Poll: How did you learn to use the CAT tool program you work with?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 12, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How did you learn to use the CAT tool program you work with?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Netherlands
Local time: 06:30
English to Dutch
Missing options Jul 12, 2007

I choose 'Other', because there's at least two options missing: I was taught how to use one CAT tool during my studies, and taught how to use another one during my internship at a well-known translation multinational.

[Edited at 2007-07-12 14:05]

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 01:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Combination Jul 12, 2007

In my case, a colleague of mine taught me one of the CAT tools. I also learned other at a translation company. Besides, I read manuals, looked for information on the Internet and made some mistakes in order to consolidate my knowlegde.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
A combination of all Jul 12, 2007

I was taught a bit of Trados in the course of my studies, then I learnt futher to use it when I worked as an in-house (i.e., combination of self-teaching and of teaching by fellow translators) and finalized my knowledge by taking all the training courses available through the Internet.
Working there, I also learnt to use other CAT tools, with colleagues and by self-teaching, by reading the manuals, and I also took a full course on Catalyst.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:30
English to Arabic
+ ...
Working with manuals = self-taught, isn't it? Jul 12, 2007

I taught myself to work with Trados, with the help of manuals, so both options apply. I don't think it's really possible to teach yourself to work with Trados without resorting to manuals. That would be called "trial and error".

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Working with manuals = self-taught? Jul 12, 2007

Nesrin wrote:

I taught myself to work with Trados, with the help of manuals, so both options apply. I don't think it's really possible to teach yourself to work with Trados without resorting to manuals. That would be called "trial and error".

I agree. Trados is the kind of tool for which you need to read the manuals or the online help. So these two options should have been one in my opinion.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:30
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Self-taught plus on-the-job training Jul 12, 2007

I bought Trados around late 2003 and taught myself the basics, but seldom used it. Then, in mid 2004, I took a staff position with an agency and learned the more sophisticated features there. That's when I started to understand how incredibly useful CAT software can be.

Taner Göde
Taner Göde
Türkiye
Local time: 07:30
English to Turkish
+ ...
No Frills! Jul 12, 2007

The only program that I use is Word, and only the typewriter and document saving and editing features of Word. I do not use Trados or any other tool because I strongly feel that they shall only be an obstacle for me in translating a text.

I'm sure that I am not alone when I say this, and remembering the days when we had no computers (yes, there were days, years, decades that there were no PCs, young people, do you copy that?) and when we had to use a mechanic or electronic typewrite
... See more
The only program that I use is Word, and only the typewriter and document saving and editing features of Word. I do not use Trados or any other tool because I strongly feel that they shall only be an obstacle for me in translating a text.

I'm sure that I am not alone when I say this, and remembering the days when we had no computers (yes, there were days, years, decades that there were no PCs, young people, do you copy that?) and when we had to use a mechanic or electronic typewriter, we trained our brains to remember most of the fixed sentences and we'd just then fill in the blanks.

My head? Yes, it's swollen.

Taner from Turkey
Collapse

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:30
English to French
+ ...
Mainly self-taught, Jul 13, 2007

and a few tips from a fellow translator. I use Wordfast and love it because it prevents me from forgetting full passages. But I admit that I could learn a lot more in order to take full advantage of it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How did you learn to use the CAT tool program you work with?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »