Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:04
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Randomly for me too Jul 31, 2007

Are you really so organised that you allot 10 minutes of every hour or an hour of every day to do something interesting, helpful etc but not at the top of the list of priorities?

It really has to be the first thing that goes when faced with deadlines, but it's a great time filler when work is slack - midway between work and pleasure. My problem is that I sometimes forget that I only had 10 spare minutes - half an hour later and it's "Whoops - forgot to make that phone call and now
... See more
Are you really so organised that you allot 10 minutes of every hour or an hour of every day to do something interesting, helpful etc but not at the top of the list of priorities?

It really has to be the first thing that goes when faced with deadlines, but it's a great time filler when work is slack - midway between work and pleasure. My problem is that I sometimes forget that I only had 10 spare minutes - half an hour later and it's "Whoops - forgot to make that phone call and now they've gone to lunch!" It is addictive but work must come first.

As far as criticisms are concerned, I've had a few but they were either (at least in part) justified and not too rude, or from the same few people who just seem to take it all so personally and can't accept others' views - I got upset the first time but now I recognise the names and avoid the messy slanging matches.

Answering Kudoz questions has actually helped me to become a bit more diplomatic in my choice of words which is no doubt a good thing - it's not always a good idea to call a spade a spade after all!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:04
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not the case in Spanish... Jul 31, 2007

Terena Bell wrote:

I used to look at Kudoz quite frequently, but after getting my head bitten off by other users several times in a row, I decided to quit. I have better things to do than to read nasty comments when I'm trying to help people or get help. Users getting defensive and rude has made it where Kudoz is now a last resort for me.

Although there are times when some people can be very passionate about what they find is correct or wrong, I must say that, at least in questions into Spanish, this behaviour is really rare. Most people defend their views intensely, but tend to be polite and even funny at times.

Having said that, I must also say that many great translators no longer spend time in Kudoz because of similar situations in the past, or more frequently because askers sometimes insist in not choosing the option that was more useful (i.e. the option that took longer to write and document).

It is very discouraging to see that you have spent 15-20 minutes preparing a solid, well-documented, experience-based, example-packed reply and then the asker chooses (apparently at random) an option whose only explanation is "That's it", "I would say this", "OK", "Greetings"... :-/

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 13:04
English to Norwegian
+ ...
KudoZ is great! Jul 31, 2007

I am a newcomer - or maybe relatively so by now, with all of three months' experience.
Norwegians are perhaps not usually regarded as the politest people on this planet, but I have never had my head bitten off by anyone so far. I do not count people telling me they disagree with me, or that they think my answer is wrong as head-biting.
I am happy to help if I can, and I am very grateful for the help I have received. Earning points is fun, but nothing more - there are no prizes in thi
... See more
I am a newcomer - or maybe relatively so by now, with all of three months' experience.
Norwegians are perhaps not usually regarded as the politest people on this planet, but I have never had my head bitten off by anyone so far. I do not count people telling me they disagree with me, or that they think my answer is wrong as head-biting.
I am happy to help if I can, and I am very grateful for the help I have received. Earning points is fun, but nothing more - there are no prizes in this game, are there?
When I ask questions it is usually about technical things, and it is much better to have these things explained by someone who knows the stuff, than just look it up in a dictionary.
Does that mean I take on translations beyond my capabilities?
I try to say no when I feel something is too difficult.
I love doing research and finding out about things I did not previously know.
If someone is being consistently rude and unpleasant, there is a blocking option, isn't there? And a moderator in the pair?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: My KudoZ answering activity is:

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »