Poll: Do you follow a routine to prepare yourself to translate?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 3, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you follow a routine to prepare yourself to translate?".

This poll was originally submitted by Manuel Martín-Iguacel

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you follow a routine to prepare yourself to translate?".

This poll was originally submitted by Manuel Martín-Iguacel

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Most of the time Aug 3, 2007

In general, I need to prepare my mind to start working.

What I usually do after getting up early in the morning is:
- prepare some tea (or a local "mate cocido") or milk (not coffee),
- grab a fruit and cereal,
- check e-mails, answer the urgent ones,
- a quick check of the newspaper headlines
- a quick check of proz website for new forum posts, new quick poll, etc.

Then I am finally ready. This usually takes between 20-30 minutes.
... See more

I have tried to avoid this in times of heavy work load, but found that this "ritual" is somehow functional with getting into atmosphere to start a good work day.

Happy weekend!

Andrés
Collapse

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:05
English to Croatian
+ ...
WOW Aug 3, 2007

Andres & Leticia Enjuto wrote:

I have tried to avoid this in times of heavy work load, but found that this "ritual" is somehow functional with getting into atmosphere to start a good work day.

Happy weekend!

Andrés

How on earth you're able to do all that in 20-30 minutes?

Well, I guess I'm really getting old.

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Depends what you mean by preparation Aug 3, 2007

Before translating a technical text I like to read it through, if possible go the company's web site, browse the site and other comparable sites, familiarize myself with the basic terminology etc.
But is that really preparation? You could argue that the above was part of the translation process, and that I had already started to translate the text.
And then presumably you don't really want to know that we clean our teeth, check emails, do a few press-ups, feed the dog etc.
So
... See more
Before translating a technical text I like to read it through, if possible go the company's web site, browse the site and other comparable sites, familiarize myself with the basic terminology etc.
But is that really preparation? You could argue that the above was part of the translation process, and that I had already started to translate the text.
And then presumably you don't really want to know that we clean our teeth, check emails, do a few press-ups, feed the dog etc.
So, I guess it's a case of is there anything in particular apart from all this that you do before translating?
I have to say that the most useful thing I have found is simply to set a target. By midday I should have translated so much etc. For me, the act of setting this target effectively plans the job - and stops me spending too long messing about doing other things...
Collapse

Luciana E. Lovatto
Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Not really Aug 3, 2007

but there is something that is a must: be well-rested. If I don’t sleep well, it’s almost impossible to translate one paragraph!

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 22:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Most of the time. Aug 3, 2007

Most of the time, I get up, have breakfast, check my mails and then I prepare myself to begin a new working day. Also, during the day, mostly early in the morning and after having breakfast, I dedicate 1 1/2 hours to study.
Best,
Fernando

Stephanie Ingunza
Stephanie Ingunza
Local time: 20:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
First of all, you have to be well rested Aug 3, 2007

I agree with Luciana. First of all, you have to be well rested. First, I wake up in the morning, make some coffee, have a good breakfast and relax for a moment, read the news, take a shower, etc. Then I prepare the environment for a long day of translation job: comfortable clothing, good music, a cup of coffee, dictionaries, glossaries, etc., needed to do the job!!!

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
to perform as a translator / to do a particular job? Aug 3, 2007

Not clear what you mean, Andreas and others interpreted it as starting their day .... Mark as a sort of pre-translation process:-)

I understood the question in Mark's way. I don't do any pre- work for standard translations, I see the first draft as a familiaristaion with the work (the "reading" phase) and may or may not start looking things up in that stage. Pychologically I feel relaxed once I've made a first draft, even if it's not very good, as I feel I've got a handle on how di
... See more
Not clear what you mean, Andreas and others interpreted it as starting their day .... Mark as a sort of pre-translation process:-)

I understood the question in Mark's way. I don't do any pre- work for standard translations, I see the first draft as a familiaristaion with the work (the "reading" phase) and may or may not start looking things up in that stage. Pychologically I feel relaxed once I've made a first draft, even if it's not very good, as I feel I've got a handle on how difficult it is.

There is also another fairly typical routine which is "avoidance":-) This occurs when there's loads of time and not much work ...and also when the job is going to bore the pants off me ...that's when everything else gets done (or not) before the translation - housework, brushing the animals, leisurely coffees down town, etc etc:-)

[Edited at 2007-08-03 21:57]
Collapse

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 19:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
No routines Aug 4, 2007

I don't have any special routine before start translating in the morning. It is just a matter of deciding whether I have to prepare my university classes (make and/or grade exams, check homework, etc.), do some errands or just sit down and translate.

Can I call routine checking email first thing in the morning?

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 20:05
English to Russian
+ ...
I was born ready:-) Aug 4, 2007

Actually, I make a point NOT to browse anything at all - I might get sucked it and lose precious time when the mind is fresh, whatever the time of the day might be... When there are no envelope symbols in the bottom corner, I just start working. I'd go to Proz or other distractions:-) for a break, but not for starters...

Coffee prepares me for life, not for traanslation:-)

Morning email check happens way before I start translation.

[Edited at 2007-08-04 15:19]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you follow a routine to prepare yourself to translate?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »