006

I chose Trados because it's the one I use the most. It's not about liking it best, it's rather about being forced to use it - most clients who request the use of a CAT tool want Trados. I've used SDLX before but not enough to be as productive with it as I am with Trados. I will look into it though - compatibility is not really an issue anymore, so I may want to switch to it...

I tried Across lately and it seems like a good one - but there were some glitches and customer service for
... See more
I chose Trados because it's the one I use the most. It's not about liking it best, it's rather about being forced to use it - most clients who request the use of a CAT tool want Trados. I've used SDLX before but not enough to be as productive with it as I am with Trados. I will look into it though - compatibility is not really an issue anymore, so I may want to switch to it...

I tried Across lately and it seems like a good one - but there were some glitches and customer service for that product seems to be practically non existent. Nobody came back to me yet! Also, they say that the client version of it is free for freelancers, but I've never received confirmation yet that I have the full license for that version. So, although it looks great as a CAT tool, they are not doing anything to win the favor of freelancers, in my opinion. Let'S leave it at that now, shall we?

Had I tried all of the proposed choices, I would be able to better tell you which one I prefer. Unfortunately, they all involve a learning curve and I don't have time to learn to use software I may never buy/implement. But I am willing to hear what you have to say
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, you're right ..... Nov 15, 2006

Angela Dickson wrote:

haven't we had this poll before? and wasn't the conclusion then the same as is likely this time - that few people have used all the tools so few people are in a position to make a meaningful comparison.

I use Trados and get on pretty well with it, so have chosen Trados - I find it behaves better than Wordfast, though it could be that I didn't persevere well enough with Wordfast.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:04
Spanish to English
Easy to learn Nov 15, 2006

I chose wordfast, only having experience with Trados and Wordfast.

Apart from the major difference in price, I found the Trados manual totally unintelligible so I only learnt to use its very basic functions, whereas the wordfast manual is very clear and easy to follow and I am able to do a lot more with it.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Heartsome Xliff Translation Editor Nov 15, 2006

As a Linux user I am limited, as not many CAt tools producers offer their software for OS other, than Windows.

Anni

shasas
shasas  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:04
English to German
Other Nov 15, 2006

My brain

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Exit Trados Nov 15, 2006

I prefer Déjà Vu. More intuitive and simpler to use. Did not impose a price reduction scheme for matches, fuzzies etc.
Trados gradually be phased out. And so will their reduction scheme (hopefully).
Now it is Sdlx-Trados, but by 2008 only Sdlx will remain?

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:04
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Where's OmegaT? Nov 15, 2006

Indeed, why isn't OmegaT in the list? It's free and open-source, multiplatform, small, easy to use. Yes, it lacks many features of Trados or DejaVu, but for my needs it's OK. I find Trados and WordFast too Word-centered, and DejaVu too difficult to learn.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:04
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
I chose DV, but I have to use Trados Nov 15, 2006

Among the tools I have used, the one I iked best was DV, followed by TM/2 and SDLX.

I use Trados all the time since it is required by most of my customers, and I know how to use it very well.

Unfortunately, the more I use it, the more I am convinced that it is a very badly programmed piece of junk, and that it relies overmuch on another piece of bloated software (MS Word - which is often a co-culprit when Trados has a problem).

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 14:04
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Across Nov 15, 2006

Across for me.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
missing option Nov 15, 2006

There a missing option in this poll: NONE OF THE ABOVE (or just NONE).

Should be consider OTHER that option?

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Wordfast - Trados Nov 15, 2006

I've been using the free version of Wordfast for about a year in order to be able to send uncleaned files. This has been at the request of an increasing number of agencies, who seem to accept Wordfast files because they are compatible with Trados.

It is quite rare that it genuinely speeds things up, but I am getting attached to being able to view the source text at all times.
Rather then buy a licence for Wordfast, it seems more sensible to bite the bullet and buy Trados, but
... See more
I've been using the free version of Wordfast for about a year in order to be able to send uncleaned files. This has been at the request of an increasing number of agencies, who seem to accept Wordfast files because they are compatible with Trados.

It is quite rare that it genuinely speeds things up, but I am getting attached to being able to view the source text at all times.
Rather then buy a licence for Wordfast, it seems more sensible to bite the bullet and buy Trados, but I keep getting put off by remarks about how unnecessarily complicated it is, and how it will probably be superceded by something else. Buying a licence for Wordfast seems a bit of a half measure.
I know we've had a similar forum before, but this one is slightly different and I welcome anything that might help me make a decision.
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
How would you like your memory? Nov 15, 2006

Like is not the best word, methinks.... I chose Wordfast, because I like it best, but I use Trados.

By the way, I know, you didn't ask, but just for the record: I dislike Transit best

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which Translation Memory System do you like best?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »