https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/73672-poll_how_many_items_do_you_have_on_your_desk_right_now.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: How many items do you have on your desk right now?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 23, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many items do you have on your desk right now?".

This poll was originally submitted by Alison Riddell-Kachur

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For mo
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many items do you have on your desk right now?".

This poll was originally submitted by Alison Riddell-Kachur

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
6 to 10 May 23, 2007

No one asked for an actual list of items, but my favourite items on my desk are: a calendar with pictures of Vermont, where I grew up. (It sure is lovely there this time of year!); A collage of pictures my oldest daughter made for me for Father’s day last year of her and her sisters (they sure do grow up fast - too fast ); a small round “tuit” so I can never say I need to get one and a pencil holder with a cartoon I cut from... See more
No one asked for an actual list of items, but my favourite items on my desk are: a calendar with pictures of Vermont, where I grew up. (It sure is lovely there this time of year!); A collage of pictures my oldest daughter made for me for Father’s day last year of her and her sisters (they sure do grow up fast - too fast ); a small round “tuit” so I can never say I need to get one and a pencil holder with a cartoon I cut from a magazine several years ago. It’s a scene with an employee holding a pile of folders under his arm. He’s standing in front of his boss’ desk. The boss is chiding him saying, “You always get to work on time and never leave early. You’re always at your desk and never take any sick time. Now, if you’d just do some work!Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Wot no dictionaries? May 23, 2007

No dictionaries, no manuscript printouts for your current job, the next three jobs that are waiting for you, the last three jobs you haven't got round to tidying away yet, a note pad or three, an assortment of pens and pencils to make notes, your office phone and mobile, a few pads of sticky notes ready to use, a manuscript stand or two, a handbook for that piece of hardware or software that you have just installed or still need to instal, the advertising brochure(s) that you mean to look at ... See more
No dictionaries, no manuscript printouts for your current job, the next three jobs that are waiting for you, the last three jobs you haven't got round to tidying away yet, a note pad or three, an assortment of pens and pencils to make notes, your office phone and mobile, a few pads of sticky notes ready to use, a manuscript stand or two, a handbook for that piece of hardware or software that you have just installed or still need to instal, the advertising brochure(s) that you mean to look at

Not even a monitor, keyboard, mouse and mousepad!

Just a minute, I'll have a look to see of there really is a desk under this lot.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I could say the same about May 23, 2007

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

Just a minute, I'll have a look to see of there really is a desk under this lot.

... the number of files on my desktop screen

I have this habit of leaving unresolved files there as reminders of "things to do".

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Add to that list... May 23, 2007

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

No dictionaries, no manuscript printouts for your current job, the next three jobs that are waiting for you, the last three jobs you haven't got round to tidying away yet, a note pad or three, an assortment of pens and pencils to make notes, your office phone and mobile, a few pads of sticky notes ready to use, a manuscript stand or two, a handbook for that piece of hardware or software that you have just installed or still need to instal, the advertising brochure(s) that you mean to look at

Not even a monitor, keyboard, mouse and mousepad!

a tea cup, measuring tape, plans for the new house we've just started to build, some chocolate wrappers, glue for kids craft projects, contact lens fluid, spectacle wipes, a printer, my stamp and ink pad for certified translations, some earrings I took out ages ago, packets of tissues, a DVD I ordered and haven't watched yet, left-over decorations from my Easter wreath, a baby's rattle, some music CDs, my computer headset, a calculator, my scanner, my printer, the keyboard from my server, some of my daughter's school jotters.....

I guess I ought to tidy my desk one day - who knows what other treasures I might find!

Vittorina Klingbeil (X)
Vittorina Klingbeil (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to English
+ ...
20+ for sure May 23, 2007

Let's see, among various papers, printouts, bills, pads and usual stuff like printer and lamp, pencils and pens, I have various photos of the kids, various pottery items made by the kids over the years, little toys, lots of dust, and ...

even my keyboard is adorned by some Zulu friendship beads given to me my son, a little pottery heart, and a little tiny picture book of cute animals

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Finally found the mouse and clicked the 15-items option May 23, 2007

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Missing options May 23, 2007

21-40
40-80
100+

I'm in the 40-80 category, iincluding several dictionaries pictures, assorted computer parts, a toy car, some pens, a pocket knife, some rubber bands and a couple of unidentifiable objects I use as paper weights.

And I can still see my desk.

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 18:43
only 6 items May 23, 2007

Laptop
Beverage
Pen jar
notebook
phone
printer

I really cannot bear a cluttered desk. I really don't know how some of you manage to fit so much on a single surface.

I got a set of clear plastic drawers from Argos a few years ago and I chuck everything into them.
I share a house with other people which is why I don't want my work stuff lying around the place.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Messy desk = ... May 23, 2007

Orla Ryan wrote:

I really cannot bear a cluttered desk. I really don't know how some of you manage to fit so much on a single surface.

I got a set of clear plastic drawers from Argos a few years ago and I chuck everything into them.
I share a house with other people which is why I don't want my work stuff lying around the place.

I answered 6 to 10 too Orla, but here's what the experts say about those who answered 20+

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/smth08.shtml

[Editado a las 2007-05-23 15:16]

[Editado a las 2007-05-23 15:17]

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
*lol* May 23, 2007

It doesn't help either that I'm blonde, I guess.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Two desks, a chair and the floor... May 23, 2007

So don't ask for a list of what's on them I'm voting 20+ but the plus includes quite a large collection of items, assuming the 20 means basic tools of the trade!

Still, there are only 5 hand-blown glass items, half a spherical candle, two and a half plants (one has a 'baby' shoot), a cat ornament and an elephant ditto on the window sill...

My son moved out of the room several years ago, before I went fr
... See more
So don't ask for a list of what's on them I'm voting 20+ but the plus includes quite a large collection of items, assuming the 20 means basic tools of the trade!

Still, there are only 5 hand-blown glass items, half a spherical candle, two and a half plants (one has a 'baby' shoot), a cat ornament and an elephant ditto on the window sill...

My son moved out of the room several years ago, before I went freelance. He was beginning to sleep with his feet sticking into the passage because the room was too small! I will have to reinstate the door if we ever have children in the house again.

Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Can barely see :-( May 23, 2007

Guess about time for cleaning. Thanks for the reminder!

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Desk space as an extension of the mind!!! May 23, 2007

John Cutler wrote:
... here's what the experts say about those who answered 20+
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/smth08.shtml

Oh yes, I'm definitely cultivating that extra thinking power!

Carla Araújo
Carla Araújo  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hmm, let's see... May 23, 2007

Dictionaries, CDs, CD player, calculator, paper tissues, 3 trays full of paper, chocolate, handcream, printer, calendar, weekly planner, eyedrops, notepads, all kinds of pens and pencils, house phone and mobile phone, post-its, bottle of water...
... sometimes my cat

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many items do you have on your desk right now?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »