Poll: Compared to 2006 your workload so far is:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 11, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Compared to 2006 your workload so far is:".

This poll was originally submitted by Cecilia Civetta

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information,
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Compared to 2006 your workload so far is:".

This poll was originally submitted by Cecilia Civetta

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:30
French to English
+ ...
Blame it on January to March Jun 11, 2007

My workload so far this year has been heavier than 2006 notably due to the first three months of the year, which were really busy this year, whilst they are traditionally (steady but) quieter than the (somewhat hectic) rest of the year.

As in previous years, April through to the present has been full-speed ahead and things don't seem to be slowing down, which I suppose is a good thing.

It will be nice to have an overdue vacation in August!

Cheers,
Joc
... See more
My workload so far this year has been heavier than 2006 notably due to the first three months of the year, which were really busy this year, whilst they are traditionally (steady but) quieter than the (somewhat hectic) rest of the year.

As in previous years, April through to the present has been full-speed ahead and things don't seem to be slowing down, which I suppose is a good thing.

It will be nice to have an overdue vacation in August!

Cheers,
Jocelyne
Collapse

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Translation One Of The Fastest Growing Industries Jun 11, 2007

A good friend of mine recently told me that translation is one of the fastest growing industries in the world, although I hope my workload is heavier this year because people are more and more happy with my work. Have done two book-length translations already this year, not to mention the usual stuff.

[Edited at 2007-06-11 16:42]

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 07:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
My workload is about the same, but I am satisfied with it. Jun 11, 2007

My workload this year is about the same compared to last year. Although I am satisfied with it, I hope to have more work next year. But the most important thing to me is to deliver good quality and on time translations.
Regards,
Fernando

Manal chreidah
Manal chreidah  Identity Verified
German to Arabic
+ ...
happy to be heavier Jun 11, 2007

Hi

my workload is getting heavier and I am happy about that. The most thing which makes me happy, when I get a positive feedback from my clients. I want to learn every thing about translation industry (software and more).

best of luck for u

Marie-Josée Gravel (X)
Marie-Josée Gravel (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:30
French to English
+ ...
First year Jun 11, 2007

Since I was working for a private company last year, I cannot compare. Although I can say that the month of June has been very quiet so far.

I hope it will change in the following weeks!!

Wishing you all (and myself) a lot of fun work!

Marija Stojanovich
Marija Stojanovich  Identity Verified
Serbia
Serbian to English
+ ...
Lighter the first 3 months Jun 11, 2007

...but it was my choice, as I gave birth to my second child last August and wanted a bit more time to adjust to being a mom of two.

Fortunately, as soon as I was ready to come back "with a vengeance" my workload returned to normal (or rather hectic, as my husband would say). And I'm more than glad it did, I must admit!

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 13:30
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
err... Jun 12, 2007

Hi folks,

But don't you think that translation business (and demand for translations) increased just temporarily? Esp. if we have in mind Europe with EU expansion - many new members during a couple of years - and the related demand for these languages (like a lot of papers need to be translated - from vacuum cleaner manuals up to thousands of kilos of EU documents)?

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:30
French to English
+ ...
hi Marius Jun 12, 2007

But don't you think that translation business (and demand for translations) increased just temporarily?

Maybe that's true for language pairs that include the languages of the new bigger EU - but my workload has increased in French to English, too. In my case I can't tell whether it's increased demand in the industry in general, or just that my business is maturing.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Volume much the same - distribution different Jun 12, 2007

Angela Dickson wrote:

But don't you think that translation business (and demand for translations) increased just temporarily?

Maybe that's true for language pairs that include the languages of the new bigger EU - but my workload has increased in French to English, too. In my case I can't tell whether it's increased demand in the industry in general, or just that my business is maturing.

So far this year, the volume of work I've had has been much the same as in recent years, but the proportions from clients have changed considerably. I've acquired several new clients recently, while some who used to send me large volumes of work are now sending less - one has changed management, moved to a new address, and now sends much less work and pays much less promptly, while others who had become dormant have revived and now send me much more work.
Swings and roundabouts, I suppose.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

[Edited at 2007-06-12 08:49]

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Same Jun 12, 2007

Simply because I can't do more than I already do, even if there are more requests, without compromising quality - i.e. I'm fortunate to be fully booked on an ongoing basis.

[Edited at 2007-06-12 08:57]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Precisely Jun 12, 2007

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Simply because I can't do more than I already do, even if there are more requests, without compromising quality - i.e. I'm fortunate to be fully booked on an ongoing basis.

Just curious, but hasn't anyone had a saturation year? I mean, volume CANNOT increase indefinitely. That's just like saying, do you have some years in which there were more than 24 hours in a day?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Compared to 2006 your workload so far is:

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »