Poll: Would mobile internet be a solution for you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 10, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would mobile internet be a solution for you?".

This poll was originally submitted by Wolfgang Jörissen

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more informa
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would mobile internet be a solution for you?".

This poll was originally submitted by Wolfgang Jörissen

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 11:47
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No, Jan 10, 2007

To me, as a freelancer that spends almost all my time on working at home, mobile internet is useless.

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:47
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Yes Jan 10, 2007

Hi,
actually mobile internet IS a solution for me - I move frequently between my "proper" house and summer house and also like to have internet in the interpreting booth. Since half a year I use only mobile connection (UMTS) and I'm very satisfied with it.

Magda

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Yes, indeed Jan 10, 2007

Thanks for the interesting poll, Wolfgang!

Considering the problems Deutsche Telekom have had for many years in offering a broadband connection to some regions in Germany (for example most of the former GDR where glass fibre cables were installed in the early 90s, which don't go along very well with DSL), a mobile internet connection would surely be a solution for us.

We would probably not use the mobile technology "on the road" but as a solution for a fast internet co
... See more
Thanks for the interesting poll, Wolfgang!

Considering the problems Deutsche Telekom have had for many years in offering a broadband connection to some regions in Germany (for example most of the former GDR where glass fibre cables were installed in the early 90s, which don't go along very well with DSL), a mobile internet connection would surely be a solution for us.

We would probably not use the mobile technology "on the road" but as a solution for a fast internet connection for our office. However, the fees are still not competitive enough compared to a landline connection.

Regards
Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Website www.hansson.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:47
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I can its see its use but... Jan 10, 2007

I like being able to get away from the Internet on occasion. I work mostly from home, so it's not an issue. If I really need a connection when I'm on the road, I can always take my wireless laptop to a coffee shop.

[Edited at 2007-01-10 17:10]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trying to keep it away! Jan 10, 2007

I think mobile Internet might be nice to use in the future. However, when I'm the office a mobile Internet would not be reliable enough...

...and when I am on holiday, outside our [long] working hours or travelling, I really need to forget about work and let my wonderful colleagues at the office take care of it all! Isn't that wonderful?

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
French to English
Mobile internet would be great if it wasn't for telephone companies Jan 10, 2007

Mobile broadband is wonderful! It is perfectly fast and reliable. I used it in Italy for three months at home in Sicily using a datacard through Telecom Italia and was amazed at how well it works and the low cost. It cost me just 20 Euros per month working full time as a translator! (1 giga of data). Lots of other Italians seem to use it as landline broadband is not always available. The disillusion followed when I went back to the UK for Christmas where not a single company provides pay-as-you-... See more
Mobile broadband is wonderful! It is perfectly fast and reliable. I used it in Italy for three months at home in Sicily using a datacard through Telecom Italia and was amazed at how well it works and the low cost. It cost me just 20 Euros per month working full time as a translator! (1 giga of data). Lots of other Italians seem to use it as landline broadband is not always available. The disillusion followed when I went back to the UK for Christmas where not a single company provides pay-as-you-go broadband mobile internet and the costs are astronomical 20 x the rate in Italy!!
I would love to know the availability of pay-as-you-go broadband internet in other countries.
Venezuela in particular!! Cand I get a SIm card there and just pasy as you go for data

[Edited at 2007-01-10 19:42]
Collapse

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Something I should be finding out about Jan 10, 2007

NR_Stedman wrote:

I would love to know the availability of pay-as-you-go broadband internet in other countries.
Venezuela in particular!! Cand I get a SIm card there and just pasy as you go for data

[Edited at 2007-01-10 19:42]

I live in a very remote area in France which fortunately does have broadband.
However, last year a storm blew down a large tree which brought the phone lines down....and it was an incredible two weeks before they were fixed - I gave up working and did some much needed DIY jobs around the house.
Several people told me I should have got a wireless connection but I never found out about it because France Telecom kept saying that it would fixed within 24 hours...

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:47
Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jan 10, 2007

At least in the United States the cell phone companies offer several plans to access the Internet though Internet-enabled phones, not just phone>Laptop. What I suggested in a previous post was to have an alternate ProZ home page for mobile-phones/PDAs, with a less cluttered interface. It could be useful, for instance, to read or post in the fora or ask a KudoZ question while nowhere near a computer.

[Edited at 2007-01-10 23:44]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:47
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Ah, no. Jan 11, 2007

I don't even have a cell phone. I don't even use IM. Why? I noticed that I am saving precious hours by not using any of those devices. Either I am available or I am not.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:47
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Nicole, how I agree with you! Jan 11, 2007

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I don't even have a cell phone. I don't even use IM. Why? I noticed that I am saving precious hours by not using any of those devices. Either I am available or I am not.

I don't have a cell phone ("mobile" in the UK) either, and am therefore considered eccentric.
Who wants to be answering the phone when shopping or driving or walking the dog? I'm at home for work most of the time and have an answering service when I'm not. When I'm not available, I'm not. However, I understand that for translators who do a lot of travelling it's probably essential. I just hate the endless, apparently mindless chatter by mobile phone answerers telling eachother every mundane move they're making!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would mobile internet be a solution for you?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »