Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Would you be willing to pay USD 25 to watch recorded sessions of the Budapest conference?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 00:52
SITE STAFF
Apr 12, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you be willing to pay USD 25 to watch recorded sessions of the Budapest conference?".

This poll was originally submitted by Csaba Ban

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 09:52
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
why it costs money Apr 12, 2007

Dear All,

This is a new idea to record the session of the Budapest conference and make them available to the general Proz.com community who are not able to attend the conference but interested in what's going on.

This is technically possible, but it costs money. We have to rent digital cameras for each conference room, we need to pay for technician time to change digital video casettes for each session, then download the video to a hard disk, edit each videoclip, then store it a server. All this cost money that can only be recovered by selling access to this premium content.

As I mentioned, this is premium content, and you will be able to watch the sessions for about EUR 20 or USD 25 (these prices are not yet final), without having to pay for the conference fee, accommodation, flight tickets, etc.

The plan is that you can either pay for an online access and download the videos from Proz.com's server (probably each session will be sliced up to smaller chunks), or pay for a DVD, which would be more expensive, since you have to pay for the raw DVD, plus post and packaging.

Also, conference participants would be able to access the downloadable video clips for free, but would have to pay for the DVD.

The purpose of this poll is to determine if there's any sizable demand to make this project a viable option. If we can see there are enough people out there who are interested in this, we'll do it.

All the best,
Csaba

Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
Rephrase? Apr 12, 2007

I think the question isn't ideally phrased:

Q. Would you be willing to pay USD 25 to watch recorded sessions of the Budapest conference?

A. Only if it's free.

In my case, no I wouldn't be willing to pay $25 and yes I might well watch recorded sessions if they were free.

Short arms, deep pockets, that's me!

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:22
German to English
A good idea Apr 12, 2007

Some of the sessions at the conference look very interesting and useful and are being presented by people with a lot of experience. I would be willing to pay the USD 25, since I won't be attending the conference personally.

Best regards,
Niraja

[Edited at 2007-04-12 15:11]

Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 10:52
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Alternative paying methods? Apr 12, 2007

Hi all,

Unfortunatelly I will not be able to attend and I was wondering if it would be possible to pay through alternative ways, such as:

- a certain period of membership, don't know, say a month...not sure how much a month fee costs;
- with browinies?

Are the conference rooms / parts of the conference charged separately?

Thanks

Fabiana

[Edited at 2007-04-12 17:05]

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cheapskate. Yes that´s me. Apr 12, 2007

It was a bit of a trick question wasn´t it?

My "other" was that I would very much like to see the sessions, but 25€ seems quite a lot, although no doubt it will indeed be cheap at the price etc etc. Just would prefer it to be cheaper (similar arm length to Sandra´s above!). My other "but" is that I really don´t know when I would have the time to watch them with the concentration they will deserve, since the three o´clock in the morning slot is currently reserved for housework...

[Edited at 2007-04-12 16:23]

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:52
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe if it's cheaper Apr 12, 2007

Hi, Csaba:

Well, if you have defined 25USD as the price I'm sure you also considered a universe of potential buyers. How manyn users are there in this universe, Csaba? If you give usanumber we can determine how much money Proz will collect and from that we can determine the purpopse of this DVD:
a) a help for translators who could not attend the conference
b) or just a business

I'd gladly buy it if these points are clearly explained to me and of course, if I can watch the DVD. Additional material is sugested, this is, the PP slides of the conference, the texts presented by the translators, etc. just like ATA does with the CD-ROM sold by its store. Otherwise, I'd offer just 15USD (post included).

Have a nice day.

[Edited at 2007-04-12 16:40]

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 03:52
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on content Apr 12, 2007

My keyboard wouldn't let me type my title at first--it insisted on writing "Depends on context." Hmmm....I wonder where that came from?

I voted "Other" because I would strongly consider paying $25 plus postage for a DVD IF it:

a) Includes all sessions (is that feasible?)
b) Includes sessions chosen by me

You're right, Csaba, that a DVD would be much cheaper than conference fee, flight, hotel, meals, etc. But on the other hand, I consider the #1 benefit of a conference to be face time with colleagues.

I don't know when I would find time to watch a DVD, with the proper attention. But I'm much more likely to do that than to read texts. I still have a stack of unread manuscripts from my last ATA conference!

Nice idea, Csaba. If you decide to do it, count on me as a buyer, assuming the content is sufficiently tempting.

Have a great time, all you fortunate ones who will be attending!

Jane

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
help AND business Apr 12, 2007

It's really impossible to make a distinction between helping translators who cannot attend the conference and business.

It is technically possible to record the sessions, but this costs money. We will only do this if there is at least a certain number of people paying for it. To be more precise, we need 100 people to break even.

This is an additional service that's only possible if there some people paying for it, and on the other hand, this is an additional service that means added value to the translators community at large. If you consider that for EUR 20 (for which an average translator works for about an hour) you get about 30 to 40 hours worth of video, it's perhaps the best EUR 20 you ever paid.

Of course this is not compulsory, just an additional opportunity of professional development.

And if this turns out well, we *may* be offering a similar service for future conferences as well. In due time, we could even build a library of recorded conference sessions.

Csaba

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
I'd definitely buy Apr 12, 2007

Having participated in all conferences so far - I'd definitely buy recorded sessions. In all conferences I had to make difficult decisions which sessions to chose as practically all have been so interesting, with a DVD I could listen to all sessions! It's almost like having 3 conferences in the price of one (for only €25).

Great idea, Csaba.

Magda

Maria Tulbure  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:52
Member (2005)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Agree with Magda Apr 12, 2007

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

Having participated in all conferences so far - I'd definitely buy recorded sessions. In all conferences I had to make difficult decisions which sessions to chose as practically all have been so interesting, with a DVD I could listen to all sessions! It's almost like having 3 conferences in the price of one (for only €25).

Great idea, Csaba.

Magda

I would buy recorded sessions. Just as Magda said I also had to make difficult decissions which sessions to choose. For instance, I still don't know which of the three sessions to be held on April 30th in the morning I'll attend, as I signed up for all of them but I have not made up my mind yet. This is the first ProZ.com conference I attend and I don't know if I'll have a second chance to attend another, so I think it would be wonderful and in my opinion not very expensive, to have a DVD with all the sessions.

[Edited at 2007-04-12 19:40]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
More than 50% of the voters would like it for free Apr 12, 2007

Leaving aside the question, if 25 US $ is much or not, it wonders me strongly, why?
Are the pepople voting "for free" naive enough to expect free gifts in todays world? Or is this really a money issue. A money issue is a reason, which I can accept and understand. But what I can't understand is, how those 50% may expect someone to put so much work in preparation and realisation of such a undertaking completly for free, or - as in this case - even pay for it just in order to give the results for free to them. Would all of those voters give their own work completly for free or even invest some money in a project just to give it than away for free?

Sorry for beeing a little bit sarcastic, but this is not the first time a poll on similar question is beeing held, and the results are surprising me again and again.
Seeing this from my point of view the question is very simple: if I'm able to attend the conference, I do so and take any advantage of it, including the live meeting of other ProZians. OTOH, if I wouldn't be able to attend the conference and there would be a session, which is of interest for me, I would pay for seeing it. This is value for money. No more and no less.
And on top, it would not disturb me at all, if someone would have some business from that. But this is just my very subjective personal point of view.

Jerzy

PS
Please understand, that I do not intent to offend anyone. If this post should sound offending to anyone, please take into account, that I'm posting in English, which isn't my working language and of which I have only a very limited command. Thank you

[Edited at 2007-04-12 21:11]

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
54% don't want it at all. For free or otherwise Apr 12, 2007

[quote]Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But what I can't understand is, how those 50% may expect someone to put so much work in preparation and realisation of such a undertaking completly for free, or - as in this case - even pay for it just in order to give the results for free to them. Would all of those voters give their own work completly for free or even invest some money in a project just to give it than away for free?
[ End quote]

54% have said they aren't interested at all. Around 30% would like it for free.
I agree that if it means buying a recording of all the Trados sessions too, then 25€ might be good value for those who would have liked to hear them.
Like all such affairs, they mean the most to those who attended and/or participated. It's a bit much to assume that those not interested in attending for whatever reason, financial or other, would be keen to have the thrill of owning a recording'.

[Edited at 2007-04-12 22:48]

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:52
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Additional info Apr 13, 2007

Csaba, are you planning to create this DVD just with video files? Or would include text files and Powerpoint slides?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
@Writeaway Apr 13, 2007

Yes, you are right, I misinterpreted the results.
However, this does not change what I wanted to say - there are still roughl 30%, who wouldn't pay for that.
And this still wonders me, as I said before.

Jerzy

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you be willing to pay USD 25 to watch recorded sessions of the Budapest conference?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search