https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/67814-poll_what_is_your_current_status.html

Poll: What is your current status?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 8, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your current status?".

This poll was originally submitted by Felipe Vallejo

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a ne
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your current status?".

This poll was originally submitted by Felipe Vallejo

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 22:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Freenalcer and other Mar 8, 2007

I missed an option like this. I guess that "employed full time" refers to the field of translation.
I'm employed (university teacher) and a full time freelancer. Should have I chosen "employed and FL"?

Lubain Masum
Lubain Masum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:08
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
"employed and FL"? Mar 8, 2007

Claudia

I am also in your situation. I am heart and soul freelance translator, translating and editing from the early morning up to midnight every day. But I am a sub-editor at a national English daily where I work six hours a day from 5:00pm to 11:00pm local time. I do not think it is part-time because the usual working here apart from overtime is six hours for all employees and the job offers me all types of benefits that a so-called full time job offers. The interesting thing is
... See more
Claudia

I am also in your situation. I am heart and soul freelance translator, translating and editing from the early morning up to midnight every day. But I am a sub-editor at a national English daily where I work six hours a day from 5:00pm to 11:00pm local time. I do not think it is part-time because the usual working here apart from overtime is six hours for all employees and the job offers me all types of benefits that a so-called full time job offers. The interesting thing is that my job responsibility here also includes translating and editing news items and reports.
Collapse

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:38
English to Hindi
+ ...
employed full time and (full time) freelancer Mar 8, 2007

Claudia Aguero wrote:

I missed an option like this. I guess that "employed full time" refers to the field of translation.
I'm employed (university teacher) and a full time freelancer. Should have I chosen "employed and FL"?

I'm like you, a University teacher and I work as a freelancer and I am sure I log in 35-40 hours a week [week on week] as a freelancer as well, if you spread out the hours.

Roomy

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
I am a full time freelancer Mar 8, 2007

The way I see it, a translator is either working 100 percent at translating, or he or she is not able to keep up with the pace of this demanding job.

When I was a fledgling translator some years ago, I tried working part time at another job. Much to my dismay, project managers would call me on the telephone while I was peacefully walking down the street on my way to my other job. I personally do not like this feeling of being in two places at the same time.

That is wh
... See more
The way I see it, a translator is either working 100 percent at translating, or he or she is not able to keep up with the pace of this demanding job.

When I was a fledgling translator some years ago, I tried working part time at another job. Much to my dismay, project managers would call me on the telephone while I was peacefully walking down the street on my way to my other job. I personally do not like this feeling of being in two places at the same time.

That is why I stopped working at anything that wasn't translating. That way, I'm never far away from my computer, and I am able to solve any problems as quickly as I can. This has given me a great deal of peace of mind.
Collapse

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
Other Mar 8, 2007

Full-time employee and freelancer on some evenings and week-ends.

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:08
English to Polish
+ ...
Almost the same Mar 8, 2007

Claudia Aguero wrote:

I selected Other, as I am a full time university teacher on a very long paid leave for health reasons, which (luckily) do not prevent me from free-lancing full time from home.
As my health is not likely to get any better soon, and I like being full time translator instead of part-timing for the last too-many years, I decided to quit the uni in September and stay where I am now. Would be hard to become a part-timer again, really

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I'm a double freelancer Mar 8, 2007

I work at least double the amount of hours in a week that an employee has to.

Anyway, I would not go back to being an employee.

Astrid

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 22:08
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other as well Mar 8, 2007

Nina Khmielnitzky wrote:

Full-time employee and freelancer on some evenings and week-ends.

This was not one of the options but that is my situation as well. Fortunately I do have the possibility of taking a day off work if I have a translation deadline to meet.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How about freelance & team lead? Mar 9, 2007

I think the option ""freelance & team lead" is missing, for people who are not employees but work together with partners and/or one or more translators as employees. I don't mean an agency, but a permanent translation team like ours here at ATWords.

[Edited at 2007-03-09 06:40]

Frances Bryce
Frances Bryce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:08
German to English
+ ...
Two places at once Mar 9, 2007

Reed D. James wrote:

I really understand what you're saying. When I started working freelance I promised myself that I would keep up some other work too..... I get a few hours here and there working on technical theatre and pyrotechnics. It's a real change from translation and gets me out in the open air, mixing with people (which makes real change) and doing something physically demanding.

Only problem was that as soon as I left the 'office' my mobile would start ringing and I'd end up panicking that I should perhaps be checking my emails every minute! Hardly an ideal situation as I felt that I couldn't concentrate 100% on either job.

Having pondered this problem for some time, I have now employed a 'secretary' (gullible family member) to man the phones/email while I'm out of the office. I get far more out of my '2nd job' now and my family also feel a lot more involved in my business too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your current status?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »