Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many hours do you normally sleep on a working day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 5, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many hours do you normally sleep on a working day?".

This poll was originally submitted by Monika Jakacka

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many hours do you normally sleep on a working day?".

This poll was originally submitted by Monika Jakacka

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 19:33
English to German
+ ...
None... Feb 5, 2007

Actually, I try not to sleep on a working day at all. Except maybe for the occasional power nap...

------------------------

A 24-hour working day, Nesrin? And I thought only clients expected those of us....

But seriously, that's what I assumed as well, I just couldn't resist the chance to make somebody chuckle, even if it was only me. Probably a symptom of lack of sleep....
See more
Actually, I try not to sleep on a working day at all. Except maybe for the occasional power nap...

------------------------

A 24-hour working day, Nesrin? And I thought only clients expected those of us....

But seriously, that's what I assumed as well, I just couldn't resist the chance to make somebody chuckle, even if it was only me. Probably a symptom of lack of sleep.

[Edited at 2007-02-06 11:16]

[Edited at 2007-02-06 11:17]
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
I think the question is about a 24-hour day, Cetacea... Feb 5, 2007

Cetacea wrote:

...not a working day as in "9 to 5 working day"!

I usually get around 5 hours of sleep in the night (2-7 am) then a half-hour "power nap" during the day (if lucky a second one later in the evening), and I seem to be doing ok.

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
Local time: 13:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
6-8 hours Feb 5, 2007

I usually sleep around 4-6 hours, it depends on the deadline, amount, and kind of work.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:33
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
6 hours Feb 5, 2007

From monday to Friday I sleep 6 hours, from 12 to 6 AM.

Saturday and Sunday, I recover my lost sleep hours.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Ideally, my body takes 6.75 hours Feb 5, 2007

However, I do not like going to bed before 1 a.m. (though I dislike going much later than 2 a.m. and also dislike being obliged to translate after midnight, under deadline pressure). Yet, I also do not like getting up late, and am usually around again, with the computer on, any time between 5 a.m. and 7 a.m.

Astrid

Marie-Josée Gravel (X)
Marie-Josée Gravel (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:33
French to English
+ ...
Depends on workload Feb 5, 2007

I usually need 6 hours of sleep. But when something comes in and its rush, I only need power naps every 3-4 hours and can work like that for 24 hours, but when the weekend comes around I'll sleep 7 hours straight (if my daughter lets me, that is!).

Whatever happens I still have to get up at 7 a.m. to prepare my girl for school.

Once I'm up, I'm ready to go!

Tomas Burda
Tomas Burda  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Sleep - can I eat it? Feb 5, 2007

It really depends on workload, deadlines and clients from overseas:

Client: "Tomas, I am so happy to talk to you... We urgently need some words to be translated within two hours..."

Tomas: "Zzz" (tries to avoid to continue throwing "Zzzs")

Client: "Tomas, I know it's 9.00pm and you'd rather be out having a drink in a bar, but... Tomas? Are you there?"

Tomas: "Yes, I am..."

Client: "Good. That means if it's 9.00pm, can the job be do
... See more

Client: "Tomas, I am so happy to talk to you... We urgently need some words to be translated within two hours..."

Client: "Tomas, I know it's 9.00pm and you'd rather be out having a drink in a bar, but... Tomas? Are you there?"

Client: "Good. That means if it's 9.00pm, can the job be done at 11.00pm our local time?
This means, if you live in Germany...
OH MY GOD!!! TOMAS!!!
It must be 2.00am of YOUR local time...
Tomas, I really have to apologize..."

Tomas: "Never mind. I do not sleep at night. I already converted to vampire long time ago, when I started working as a freelancer..."

NOTE for those who are not laughing yet:
This comment is supposed to be fun.
This comment is absolutely politically correct. It does not offend any state on this planet and its geographical location.
It does not offend any clients, any potential clients or any fictional clients.
It does not offend any vampires or persons who wish to live life of a vampire.

WARNING if under-aged persons might have read this comment:
I am really not a vampire.
I do not intend to frighten anybody.
I really drink coffee for my breakfast.

[Edited at 2007-02-05 20:07]
Collapse

David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Sleep Feb 5, 2007

I put more than 8 hours, but I work a Spanish day which includes around a 2-3 hour break including about an hour and a half siesta in bed.

Ma. Fernanda Blesa
Ma. Fernanda Blesa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:33
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
vampires Feb 6, 2007

Tomas Burda wrote:

Client: "Good. That means if it's 9.00pm, can the job be done at 11.00pm our local time?
OH MY GOD!!! TOMAS!!!

Tomas: "Never mind. I do not sleep at night. I already converted to vampire long time ago, when I started working as a freelancer..."

hahaha, been there, done that and most likelly it won't be the last time either, but what can I do? I really enjoy my work and having the odd Wednesday off to go shopping when everyone is on their 9-18

I remember when I was studying at university, one of our professors told us what the qualities of a translator should be, and one of them (I even wrote it down!) was "having good health in case you need to pull an all-nighter to meet a deadline"... he wasn't wrong at all!

On average I'd say I get between 7 and 9 hours sleep, but when I'm swamped, 5 is the magical number for me (not more than that, if I sleep 6 hours I might as well sleep 10, I'm useless).

nice poll BTW

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:33
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Been there, done that, BUT... Feb 6, 2007

I have pulled many many all-nighters in my career, and I keep terrible hours up to this day (I'm older than most of you guys), but it does take a toll. Studies now show that years of short-changed sleep will eventually play out in health problems that you will wish you didn't have. Knowing what I know now, if I had it to do over again, I'd be a lot smarter about getting proper sleep.

georgina singh
georgina singh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:03
Tamil to English
+ ...
You are dead right Muriel!!! Feb 6, 2007

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I have pulled many many all-nighters in my career, and I keep terrible hours up to this day (I'm older than most of you guys), but it does take a toll. Studies now show that years of short-changed sleep will eventually play out in health problems that you will wish you didn't have. Knowing what I know now, if I had it to do over again, I'd be a lot smarter about getting proper sleep.

As the saying goes - "Health is wealth" So I believe this maxim and definitely don't scringe on sleep.

I work from 10 in the morning to 3 in the afternoon. After lunch I nap for around 2 hours and then start work at around 5 or so and go on to about 12pm.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" Remember???

Love

Georgina

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
6 to 8 Feb 6, 2007

Although the idea of having more waking hours in a day is appealing, the reality for me is that if I don't get enough sleep I become extremely inefficient...and grumpy.

Of course the occasional 4-hour night happens, but it cannot become a habit otherwise it's my work that suffers and then nobody is happy.

The alarm rings at 5:50am (my partner starts work at 7am), so I'm at my desk by 6:50am. That way I can get a good day's worth of translating or editing in and have thi
... See more
Although the idea of having more waking hours in a day is appealing, the reality for me is that if I don't get enough sleep I become extremely inefficient...and grumpy.

Of course the occasional 4-hour night happens, but it cannot become a habit otherwise it's my work that suffers and then nobody is happy.

The alarm rings at 5:50am (my partner starts work at 7am), so I'm at my desk by 6:50am. That way I can get a good day's worth of translating or editing in and have things wrapped up at a reasonable hour to enjoy doing other things in the evening.

Personally, I would not compromise my health (or sanity) for my clients. When I started as a freelancer I did succomb to a couple of agency-induced all-nighters, but as soon as I had built up a reasonable client base, I stopped accepting unreasonable projects and have never regretted it!

When I accept a job it's done on time--I just try (within reasonable limits) not to accept jobs that ask me to do the impossible and compromise my sleep and personal life to do so...or at least try not make a habit out of it!

A great day to all,
Jocelyne
Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Variation for phone talk Feb 6, 2007

OH MY GOD!!! TOMAS!!!

Variation for phone talk:

Client: "Good evening! Czopyk and Co.? We urge
... See more
OH MY GOD!!! TOMAS!!!

Variation for phone talk:

Client: "Good evening! Czopyk and Co.? We urgently need some words to be translated within few hours...I know it's 11.00pm...but can the job be done till midnight?"

"Never mind. I do not sleep at night at all. I get used to it. I already transformed to owl (NIGHT OWL is on my company logo long time ago, when I established a company 24 hours/day..."

NOTE for those who are not laughing yet:
This comment is supposed NOT to be fun.
It DOES offend SOME clients, SOME potential clients or NONE OF fictional clients.

(I am really not a night owl.
I would really drink coffee for my breakfast, if I had time to eat it. )

Sometimes I hate my work, but that's life and I have to continue...
NOTE : I NEVER heard " I apologize" - it is a typical situation in Central Europe. Most of the managers never think they could say something similar...
Translation office for them is just a service provider, they never see and do not want to see at all the people behind service.
I apologize for the mistakes, I know, my English is not correct, this language is just one of my working languages.
Love and best wishes to all,
Elizabeth
Collapse

Katharine Prucha
Katharine Prucha  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
I voted 6-8 Feb 6, 2007

It doesn't really have anything to do with my work habits though - I wake up between 6 and 7 a.m. no matter what time I go to bed, even on the weekends! Oh how I envy people who can "sleep in" on the weekend. So, on a weekday I usually turn the light out by 11 p.m. - mainly because I can't keep my eyes open later than that - unless I am out with my friends.....,

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many hours do you normally sleep on a working day?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »