https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/61016-poll%3A_which_should_be_added_to_the_profile_updater.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Which should be added to the Profile Updater?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 5, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which should be added to the Profile Updater?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:49
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Useless, annoying feature Dec 5, 2006

The feature is fine for those who want to use it, but the way it was force-fed to us the week it was introduced was annoying.

Surely, we're all able to make intelligent decisions about what information to include in our promotional materials and what to exclude, without advice from a computerized profile-cop.

[Edited at 2006-12-05 19:58]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:49
English to French
+ ...
Agree with Steven and... Dec 5, 2006

I don't much like the idea of all "sweepstakes" on ProZ being reserved to members with a certain (overly exhaustive) list of information showing in their profiles. For example, I just renewed my membership, and there are prizes to be won - but if I don't get my ID verified, I am automatically exluded from this. Now, there are many people on ProZ who don't have a credit card and don't live close to a person who is authorized to verify their identities. Just because of this, they too are excluded ... See more
I don't much like the idea of all "sweepstakes" on ProZ being reserved to members with a certain (overly exhaustive) list of information showing in their profiles. For example, I just renewed my membership, and there are prizes to be won - but if I don't get my ID verified, I am automatically exluded from this. Now, there are many people on ProZ who don't have a credit card and don't live close to a person who is authorized to verify their identities. Just because of this, they too are excluded from winning the trip to Budapest. I find this a little too agressive. As Steven said earlier, I think that I am smart enough to know which information is worthwhile including in my profile and I also should have the right to not disclose certain things I'd rather not. I don't see why I should be victim of a prejudice just because I personally don't adhere to being an open book. What next? We will have to post the names and social security numbers of our clients? We will have to put picture of ourselves and pictures of our feet or our pets won't be sufficient anymore?

I already have such things as project history, native languages, BB records, list of recently completed jobs, etc. in my profile. I just got my identity verified. My profile is complete and if someone decided not to work with me on the grounds that there's not enough information in my profile - well, it's their loss. I'm not going to reveal the colour of my undies on top of that... only to be told someone else better fits the bill.

I think the profile updater is neat because it reminds - especially new - members about the information potential clients may be looking for. But going as far as including secondary information like the ones listed in this poll is a little too much. I think there is already too much information being asked for - you can't be serious about adding more!
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:49
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I agree Dec 5, 2006

The profile is complicated enough already. Surely no further details are needed until a client contacts us directly for more? At that point, rates of pay, deadlines and payment methods can be discussed.

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 08:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's too complicated Dec 6, 2006

I think that instead of adding information to the profiler, it would be better to improve the way we can update it. Last time you ask for an update, I just gave up after trying to include some data.

In my country there is only one certifying agency (the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) how can we get our credentials verified?

Would it be possible for each translator to show what information to provide?

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:49
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Verified identity not required Dec 6, 2006

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

I don't much like the idea of all "sweepstakes" on ProZ being reserved to members with a certain (overly exhaustive) list of information showing in their profiles. For example, I just renewed my membership, and there are prizes to be won - but if I don't get my ID verified, I am automatically exluded from this. Now, there are many people on ProZ who don't have a credit card and don't live close to a person who is authorized to verify their identities. Just because of this, they too are excluded from winning the trip to Budapest. I find this a little too agressive.

Hi Viktoria,

The offer states:

Chance to win a trip, or two other great prizes!: If you join or renew your membership before December 15, and complete your profile using the new profile updater ("required" and "encouraged" sections), you will be eligible to win one of three prizes.

1st Prize Free trip to next ProZ.com Conference in Budapest
2nd Prize A Dell laptop computer
3rd Prize SDL Trados Software.

You don't need to get your identity verified in order to participate in the draw, only joining or renewing membership and completing your profile with the profile updater before December 15.

Regards,
Enrique

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:49
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
shoe size Dec 6, 2006

According to the profile updater, my profile is incomplete. I have not posted a portfolio or project history. You know what? I just tried to fill in the services part. What happened? It listed desktop publishing first, then web site localization, then proofreading and - finally, at the very end! - translator.

I am a translator, not a desktop publisher. I unchecked all the fields and left my profile page as it was and that's it.

Project history? I hardly have the time t
... See more
According to the profile updater, my profile is incomplete. I have not posted a portfolio or project history. You know what? I just tried to fill in the services part. What happened? It listed desktop publishing first, then web site localization, then proofreading and - finally, at the very end! - translator.

I am a translator, not a desktop publisher. I unchecked all the fields and left my profile page as it was and that's it.

Project history? I hardly have the time to write invoices. I will review my project history at the end of the year when I do my taxes.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but proz.com is a place for professionals, and not myspace.com.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
All of the above Dec 6, 2006

I agree that it's overdone already.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:19
German to English
I voted "nothing" Dec 6, 2006

I don't think anything needs to be added to the profile updater - it's fine as it is and a very useful tool for filling in profile information.

I agree with everyone who has contributed so far that what we include in our profiles should be entirely up to each one of us. However, I do think it's important to provide as much information as possible, not only for the benefit of potential clients, but by way of introduction to other colleagues registered on ProZ.com, who may like to kn
... See more
I don't think anything needs to be added to the profile updater - it's fine as it is and a very useful tool for filling in profile information.

I agree with everyone who has contributed so far that what we include in our profiles should be entirely up to each one of us. However, I do think it's important to provide as much information as possible, not only for the benefit of potential clients, but by way of introduction to other colleagues registered on ProZ.com, who may like to know more about us for various reasons. When someone answers a KudoZ question, for example, knowing the background of the answerer may help the asker in selecting the correct answer. A blank profile is not very useful to anyone, and I therefore think it's essential to fill in at least the required information.
Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Let's get this straight, please Dec 6, 2006

Enrique wrote:

The offer states:

Chance to win a trip, or two other great prizes!: If you join or renew your membership before December 15, and complete your profile using the new profile updater ("required" and "encouraged" sections), you will be eligible to win one of three prizes.

You don't need to get your identity verified in order to participate in the draw, only joining or renewing membership and completing your profile with the profile updater before December 15.

Regards,
Enrique

My profile updater says that I have 10/10 for the required fields, i.e. that my profile is complete, but only 4/7 for the "encouraged fields". Now, does that mean that if I decided to rejoin Proz before 15 December I would be up for a prize or not?

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:49
English to Swedish
+ ...
An outsourcer's point of view Dec 6, 2006

Hi all,

OK, I hear that there are too many fields to fill in, that you're already too busy, that Proz is poking into irrelevant things.

From an outsourcer's point of view, it's simple:
the more data I have about potential subcontractors, the better I'm able to make my decision of whom to hire.

If you're already too busy with your current assignments, fine, then you probably don't need to advertise your skills on Proz.

You might think it's
... See more
Hi all,

OK, I hear that there are too many fields to fill in, that you're already too busy, that Proz is poking into irrelevant things.

From an outsourcer's point of view, it's simple:
the more data I have about potential subcontractors, the better I'm able to make my decision of whom to hire.

If you're already too busy with your current assignments, fine, then you probably don't need to advertise your skills on Proz.

You might think it's irrellevant to check boxes about 100 different CAT tools, about whether you perform DTP or not. But from an outsourcer's point of view, it makes me able to size up your computer skills and get a general idea of who you are.

Sometimes I have the need for a translator that doubles as a layouter, or for a very specific software tool. If you didn't bother to fill in that box, it doesn't matter how marvellous translator you are - I won't find you when I do my search...

If you're content with your current workload and don't want new clients to find you, don't bother promoting yourself, and leave the Profile Updater to those colleagues who need more business.

Respectfully,

Jan
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:49
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Requirements for the draw Dec 6, 2006

Nikki Graham wrote:

Enrique wrote:

The offer states:

Regards,
Enrique

My profile updater says that I have 10/10 for the required fields, i.e. that my profile is complete, but only 4/7 for the "encouraged fields". Now, does that mean that if I decided to rejoin Proz before 15 December I would be up for a prize or not?

No, to enter the draw you need to complete all "required" and "encouraged" sections of your profile.

Regards,
Enrique

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Then there is a discrepancy Dec 6, 2006

Enrique wrote:

The offer states:

Nikki Graham wrote:

No, to enter the draw you need to complete all "required" and "encouraged" sections of your profile.

Regards,
Enrique

So in your advertising for the membership campaign a "complete profile" is one with both required and encouraged sections filled in, but as far as the profile updater is concerned, it's complete with just the required fields. I find this misleading and would appreciate it if you could change the wording in either the ad or the profile updater.

By the way, my profile will never be complete if it HAS to include CV, WWA and Project History. My CV is only sent on request, ditto project history if required and I have already epxressed my views on the WWA.

[Edited at 2006-12-06 12:01]

[Edited at 2006-12-06 12:03]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
My opinion... Dec 6, 2006

I believe that in order to participate to the draw, only the required fields should be compulsory. We all know that the WWA is a sensitive issue, as we've seen in the past. Personally, I don't want to use it, so I will be excluded from the draw if I decide to re-join. And actually, this is one of the reasons why I'm not rejoining Proz. I find it discriminating and even insulting, especially after having supported Proz for so many years with my membership.

Giovanni

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
Local time: 09:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nothing... Dec 6, 2006

I think this is quit complicated.

We must improve the structure of the Profile Updater in order to be more efficient.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which should be added to the Profile Updater?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »