Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Poll: How do you keep awake when doing a "must be on our desk first thing in the morning translation?"
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 12:19
Member (2006)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Coffee and music Mar 11, 2007

Cofee makes me awake the whole night, but I seldom have to work until midnight

Carley Hydusik  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:19
Russian to English
+ ...
Who wants to do this? Mar 11, 2007

Does anyone really want to stay up all night working? Why should translators have to when most of the business world does not? I say no... if the client or agency can't find ANYONE who is willing to do it, they will eventually learn to ask a bit earlier or factor in enough time for work under appropriate conditions. Translators have to stick together on this! The only time I think you should work through the night is if you are the one who miscalculated how long a job should take to finish, and ... See more
Does anyone really want to stay up all night working? Why should translators have to when most of the business world does not? I say no... if the client or agency can't find ANYONE who is willing to do it, they will eventually learn to ask a bit earlier or factor in enough time for work under appropriate conditions. Translators have to stick together on this! The only time I think you should work through the night is if you are the one who miscalculated how long a job should take to finish, and well, then it HAS to be done.Collapse

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 01:19
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
We're not all the same Mar 11, 2007

Carley Hydusik wrote:

Does anyone really want to stay up all night working? ... Translators have to stick together on this!

Well, Carley, yeah... some of us actually like working all night. Speaking just for myself, I prefer to work when it's cool, and quiet, my husband's asleep, the phone doesn't ring, the TV's not on, I can wear whatever I want (which is sometimes very little--don't tell anyone! ;-D). I rarely go to bed before 2:00 am, often it's after 3:00, and it's no great sacrifice to go on a few more hours if necessary to get something to a client just as s/he is arriving at the office. My life is set up in such a way that, if I've worked all night, I can almost always sleep all day. And I like it that way.

I understand your point about translators having the power to improve our conditions, and get more respect for our profession, by refusing to work in unacceptable conditions. If I get a rush job that requires my working beyond 7 or 8 hours a day, I charge rush rates, up front. Of course, I occasionally take a job at regular rates when I'm already booked up, as a favor to a special client; that's my own choice.

If you've read the whole thread, you already know you're in a losing cause! Most of us, for better or worse, work all night from time to time.

Jane

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you keep awake when doing a "must be on our desk first thing in the morning translation?"

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search