Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Things you do to freshen up your brain and continue translating
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 27, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Things you do to freshen up your brain and continue translating".

This poll was originally submitted by Alfredo Tanús

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run.
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Things you do to freshen up your brain and continue translating".

This poll was originally submitted by Alfredo Tanús

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:14
Member (2004)
English to Italian
nap Apr 27, 2007

short and sharp... nothing better... well, I am Italian after all...

Giovanni

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
many Apr 27, 2007

Browse the internet, read the news, watch a bit of sport (snooker at the moment), go for a walk when I have the time to take a break of an hour or more, chat to a friend/colleague, post on a forum, read a forum and so on.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
All of the above Apr 27, 2007

I do any one or a combination of the things listed, but my favourite is taking a nap. Maybe I have some Italian blood I didn't know about.

Raffaella Cornacchini
Raffaella Cornacchini  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
for a quick fix... Apr 27, 2007

there's nothing better than a cup of coffee. For a longer break, I work out. Now that's unwind!
Raffaella

Béatrice Huret-Morton
Béatrice Huret-Morton  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
housework or music mostly Apr 27, 2007

Although I've been known to do all of the things listed in the poll, I find housework and playing music the most distracting and relaxing activities when forced to keep working despite being exhausted.

The nice thing about housework (cooking included) is the by-products (clean place, ironed clothes, pie, etc.), plus you may lose weight if you do enough of it, and it's good for your health (the WHO recommends 15 minutes standing for every hour spent sitting, so I heard).

... See more
Although I've been known to do all of the things listed in the poll, I find housework and playing music the most distracting and relaxing activities when forced to keep working despite being exhausted.

The nice thing about housework (cooking included) is the by-products (clean place, ironed clothes, pie, etc.), plus you may lose weight if you do enough of it, and it's good for your health (the WHO recommends 15 minutes standing for every hour spent sitting, so I heard).

Cheers,

Béa
Collapse

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:14
Portuguese to English
+ ...
various Apr 27, 2007

I have various methods of recharging the ol´ batteries, including:
take a walk (with my daughter if she is not in school)
take a nap
snack and/or coffee break (although, I more or less drink coffee continuously, even while working...I should just get a coffee IV).
go rollerskating (with my daughter if she is not in school)
go for a drive (rare, of late, wishing to be environmentally conscious, but if I have errands to run, like delivering documents to fedex or the
... See more
I have various methods of recharging the ol´ batteries, including:
take a walk (with my daughter if she is not in school)
take a nap
snack and/or coffee break (although, I more or less drink coffee continuously, even while working...I should just get a coffee IV).
go rollerskating (with my daughter if she is not in school)
go for a drive (rare, of late, wishing to be environmentally conscious, but if I have errands to run, like delivering documents to fedex or the post office, purchasing ink or other office supplies, COFFEE, other groceries...)
Chat with the Mrs. over coffee
do other fun stuff with the Mrs.
Read a book with my daughter
Play a game (on the computer, or with my daughter, or both)
chat on msn
clean the house
play my guitar
gardening
paint (http://www.photodharma.com is my art site)
check the e-mail
update the website(s)
phone someone (like my mom or my brother)
answer a poll or hang out on the proz forums
answer kudoz

More and more I find myself wanting to get away from the computer, but, at times, for just a short break, a little computer game or chat, etc. functions.
I like best to get outdoors.
Collapse

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:14
English to Latvian
+ ...
Other: Apr 27, 2007

All the above mentioned and even more, depending on my mood, tiredness, circumstances etc. I do not like routine

[Edited at 2007-04-27 15:08]

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:14
English to French
+ ...
Other: housework... Apr 27, 2007

not much time for anything else!
Otherwise, if I can, I love to read a book.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
What I WANT to do is rest my eyes, but ... Apr 27, 2007

I really should go for a walk but somehow that never happens.

Mainly I stay at the computer, answering Kudoz questions, going through emails, looking at property sites (trying to sell my house in the South of France if anyone's interested!) or reading a book.

The problem with all these activities is that although they may relax the brain they don't do much for the eyes (or the neck for that matter - ouch!).

Gardening is the only activity that really relaxe
... See more
I really should go for a walk but somehow that never happens.

Mainly I stay at the computer, answering Kudoz questions, going through emails, looking at property sites (trying to sell my house in the South of France if anyone's interested!) or reading a book.

The problem with all these activities is that although they may relax the brain they don't do much for the eyes (or the neck for that matter - ouch!).

Gardening is the only activity that really relaxes everything but I've only got a balcony and there's only so much one can do in a few square metres.
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Nap Apr 27, 2007

That's my favourite activity... and I don't even have Giovanni's excuse

At least, it gives me a fresh supply of energy and then I'm ready to do what I love doing... translate

Heike Kurtz
Heike Kurtz  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
nap or 1000 steps Apr 27, 2007

In Germany, we say "after a meal, you should either have a nap or walk 1000 steps". Well, I do not know about the meal thing, but to rest my eyes and circulate my blood, I like to listen to some good music and dance or do aerobics for about 10 to 20 minutes. If the weather is fine, I might take a walk around my garden, look after the plants, have a cup of coffee - and the occasional nap is also an option.

Miguel Miranda
Miguel Miranda  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Apr 27, 2007

Smoking an absolutely delicious cigarette, of course.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:14
English to French
+ ...
Stargate Apr 27, 2007

Watching an episode of Stargate (or some other captivating sci-fi programme) is relaxing and really gets my mind off those segmentation marks. Also, it usually takes an hour, so I find that it is an ideal duration for a pause when too much translation stuff has built up in my sorry translator brain.

Second would be housework, but I have integrated that so well that I don't have any housework periods in my day. I am a disorganized cleaner which actually makes for a clean house. When
... See more
Watching an episode of Stargate (or some other captivating sci-fi programme) is relaxing and really gets my mind off those segmentation marks. Also, it usually takes an hour, so I find that it is an ideal duration for a pause when too much translation stuff has built up in my sorry translator brain.

Second would be housework, but I have integrated that so well that I don't have any housework periods in my day. I am a disorganized cleaner which actually makes for a clean house. When I visit the bathroom, I sometimes take five minutes to clean the sink. When I get a snack from the fridge, I sometimes wipe the anti-spill shelves while I'm at it. When I go outside for a break, I pick up the garbage that passers-by throw on my lawn (oh, lovely dewy sticky cigarette butts - I'd be so bored without you!). I don't remember actively cleaning house for the past couple of years... So even if I wanted to take a break to do housework - I have never enough housework needing to get done to actually say I'm doing housework.

One that will never be on my list is talking on the phone. I hate phones, whether I use if for work or anything else! Even the sound of it ringing chills my blood! Do I have a phobia or other freelancers have this problems as well? Please, tell me I'm nomal!
Collapse

Kalinka Hristova
Kalinka Hristova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 03:14
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Other: Music Apr 27, 2007

Something fresh and lively to wake me up, even though I would like to sleep, and sleep, and sleep ....

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Things you do to freshen up your brain and continue translating

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »