Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Would you be willing to pay USD 25 to watch recorded sessions of the Budapest conference?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:36
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
DVDs Apr 13, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And this still wonders me, as I said before.

I'm surprised too. The price is so insignificant compared to the value...

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Suggestion Apr 13, 2007

20€ is not really very much, but many people, including myself, are always tempted to avoid this sort of thing on the grounds of uneccessary expenditure, not really having the time etc.
Why not offer one free "sample" video to download, which everyone will presumably watch and then (probably) decide that yes, these videos are really interesting and it is definitely worth finding the time, and the 20€, to watch the others.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Members only? Apr 13, 2007

Now that would be a good perk.

Marija Stojanovich
Marija Stojanovich  Identity Verified
Serbia
Serbian to English
+ ...
Definitely! Apr 13, 2007

I'd definitely buy it (preferably on DVD, as I already DL too much every day), since I won't be able to make it to any meeting this year. Babies and business travel rarely mix well...

And creating a library of Proz conferences is a great idea! Both help and business wise...

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:36
Member (2004)
English to Italian
free for members... Apr 13, 2007

chargeable for non members... this makes more sense. Personally, I wouldn't buy it. Having been to one conference before, I think the 'lectures' are more for the less experienced amongst us.

Giovanni

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You may be right, but... Apr 13, 2007

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

chargeable for non members... this makes more sense. Personally, I wouldn't buy it. Having been to one conference before, I think the 'lectures' are more for the less experienced amongst us.

Giovanni

This depends strongly on what are you experienced with.
Assuming, you are an expert in DejaVu, you still might be a beginner in translating xml-files, using Word on advanced level or similar.
And that is the core point of each conference - more experienced user share their experience with less experienced user. Beeing to only one conference does not give you the full impression of what you can achieve, both in professional and social terms.
I strongly assume you attended the first ProZ conference in Oxford. Myself I also had the pleasure to attend this conference, and now, after having attended three more of them, I can ony say, that each of them topped (or at least reached the same high level) of the one before. Oxford was the first ProZ conference (leaving the meeting in Tuscany very early in ProZ history aside) and thus had for me the status of an experiment, with some shortages. Therefore, if I may, I would recommend you the attendance of our next conference - you will not regret it.

Regards
Jerzy

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
maybe... Apr 13, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I strongly assume you attended the first ProZ conference in Oxford. Myself I also had the pleasure to attend this conference, and now, after having attended three more of them, I can ony say, that each of them topped (or at least reached the same high level) of the one before. Oxford was the first ProZ conference (leaving the meeting in Tuscany very early in ProZ history aside) and thus had for me the status of an experiment, with some shortages. Therefore, if I may, I would recommend you the attendance of our next conference - you will not regret it.

Regards
Jerzy

yes, Jerzy, I sat opposite you in the pub, before the meal...

I know what you are saying, but I don't think the Budapest program offers anything remotely interesting or that hasn't been debated before, to be frank. Maybe, after 15 years in the profession I've seen it all... it's probably my fault.

Giovanni

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Break even point Apr 13, 2007

Csaba Ban wrote:

It is technically possible to record the sessions, but this costs money. We will only do this if there is at least a certain number of people paying for it. To be more precise, we need 100 people to break even.

Csaba

Hi,
After looking at the program of the conference I find some sessions very interesting and since I can't attend, I'm ready to pay for the recording, that's a good idea. The price doesn't look excessive to me, after all it's about the price of a movie DVD here in France.
I notice that about 1000 persons have voted, among which 6% i.e. 60 who are ready to pay to download and 4% i.e. 40 who'd buy the DVD. So although the majority is not interested in the recording, you may have enough to break even.

Best regards
Marie-Céline

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, I'm still learning Apr 13, 2007

Maybe, after 15 years in the profession I've seen it all... it's probably my fault.

Giovanni

I'm in business since January 1990, this means 17 years now. And still I see a lot of things I could learn - some of them will be presented in Budapest. But it is just my personal point of view. Probably there is no area of interest for you in Budapest - nevertheless, even meeting other people is for me reason enough to go.
So it was in Oxford too
Nice pub it was, btw, wasn't it?

Jerzy

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Apr 13, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I'm in business since January 1990, this means 17 years now. And still I see a lot of things I could learn - some of them will be presented in Budapest. But it is just my personal point of view. Probably there is no area of interest for you in Budapest - nevertheless, even meeting other people is for me reason enough to go.

Jerzy

yes, I think it's matter of personal preferences...

So it was in Oxford too
Nice pub it was, btw, wasn't it?

a bit too loud for me... but I enjoyed the evening.

Giovanni

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Economics Apr 13, 2007

Csaba Ban wrote:

It is technically possible to record the sessions, but this costs money. We will only do this if there is at least a certain number of people paying for it. To be more precise, we need 100 people to break even.
Csaba

I wonder if what you really mean is that you need 2,500 USD to break even. You have decided on a fairly arbitrary (yet not unreasonable) price of 25 USD, therefore you need to sell 100 to recoup 2500 USD.
But if you had decided on a price of 20 USD, you would be telling us that you need to sell 125, wouldn't you?

The question, which is very difficult to answer, and which is why there is such a thing as market research, is what is the price level which would enable you to bring in the most money?

If the price were halved, would more than twice as many people have said 'yes' (= more $$$)?

If the price were doubled, would more than half the people then say 'no' (=less $$$) or would more than half still say 'yes' (= more $$$)?

Personally, for example, I could be willing to pay around 10 USD, but I don't know what I'm really buying, and if it turns out to be useless (for me), then I can accept that I have 'wasted' 10 USD. I'm not happy about potentially 'wasting' 25 USD. If you had 250 people like me, you would still break even, woudn't you (assuming the marginal cost of actually physically producing one DVD is almost nil)?

I'm not really trying to criticise here, just saying that it's financially a more complex issue than it may first appear, and is not really as black and white as '25 bucks, yes or no'.

Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni
Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni  Identity Verified
Albania
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Am interested, but had no answer to my questions Apr 13, 2007

Hi all again,

I don't know if the organizers dis see my message in this thread. I wrote that unfortunately I will not be able to attend but would be very interested to buy. I had also asked if:

- The conference rooms (events) will be charged separately, so one buys what is interested "to attend";
- If one can pay with days/weeks/month membership fee, meaning, example: take off three weeks of my membership which would expire three weeks earlier. I completely agr
... See more
Hi all again,

I don't know if the organizers dis see my message in this thread. I wrote that unfortunately I will not be able to attend but would be very interested to buy. I had also asked if:

- The conference rooms (events) will be charged separately, so one buys what is interested "to attend";
- If one can pay with days/weeks/month membership fee, meaning, example: take off three weeks of my membership which would expire three weeks earlier. I completely agree with Jerzy, but do not forget that some times one may also face logistic issue while paying such small amount say with a credit card.

Kind regards,

Fabiana
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just an idea Apr 13, 2007

I don’t know if I’m complicating things or not (it’s not my intention), but I would be interested in being able to download certain parts of the conference (paying or not).

I wouldn’t really want to pay one fee for parts that might not interest me, but it would be good if each session were individually available as a download. The fee would be smaller, I suppose, and maybe more people would be interested.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well... Apr 13, 2007

a bit too loud for me... but I enjoyed the evening.

Giovanni

I would mean these are all of them. What would be a pub without ale and music?

Jerzy, who enjoyed the music, but couldn't understand a word

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you be willing to pay USD 25 to watch recorded sessions of the Budapest conference?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »