Poll: My proudest achievement so far has to do with my:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 8, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "My proudest achievement so far has to do with my:".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Joanna Rączka
Joanna Rączka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:20
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Sailing around the world Jul 8, 2007

Certainly my greatest achievement is my biggest voyage. And most of all - rounding the Cape of Good Hope. Actually I didn't do the whole circle - I had to quit in Cape Town because of family reasons. Still - taking part in this unusual event - a match racing between two double hander female crews on a fairly small boat - 28 feet is something I can be proud of. You can see some pictures and charts... See more
Certainly my greatest achievement is my biggest voyage. And most of all - rounding the Cape of Good Hope. Actually I didn't do the whole circle - I had to quit in Cape Town because of family reasons. Still - taking part in this unusual event - a match racing between two double hander female crews on a fairly small boat - 28 feet is something I can be proud of. You can see some pictures and charts (unfortunately, the text is only in Polish) at www.mantra28.plCollapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Family Jul 8, 2007

I answered family.

I’ve done a lot of things in life that I’m proud of; some have to do with my work, others with more personal achievements. I’d have to say though, that my crowning glory is my three daughters. Each is different in her own way and my wife and I encourage each of them to work hard and follow their own goals.

Having the chance to nurture another human being and help them on their way in life is something to cherish and be proud of.

P
... See more
I answered family.

I’ve done a lot of things in life that I’m proud of; some have to do with my work, others with more personal achievements. I’d have to say though, that my crowning glory is my three daughters. Each is different in her own way and my wife and I encourage each of them to work hard and follow their own goals.

Having the chance to nurture another human being and help them on their way in life is something to cherish and be proud of.

PS. The pictures of Joanna’s trip around the Cape of Good Hope are really nice.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 00:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nothing quite like it Jul 8, 2007

I feel the same as you do John. I have other accomplishments I am proud of but there is nothing quite as satisfying as to see your children grow up to become wonderful people who are pursuing their own goals. My children are both grown and married and the icing on the cake for me is to see them become parents themselves and in turn raising wonderful children.

As a parent you make many mistakes but to find out that by and large you've done a pretty good job is very very satisfying.

Rocio Barrientos
Rocio Barrientos  Identity Verified
Bolivia
Local time: 02:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
My proudest achievement so far has to do with... Jul 8, 2007

having two beautiful children: Luis Daniel and Stefie

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:20
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I don't see having kids as an "achievement" ... Jul 8, 2007

I view my two daughters as a gift from God, and I raised them the best I could, but I don't know if I would call it an achievement...much of it was by the seat of my pants!

My biggest achievement so far has been putting together my 10-piece band and finally, after more than 20 years, making our first CD.

Amy

[Edited at 2007-07-08 16:50]

Eliza-Anna
Eliza-Anna  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:20
Danish to English
+ ...
Mine Jul 8, 2007

Climbing Snowdon on my own. And coming down:) So far I have thought of that as my greatest achievement! I must say, coming down is far worse than going up. After that I wanted to 'do' higher mountains but I have never got round to it.

Did a some of my linguist 'bit' on the way and learnt some Weæsh - but that is not as good as climbing:)

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with Tina, Rocío and John Jul 8, 2007

There is no doubt that my daughters are a gift from God, but I am also humbly aware of all the work that I've put into raising them, and all the professional and personal things that I've (joyfully) foregone on the way.
It is certainly the most wonderful blessing to watch them grow... and so much fun !!
By the way, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to sail around the Cape of Good Hope, and oh, how I'd love to climb that mountain.

Lucía

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would like to add Jul 8, 2007

That parents do make a difference in how children turn out to be ... it's not only their school, or their friends, or luck.
L

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A gift of God! Jul 9, 2007

Amy Duncan wrote:

I view my two daughters as a gift from God, and I raised them the best I could, but I don't know if I would call it an achievement...much of it was by the seat of my pants!

Amy

[Edited at 2007-07-08 16:50]

I entirely agree with this! We do try our best raising our two sons, but they are creatures of God and their many qualities are very far from being our achievement.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Love and... Jul 9, 2007

Good day,

I answered "Some of the above", but in fact I had in mind "Other", because I was thinking of "love".

I remembered that Nat King Cole song, "Nature Boy", and the following words of that song:

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return"

Yes, I know it sounds maybe a bit "corny", but even The Beatles said it too : "All you need is
... See more
Good day,

I answered "Some of the above", but in fact I had in mind "Other", because I was thinking of "love".

I remembered that Nat King Cole song, "Nature Boy", and the following words of that song:

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return"

Yes, I know it sounds maybe a bit "corny", but even The Beatles said it too : "All you need is love".

OK, enough of Moulin Rouge....

On a more "physical" side, I am also proud of having survived major bone surgery after a triple-fracture in my hip, which was really scary and which I thought would leave me unable to walk normally again. Luckily, I managed to fully recover without any problems (it happened more than 10 years ago).

Best,

Ivette
Collapse

Nicole Blanc
Nicole Blanc  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Family life, definitely Jul 9, 2007

Dear colleagues,

I am 48, I've been married for 26 years and when I look behind - even if my work is very important to me - it is obvious that my family (one extraordinary husband and a loving son) is my greatest achievement. And I regret very much not to have had more children! Children are so great!

Everyday I can find some strength in my family, not to forget my friends! And my professional satisfaction is really nothing compared to my family's love.

Ni
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am 48, I've been married for 26 years and when I look behind - even if my work is very important to me - it is obvious that my family (one extraordinary husband and a loving son) is my greatest achievement. And I regret very much not to have had more children! Children are so great!

Everyday I can find some strength in my family, not to forget my friends! And my professional satisfaction is really nothing compared to my family's love.

Nicole
Collapse

Rocio Barrientos
Rocio Barrientos  Identity Verified
Bolivia
Local time: 02:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
about children.... Jul 9, 2007

I agree with everything that has been said...

Maybe I did not give enough background information; what happened in my case was that I had a lot of trouble getting pregnant; it was a struggle. So, there is where the "achievement part" comes in place.

I do believe children are a gift of God.

I just want to add a bit to my previous answer...

Well it is nice to see so many responses,

Greetings,

See more
I agree with everything that has been said...

Maybe I did not give enough background information; what happened in my case was that I had a lot of trouble getting pregnant; it was a struggle. So, there is where the "achievement part" comes in place.

I do believe children are a gift of God.

I just want to add a bit to my previous answer...

Well it is nice to see so many responses,

Greetings,

Rocío
Collapse

Sam Berner
Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 16:20
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Motivation Jul 10, 2007

My proudest achievement to date is the number of young and not so young people whose lives have changed to better because of something I said, taught or did.

Oh, and being able to put smiles on people's faces.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: My proudest achievement so far has to do with my:

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »