Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you write fiction in your spare time?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 18, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you write fiction in your spare time?".

This poll was originally submitted by somalister

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see:
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you write fiction in your spare time?".

This poll was originally submitted by somalister

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Ma. Fernanda Blesa
Ma. Fernanda Blesa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:08
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
just "no" Apr 18, 2007

I mean, I wouldn't like to but it has crossed my mind... so I had to go for "other" on this one

Lubain Masum
Lubain Masum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:08
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Other: As my choice is not there Apr 18, 2007

I used to write short stories and some novels in Bengali when I was a student in college and university, and a good number of them have been published in national newspapers and magazines. But as I entered the professional life and began to earn a handsome amount of money (!), I began to lose all my creativity and thinking capability for new ideas and plots for stories and gradually I stopped writing fiction and focused fully on translation. Now I even do not have enough time to read storybooks ... See more
I used to write short stories and some novels in Bengali when I was a student in college and university, and a good number of them have been published in national newspapers and magazines. But as I entered the professional life and began to earn a handsome amount of money (!), I began to lose all my creativity and thinking capability for new ideas and plots for stories and gradually I stopped writing fiction and focused fully on translation. Now I even do not have enough time to read storybooks or short stories published in daily newspapers on weekend. I feel regret that I became too commercial and sometimes feel that I have to take less projects to find out time for other creative works. But for unknown reasons, it does not happen!

Anyway, I think there should have been an option in the poll for people like me who used to write but now do not.
Collapse

Matt Stott
Matt Stott  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:08
Russian to English
+ ...
Inspiration cannot be bidden Apr 18, 2007

When I'm not flat out working, resting from having been flat out working, or cleaning up because I spent too long being flat out working and then resting from it, I do like to write. Indeed, it is one of the few things that I reliably find personally and thoroughly rewarding.

The only problem is that inspiration cannot be bidden, so that simply wanting to write is not enough to sit down and write something worthwhile. If I worked less, I could write more, but then I would be sacrifi
... See more
When I'm not flat out working, resting from having been flat out working, or cleaning up because I spent too long being flat out working and then resting from it, I do like to write. Indeed, it is one of the few things that I reliably find personally and thoroughly rewarding.

The only problem is that inspiration cannot be bidden, so that simply wanting to write is not enough to sit down and write something worthwhile. If I worked less, I could write more, but then I would be sacrificing some short-term goals to what I believe is my longer-term welfare.

Furthermore, I tell myself that I can sit down and continue with my novel(s) whenever I feel like it. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the work to deliver by tomorrow's deadline, so it looks like I'm going to be flat out today and tomorrow and then I have more cleaning up to do and so it goes on.
Collapse

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:08
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Apr 18, 2007

I used to, but now I don't have much spar time to do it or other hobby I have.

Deschant
Deschant
Yes, always Apr 18, 2007

Since I was 5 years old, and with 4 fiction books published since then...

[Editado a las 2007-04-18 15:51]

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:08
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Not fiction... Apr 18, 2007

I write in my spare time, but not fiction. I used to be a journalist, and now I'm working on my autobiography. I also write poetry from time to time.

I really admire people who can make up stories, but it isn't one of my talents!

Amy

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Yes Apr 18, 2007

Actually I am a published writer and writing is something I started long time before translating

Anni

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:08
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
non-fiction Apr 18, 2007

I've published articles and a book on medieval research, and the next project is a series of translations of medieval texts with commentary.

Francesca Grandinetti
Francesca Grandinetti
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Other Apr 18, 2007

Hi!

I used to write tales when I was a student (during my high school years)...I stopped, but I still have nice memories of that period.

Have a nice evening

Franzi

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
I used to Apr 18, 2007

What a surprising poll! Reminds me of how much fun and satisfaction it is to write short stories.
I used to do it. When I was a student I even joined a group of young writers in Düsseldorf. We did some perfomances as well. Some years ago a short story of mine was published in an anthology, which did not become famous. Later (already moved to the Netherlands) I joined some creative writing workshops in Germany where I have
... See more
What a surprising poll! Reminds me of how much fun and satisfaction it is to write short stories.
I used to do it. When I was a student I even joined a group of young writers in Düsseldorf. We did some perfomances as well. Some years ago a short story of mine was published in an anthology, which did not become famous. Later (already moved to the Netherlands) I joined some creative writing workshops in Germany where I have learned to distinguish platitudes and to kill my darlings.;-)
Lately I did not write anything, but I really want to restart this. I have some ideas for a thrilling short story with a translator as a main character.
Regards Steffi
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Other Apr 18, 2007

Because a simple "no" wasn't on offer...

Actually I have written a couple of short stories over the years (literally 2, I think), strictly for personal enjoyment/despair, but the last time must have been getting on for 10 years ago. Still, I can hardly say it hasn't crossed my mind, can I!

Elena Carbonell
Elena Carbonell  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, sometimes Apr 18, 2007

I have written sketches for the Spanish television (paid and screened) and I am on my way to write a screenplay.

I have to say this is one of the most interesting polls I have ever seen. It's nice to see how the translation, writing and creating are connected.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fiction no, but writing yes Apr 18, 2007

I just recently took up writing short, unremunerated travel guide articles for a Web page about Spain. Although it means more sitting in front of the computer, it’s like a whole other world. My translation work involves SOPs, Expert Reports and all sorts of other very NON-creative writing. Writing articles let’s me satisfy that urge to create that many translators have. I would heartily recommend any sort of creative writing (fiction or non-fiction) to those who are in the same situation as ... See more
I just recently took up writing short, unremunerated travel guide articles for a Web page about Spain. Although it means more sitting in front of the computer, it’s like a whole other world. My translation work involves SOPs, Expert Reports and all sorts of other very NON-creative writing. Writing articles let’s me satisfy that urge to create that many translators have. I would heartily recommend any sort of creative writing (fiction or non-fiction) to those who are in the same situation as I am.Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would LOVE to read prozie narratives.... Apr 18, 2007

STORIES!!! Fact or fiction, who cares? Like, what would you tell us over a campfire...?

(That said, some of the facts I wrote were stranger than fiction...)

(And that said, thanks to JCEC for sharing his parrot stories)

[Edited at 2007-04-18 22:34]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you write fiction in your spare time?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »