Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which is the largest TM you've ever worked with?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:46
Italian to English
+ ...
Your call answered! May 17, 2007

lexical wrote:

I've asked this sort of question before and got myself chastised by the moderators - but what is the point of this poll? Would ryancolm please tell us?

I know these Quick Polls are supposed to be light-hearted and many are amusing and fun, I agree) but what are we supposed to do with the information that comes out of this?

If you can see any point to this, I would dearly like you to share it with those of us who are mystified. I, for one, have an extensive library of TMs and haven't the faintest idea (or any interest in knowing) how big they are.

Hi there lexical,
Thanks for your enquiry.
I asked this question mainly out of curiosity, and partly because I wondered if, as a TM gets really big, TRADOS (or whatever CAT tool you use) response times begin to suffer. (So I was really happy to see the response about a TM with 500,000 TUs.) The biggest TM I've ever used had only about 12,000 TUs.

Response times can be a big deal; in fact I stopped using MultiTerm because of this. I set up a (fairly small) termbase and enabled term searching in Trados, expecting to see suggested terms pop up instantly. Instead, when I opened a TU, I often had to wait for 5 seconds or more for suggested terms to appear in the little window... and this for a termbase with approx. 100 entries. This was slowing me down, so I got rid of MultiTerm completely.
I hope this answers your question.
Colm

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Gotcha!! May 17, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

What is the biggest hard disk you've ever worked with? I'm dead serious;P - this will give everybody a chance to chip in.

Btw, is there anybody out there that can match my answer? Original IBM Winchester drives, size 1,5 feet across, half a foot in height.

Are you talking about the disk pack or the disk drive? The biggest disk drive I've ever worked with was about the size of a washing machine, it was on an old Prime 750 minicomputer. The disk pack was about the dimensions you mentioned.

LinguaLab.net
LinguaLab.net
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:46
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Size doesn't matter, it's how you use it that counts ;o) May 17, 2007

I answered N/A, too. I work with several TMs but haven't got the faintest idea how many TUs they consist of. IMO, useful TMs relate to very limited topics. Size is irrelevant.

Thanks for the poll, though - the various comments are very interesting to read!

[Edited at 2007-05-17 07:52]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
130K TU's May 17, 2007

Right now our largest memory is one we have been feeding since 1997, and which contains over 130.000 TUs. We have some other ones around the 100K TU's but about half of our work is associated to memories wich less than 20.000 TU's.

I must say that we don't see a significant difference in performance from one memory with 1.000 TU's to another one with 100.000 TU's. Reaction times are usually good with a regular PC and a relatively inexpensive server.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which is the largest TM you've ever worked with?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »