Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: On average, how many hours per week do you dedicate to the study of foreign languages?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 28, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "On average, how many hours per week do you dedicate to the study of foreign languages?".

This poll was originally submitted by Enrique

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "On average, how many hours per week do you dedicate to the study of foreign languages?".

This poll was originally submitted by Enrique

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Deschant
Deschant
Local time: 03:20
Other Jun 28, 2007

I have selected "Other" because, living in a country where one of my source languages is spoken, I am always absorbing new nuances of the language, althought I'm not studying it formally.

I also do read extensively in my native and my other source languages and I always learn something, but I don't consider it studying though.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
3-4 hours Jun 28, 2007

I'm studying Spanish for academic reasons.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Roughly 5-6 Jun 28, 2007

Between classes and extra reading.

I considered classes necessary because I now live in a country that speaks what used to be my C language (now a very active B). That meant I had to constantly push up all the rest as a matter of habit.

I'm not counting satellite TV because that's practically a reflex. But all this is really geared to developing good reflex reactions in all working pairs.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto Jun 28, 2007

emoreda wrote:

I have selected "Other" because, living in a country where one of my source languages is spoken, I am always absorbing new nuances of the language, althought I'm not studying it formally.

I also do read extensively in my native and my other source languages and I always learn something, but I don't consider it studying though.

Ditto

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Double ditto! Jun 28, 2007

John Cutler wrote:

emoreda wrote:

Ditto

I don't currently study any *other* languages, but I live, breathe and work in Italy so I'm always learning something new.

Graciela Fondo
Graciela Fondo  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
3-4 hours daily Jun 28, 2007

I've selected this because I'm studying French. My work languages are English and Spanish and as I do love languages, in 2005 I decided to learn a Latin language. So, I chose French.
My classes are are on Fridays, a bit less than 3 hours and I add 1 or 2 more hours to practice and do homework.
It's an activity I do really enjoy a lot!
I wish I had studied it when I was young. However, I think it's never late to learn whatever the subject be.

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 22:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
I hate language studies! Jun 28, 2007

The question refers to time 'dedicated' to the 'study' of foreign languages. It's simple: none.

I don't 'dedicate' time to my source languages - rather, these languages seem to dedicate themselves to seeking me out and trying to trip me up!

I've lived in counrtries where two of my source languages are official (Belgium and Switzerland for French, Guatemala, Honduras and Chile for Spanish) for the past 30 or more years. That's been far more effective as a way of geting
... See more
The question refers to time 'dedicated' to the 'study' of foreign languages. It's simple: none.

I don't 'dedicate' time to my source languages - rather, these languages seem to dedicate themselves to seeking me out and trying to trip me up!

I've lived in counrtries where two of my source languages are official (Belgium and Switzerland for French, Guatemala, Honduras and Chile for Spanish) for the past 30 or more years. That's been far more effective as a way of geting to grips with languages than any classes I ever went to...

Study - wotz that?

MediaMatrix
Collapse

Deschant
Deschant
Surprised Jun 28, 2007

I must confess that I am a bit surprised that more than 50% of the people who answered the poll have chosen the option "None".

Perhaps is it assumed that translators know their foreign languages so well that no further learning is needed? Just wondering...

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've never taken that view Jun 28, 2007

emoreda wrote:

Perhaps is it assumed that translators know their foreign languages so well that no further learning is needed? Just wondering...

It's a continuous process. Sky's the limit!

Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 12:20
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
same here Jun 28, 2007

emoreda wrote:

exactly the same reason for voting 'other', and I also teach one of my source languages, so I'm constantly revising many aspects of the language and learning new nuances... but I've never considered it studying either.

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 23:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Later on... Jun 28, 2007

I hope to begin studying French next year. At present, I keep improving my Spanish and English.
Regards!

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
mm Jun 28, 2007

emoreda wrote:

I must confess that I am a bit surprised that more than 50% of the people who answered the poll have chosen the option "None".

Perhaps some people took the question to mean "study formally", as in, language lessons at an institute, private tutoring, or even personal study but with a fixed schedule of sorts?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
None Jun 28, 2007

I answered none because neither of my languages are "foreign", nor am I studying them or any others.

I would not mind learning others, at least to a reasonable level, but alas, life is too short...

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:20
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
daily Jun 29, 2007

1 hour/day from Monday to Friday.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: On average, how many hours per week do you dedicate to the study of foreign languages?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »