Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Are you more of a team player or an individualist?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 28, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you more of a team player or an individualist?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Romina Bona
Romina Bona  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:30
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Team player Jul 28, 2007

I'm more of a team player but only once all the members of the team have passed my detailed scrutiny.

Maria Wirén-Malo
Maria Wirén-Malo
Local time: 13:30
English to Swedish
+ ...
It totally depends on the situation Jul 28, 2007

It depends on the job, the persons involved and so on. Each project and situation is different, and so is the way I am that day or moment...

[Edited at 2007-07-28 22:29]

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:30
English to Turkish
+ ...
The I in TEAM Jul 28, 2007

There is this popular t-shirt (or coffee mug, or sticker, whatever...) slogan: There is no I in TEAM. The first time I saw it, I thought what was being intended was rather sarcasm about the concept of a team, that it was saying, "when you are in a team, you lose your identity and everything that makes you whoever you are".

I guess you know my poll answer by now

[Edited at 2007-07-29 12:
... See more
There is this popular t-shirt (or coffee mug, or sticker, whatever...) slogan: There is no I in TEAM. The first time I saw it, I thought what was being intended was rather sarcasm about the concept of a team, that it was saying, "when you are in a team, you lose your identity and everything that makes you whoever you are".

I guess you know my poll answer by now

[Edited at 2007-07-29 12:26]
Collapse

Mike Gogulski
Mike Gogulski  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Slovak to English
+ ...
loaded term of doom Jul 29, 2007

Every time I have been seriously asked this question in the corporate world, it was always time to realize that I had been playing for the wrong team.

"Be a team player" is all too often a codeword for:

a) Hold your nose and "go along to get along" with your boss's boss's latest hare-brained "visionary" idea, no matter how detrimental you can see it will be to the business, or

b) Agree to unquestioningly back whatever big lie management is selling to the he
... See more
Every time I have been seriously asked this question in the corporate world, it was always time to realize that I had been playing for the wrong team.

"Be a team player" is all too often a codeword for:

a) Hold your nose and "go along to get along" with your boss's boss's latest hare-brained "visionary" idea, no matter how detrimental you can see it will be to the business, or

b) Agree to unquestioningly back whatever big lie management is selling to the herd (read: customers, and/or staff) that week.
Collapse

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
50-50: All for one + one for all Jul 29, 2007

Romina Bona wrote:
I'm more of a team player but only once all the members of the team have passed my detailed scrutiny.

100% agree!
Important to feel that the team is worth supporting + the team supports you too.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No "I" in Team Jul 29, 2007

No, there is no "I" in "team", but there are four of them in "individualist". That's me all the way. If I had played American football, I would have been the place kicker. (I hope at least some of you understand the game).

It comes as no surprise to me to see that we tend to be individualists, because by the very nature of our profession our work is a personal effort. Moreover, the intervention of a "team" in producing our kind of work can be highly inefficient and counterproductive
... See more
No, there is no "I" in "team", but there are four of them in "individualist". That's me all the way. If I had played American football, I would have been the place kicker. (I hope at least some of you understand the game).

It comes as no surprise to me to see that we tend to be individualists, because by the very nature of our profession our work is a personal effort. Moreover, the intervention of a "team" in producing our kind of work can be highly inefficient and counterproductive.

It is hard to say whether translation is an art or a science, but I would be inclined to say that in many ways it more resembles an art. The great artists of the world have had to learn the science of technique, but their production has been an individual effort with no team involved, just like ours.

Of course in working for a client we realize that even though we work as individuals in isolation we do support the client's team, and we have to come through for them.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:00
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
100 % team player, provided... Jul 29, 2007

... there is no one else but me in the team!

Translation according to me is an intensely personal affair where your life's experiences, the level of your exposure to the languages under question and yourexpertise in the subject areas are criticially important.

Each person has a different level of competence in each of these areas, making cooperation in translation difficult, if not impossible.

So cooperation in the actual act of translation is not possible,
... See more
... there is no one else but me in the team!

Translation according to me is an intensely personal affair where your life's experiences, the level of your exposure to the languages under question and yourexpertise in the subject areas are criticially important.

Each person has a different level of competence in each of these areas, making cooperation in translation difficult, if not impossible.

So cooperation in the actual act of translation is not possible, though help can be sought from others for clarifying the content, and vetting the translation after it is done.

If large projects are done by several translators, then always a single person must vet the translation for ensuring uniformity of style and terminology.
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other (=individualist plus...) Jul 29, 2007

Individualist and I tend to act as leader/organizer.
It is very difficult for me to be 'just another member' of whatever (this also applies to personal life and explains more than one divorce )

Au

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:30
Italian to Russian
+ ...
50-50 Jul 29, 2007

Is a metal turner an individualist or a team player ? It is impossible to live without help and understanding and good guidance, but it is impossible as much to work under non-stopping comments and suggestions and curiosity.
I am for transparent "membranes", for right to "filter".

Deschant
Deschant
Local time: 11:30
Reply Jul 29, 2007

I've never liked the word "team work" very much. Even at school, I hated it when we were asked to do something in groups, because I and a couple more people ended up doing everything while the others just tried to avoid work.

I think I can work in a team only as long as everybody in the group is assigned different tasks in nature. For example - if there's an author, a translator (me!), a proofreader, an editor and a graphic designer, I'm happy answering the other people's questions
... See more
I've never liked the word "team work" very much. Even at school, I hated it when we were asked to do something in groups, because I and a couple more people ended up doing everything while the others just tried to avoid work.

I think I can work in a team only as long as everybody in the group is assigned different tasks in nature. For example - if there's an author, a translator (me!), a proofreader, an editor and a graphic designer, I'm happy answering the other people's questions and trying to contribute ideas to the final product, but only as long as everybody does his/her part correctly and in time. But if I had to translate a text along with someone else, I would find it difficult, mainly because my timing tends to be very different from anyone else's.

Regards,
Eva
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
50-50 Jul 29, 2007

I'm more efficient as an individual (that also depends on the team ) but I've enjoyed everything I've done in a team. Large volumes and tight turnaround times with an efficient team have been quite enjoyable.

Fiamma Lolli
Fiamma Lolli
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
transparent membranes and connective working groups Jul 29, 2007

Gennady Lapardin wrote:

It is impossible to live without help and understanding and good guidance, but it is impossible as much to work under non-stopping comments and suggestions and curiosity.
I am for transparent "membranes", for right to "filter".

I like your transparent membranes; they look like the "connective" I like to work with, that is more than a "collective".

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
go with fabio and parrot Jul 29, 2007

Team is always good at sharing, all get part of it and there is opportunity for a required skill on call. A team makes the life more sociable. Brandis

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:30
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Two good brains combined can do the work of three. Jul 29, 2007

Being a team player doesn't have anything to do with playing the second fiddle. Nor does being a team player necessarily involve a supervisor.

A team player is a good and EQUAL partner.

Unfortunately the word team has been abused a lot and it has lost its meaning.

[Edited at 2007-07-29 11:27]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you more of a team player or an individualist?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »