Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: A "preferred client" is the client who (select the most relevant):
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 20, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "A "preferred client" is the client who (select the most relevant):".

This poll was originally submitted by MariusV

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For m
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "A "preferred client" is the client who (select the most relevant):".

This poll was originally submitted by MariusV

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:05
English to French
Other: all of them Feb 20, 2007

The older I get, the pickier I become...
Philippe

Sanmar
Sanmar
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:05
Dutch to English
Also 'other' Feb 20, 2007

For me a 'preferred client' is someone who both provides a steady workload and pays on time. No good having the workload when you have to spend ages hassling them for payment!

[Edited at 2007-02-20 14:41]

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Several of the above Feb 20, 2007

Pays on time... pays good rates... provides steady workflow...

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
well-organised Feb 20, 2007

I picked 'well-organised' as an organised agency (my clients are mostly agencies) is more likely to be a good payer and to keep their own clients, resulting in a steady workload for their translators.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Early symptoms Feb 20, 2007

A well-organized client in my 13 years of experience is one who has a steady flow of work, pays well, on time and provides interesting work. There's no secret to it. Being professional gets and keeps you work.

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 02:05
English to Russian
+ ...
Other Feb 20, 2007

The one who respects our profession and knows what "translation" means without additional lecturing and/or searching the word in the dictionary:-).

As a rule, such client embraces all the proposed options.

Martina Höppner (X)
Martina Höppner (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:05
English to German
+ ...
All of the above Feb 20, 2007

Well, all of them would be nice. But I've never met that yet… At least one thing is always missing.
I went with the steady workload though, those customers keep my business going. And if they wouldn't pay on time, I'd probably chose not to do too much work for them any more.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Ditto Philippe Feb 20, 2007

Philippe Etienne wrote:

The older I get, the pickier I become...
Philippe

Same here. I voted other - as in all of the above.

Alison

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Absolutely agree Feb 20, 2007

Angela Dickson wrote:
I picked 'well-organised' as an organised agency (my clients are mostly agencies) is more likely to be a good payer and to keep their own clients, resulting in a steady workload for their translators.

I selected the same, for exactly the same reasons.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
All of the above Feb 20, 2007

and if I could add something, I frankly prefer to work, if for agencies, under translator/interpreter project managers who know what the business is about and can inform/educate their clients.

Otherwise, you can get some disconcerting requests (DTP managers who don't know where a text goes despite your instructions, who can't distinguish style editing/unification from proofreading, who don't know how to defend you from continuous revisions of originals...) Administrative positions i
... See more
and if I could add something, I frankly prefer to work, if for agencies, under translator/interpreter project managers who know what the business is about and can inform/educate their clients.

Otherwise, you can get some disconcerting requests (DTP managers who don't know where a text goes despite your instructions, who can't distinguish style editing/unification from proofreading, who don't know how to defend you from continuous revisions of originals...) Administrative positions in Spain being very badly-paid, inexperienced PMs who have to be spoon-fed come to be an added problem.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto but especially "pays on time2"... Feb 21, 2007

Parrot wrote:

Otherwise, you can get some disconcerting requests (DTP managers who don't know where a text goes despite your instructions, who can't distinguish style editing/unification from proofreading, who don't know how to defend you from continuous revisions of originals...) Administrative positions in Spain being very badly-paid, inexperienced PMs who have to be spoon-fed come to be an added problem.

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
I chose "provides a steady workload" but Feb 21, 2007

I think most of the aspects above are important (quite hard to decide).

In order of preference:
- provides a steady workload
- is friendly/helpful
- pays good rates and on time

I think these are very important. If it's a friendly and helpful client s/he will extend deadline if you need it.

I also have very friendly/helpful clients who don't give me a steady workload but I lo
... See more
I think most of the aspects above are important (quite hard to decide).

In order of preference:
- provides a steady workload
- is friendly/helpful
- pays good rates and on time

I think these are very important. If it's a friendly and helpful client s/he will extend deadline if you need it.

I also have very friendly/helpful clients who don't give me a steady workload but I love to work with them when I have the opportunity. Some of them have very interesting projects as well.

Others pay on time and I know with whose clients I can rely on, on a specific date.

I also have got clients with those 3 important features to me and I really like to work with them.
Collapse

Leticia Klemetz, CT
Leticia Klemetz, CT  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
All of the above Feb 21, 2007

I agree with the others. My preferred client at present is one that I've been working with for two years, sends files more than once a week, pays perfectly on time with good rates, and the texts are interesting (but fairly repetitive, so Trados is a blessing - only at times terminology search can be very hard). It does get stressy when I'm getting several texts a day and all are ASAP but this lady is a pleasure to work with.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:05
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Steady workload, of course. Feb 21, 2007

Why?

"Steady workload" indicates that this client already has become a regular and why would you work with a company that is cheap, doesn't pay on time and is unprofessional on a regular basis anyway?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: A "preferred client" is the client who (select the most relevant):

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »