https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/66772-poll%3A_are_there_any_translators_among_your_friends.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Are there any translators among your friends?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 23, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are there any translators among your friends?".

This poll was originally submitted by Chiara

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see:
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are there any translators among your friends?".

This poll was originally submitted by Chiara

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Katharine Prucha
Katharine Prucha  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:15
Italian to English
+ ...
a couple... Feb 23, 2007

Most of my "mother tongue" friends much prefer to teach English than to translate - I have a couple of friends who do both - but translating is more on the side.
I, on the other hand, much prefer translating over teaching!

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Most!!! Feb 23, 2007

of my friends (and acquaitances) are translators, including a couple whom I include in the sub-group 'Best Friends.'

Au

[Editado a las 2007-02-23 14:33]

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:15
Member (2004)
English to French
Some Feb 23, 2007

My in-house colleagues became my friends along with the ones I already had.

Lubain Masum
Lubain Masum  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
My vote is none! Feb 23, 2007

None of my close friends took 'translation' as a profession, rather, they sometimes joke (positively) that this man (me) is translating everything around him! Sometimes they say to me you are really very patient or how come you translate this boring stuff (particularly from Bengali to English).

However, all of my close friends, who work in reputable government and non-government organisations home and abroad, always appreciate and value my profession.

It is to be menti
... See more
None of my close friends took 'translation' as a profession, rather, they sometimes joke (positively) that this man (me) is translating everything around him! Sometimes they say to me you are really very patient or how come you translate this boring stuff (particularly from Bengali to English).

However, all of my close friends, who work in reputable government and non-government organisations home and abroad, always appreciate and value my profession.

It is to be mentioned that after I took translation as profession, I got acquainted with a number of translators and over time some of them became my friends.
Collapse

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:15
English to French
+ ...
Two of them Feb 23, 2007

For the first one, our respective parents were friends before we were born, we were raised as if we were cousins, and we have had very similar adult lives until now: we went to live on different continents, moved again to other continents at around the same time, chose translation after having studied completely different things, and so much more... All with and for different reasons for doing it.
The other one is the person who, some years ago, put me back on my "language track", as it ac
... See more
For the first one, our respective parents were friends before we were born, we were raised as if we were cousins, and we have had very similar adult lives until now: we went to live on different continents, moved again to other continents at around the same time, chose translation after having studied completely different things, and so much more... All with and for different reasons for doing it.
The other one is the person who, some years ago, put me back on my "language track", as it actually was something I had always wanted to do and had let lay dormant. I am very grateful to her for this and for the trust she has put in me, as well as her cheering (if you ever read this, you know who you are: and thank you!).
These two friends are amongst the few ones whom I consider as best friends, although we live on three different continents for now. Thank you Internet!
But I don't really have "just friends" who are translators (yet, but I think that with the children growing up, I will bit by bit have more time to expand this aspect of being a translator).
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did the poll mean close friends or just acquaintances? Feb 23, 2007

None of my close friends are translators or interpreters. I have some friends who are translators, but we are not close friends or know of each other frequently, so I answered None, assuming that the poll meant close friends.

I also have to say that I am very happy because my close friends are not translators and are active in different technical areas, so I can ask them things every now and then!

[Edited at 20
... See more
None of my close friends are translators or interpreters. I have some friends who are translators, but we are not close friends or know of each other frequently, so I answered None, assuming that the poll meant close friends.

I also have to say that I am very happy because my close friends are not translators and are active in different technical areas, so I can ask them things every now and then!

[Edited at 2007-02-23 16:15]
Collapse

Lubain Masum
Lubain Masum  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
same to you! Feb 23, 2007

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

I also do the same!

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:15
French to English
am I being pedantic? Feb 23, 2007

Where's the option for 1 ?

I have one friend who is a translator. Still, I note 500 votes have been cast and no-one else seems to have encountered this issue. So perhaps my situation is unique. Always assuming my friend knows another translator that I don't.... (she is on here)....

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
None Feb 23, 2007

My friends say "You're a what? A translator? What does that eat in wintertime?".

I have a few acquaintances who are translators - mostly people I met in a powwow or people I have collaborated with that I later met. But I can't say we're friends... With all the work we do, we really don't have time to get to know each other fast enough to become friends, although it is relative... Just what is a friend?

Not only do I not have any translator friends, the only frien
... See more
My friends say "You're a what? A translator? What does that eat in wintertime?".

I have a few acquaintances who are translators - mostly people I met in a powwow or people I have collaborated with that I later met. But I can't say we're friends... With all the work we do, we really don't have time to get to know each other fast enough to become friends, although it is relative... Just what is a friend?

Not only do I not have any translator friends, the only friends I do have are all wondering what I do. They can't quite grasp what a translator does and they have no idea how I can work at home and get my contracts through the internet. That completely beats them! And they think I am extremely smart for doing this - little do they know...

[Edited at 2007-02-23 19:14]
Collapse

Chantal Kamgne
Chantal Kamgne  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
No Feb 23, 2007

I had to open an office in order to avoid visits from friends and other people who where refusing to understand that I stayed at home, but I WAS WORKING! So I try to make friends among fellow translators (Hi Viktoria).

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Some Feb 23, 2007

I replied "some", but I have a lot of friends who are translators and even many more who are not. I have a lot of friends period.

Perhaps the replies to this poll could have been phrased better.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:15
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
"Some" now; most were translators when I worked in-house Feb 24, 2007

Henry Hinds wrote:

I replied "some", but I have a lot of friends who are translators and even many more who are not. I have a lot of friends period.

Same for me, Henry! That's how it is for me today.

When I worked in-house and was active in translations politics, most of my friends at the time were colleagues. My earlier friends were on the back burner and I had few outside interests until I went back to school to get my graduate degrees.

Now I have friends from all phases of my life, and in my older years my interests have become more wide-ranging. It's a really eclectic bunch!

[Edited at 2007-02-24 06:57]

[Edited at 2007-02-24 06:58]

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Prozers Feb 24, 2007

Without going into the debate about what constitutes a friend, etc., just a brief comment (and no, I´m not after anything!) to say that I like the friendly feeling I get from the Proz community, people waiting to help each other, and accompanying with a cheery comment as often as not too! Thank you everyone. All the best, Noni.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:15
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Is 3 'some'? Feb 24, 2007

and, no, I'm not talking about a threesome...

G

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are there any translators among your friends?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »