Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Which antivirus software do you find best?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:39
Portuguese to English
+ ...
That´s why I use Linux. Aug 3, 2007

John Cutler wrote:

I've used Norton, McAfee and Panda. They have all worked fine.

What I really wanted to say was that I find it hard to believe that any translator or any person whose livelihood depends on their computer wouldn't have an antivirus installed and running. The damage a virus can cause could be incalculable for a freelancer!!

Linux is not vulnerable to viruses, malware, spyware, adware...It doesn´t crash, and it costs nothing.
I have all the tools I need (word processing, CAT, etc.), can handle all the file formats my clients need, and I don´t spend a penny on licenses or waste time worrying about viruses and all that other crap and/or dealing with or fighting them off.

I work hard for my money.
I´m not giving it Microsoft for a buggy, insecure, unstable OS that will require that I spend hundreds of dollars protecting it and countless hours (better spent actually working and making money) to maintain it.

I can´t imagine why anyone who´s livelihood depends on their computer would use Windows, quite frankly...

Éric Cléach
Éric Cléach  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:39
Member (2005)
English to French
Free AVs ? Aug 3, 2007

There is something I don't understand: most free AVs are free only for private/non-commercial use.

As professional translators, I think we are not entitled to use these free versions (Avast!, AVG Free Edition). Have I missed something here ?

[Modifié le 2007-08-03 07:04]

Jussi Rosti
Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:39
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
F-Secure Aug 3, 2007

-

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sounds interesting Aug 3, 2007

Anthony Baldwin wrote:

I can´t imagine why anyone who´s livelihood depends on their computer would use Windows, quite frankly...

Think I'll look into it!

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:39
English to Polish
Linux user Aug 3, 2007

As a Linux laptop user I have no use for anti-virus, as they are mostly for Windows OS. My mind and carefulness and my OS are enough to keep me safe

Anni

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have both Norton and Panda Aug 3, 2007

I've never had any bother with Norton on my laptop or my old PC at all in almost 10 years use.
I now have Panda on my PC (I can't remember why, maybe it was a special offer or something) and it works quite well, the only problem is that since I updated it, it won't let me access the net without deactivating my firewall, which means I have an increased risk of infection, although so far no disasters have happened. Although prompt, their online assistance didn't help, because it consisted o
... See more
I've never had any bother with Norton on my laptop or my old PC at all in almost 10 years use.
I now have Panda on my PC (I can't remember why, maybe it was a special offer or something) and it works quite well, the only problem is that since I updated it, it won't let me access the net without deactivating my firewall, which means I have an increased risk of infection, although so far no disasters have happened. Although prompt, their online assistance didn't help, because it consisted of instructions to modify the configuration that I found indecipherable, so for about 2 months I've been operating with no firewall...
Collapse

Diana Cossato (X)
Diana Cossato (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
Exactly my point Aug 4, 2007

Anne Patteet wrote:

Hester Eymers wrote:

My provider keeps me safe from viruses, while the router has a built-in fire wall (which doesn't even work properly when you're also running antivirus software).
And using a Mac you are hardly bothered by any viruses at all.

Best regards,
Hester

I have never even met a virus at all, in about 15 years (computer wise)

... and same number of computer years!

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Avast Aug 7, 2007

Among paying antiviruses, my preference would go to PC Cillin.
But Avast is just as great, for free.

venera17
venera17
English
TREND MICRO Aug 16, 2007

Of all the antivirus softwares I've tried, the best by far are Trend Micro products. In fact, in the latest issue (sept 2007) of Consumer Reports Magazine, Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 was named best internet security suite. According to the magazine, the product "offers fairly inexpensive all-around protection". Here's the complete list from that article:

1. Trend Micro ('PC-cillin') Internet Security 2007 (now referred to as "Trend Micro Internet Security 2007")

... See more
Of all the antivirus softwares I've tried, the best by far are Trend Micro products. In fact, in the latest issue (sept 2007) of Consumer Reports Magazine, Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 was named best internet security suite. According to the magazine, the product "offers fairly inexpensive all-around protection". Here's the complete list from that article:

1. Trend Micro ('PC-cillin') Internet Security 2007 (now referred to as "Trend Micro Internet Security 2007")

2. Check Point ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 7.0

3. McAfee Total Protection 2007

4. McAfee Internet Security Suite 2007

5. Microsoft Live OneCare

6. BitDefender Internet Security 10

7. F-Secure Internet Security 2007

8. Symantec Norton 360

9. Symantec Norton Internet Security 2007

hope this helped :]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Free for personal use Aug 19, 2007

Éric Cléach wrote:
There is something I don't understand: most free AVs are free only for private/non-commercial use.

Clamwin is free for commercial use also. I suspect many translators use the other "free" software tell themselves that as long as its on a home computer, it's fine. Others have told me in the past that they interpret "commercial use" to me "renting it out".

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which antivirus software do you find best?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »