Poll: The last time I did no work-related activity was:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 4, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "The last time I did no work-related activity was:".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Ma. Fernanda Blesa
Ma. Fernanda Blesa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:42
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
today actually Aug 5, 2007

I exercise everyday but Sundays, no exceptions. I also go out at least once a week, usually Fri. or Sat. That, however, does not mean I'm not overworked at the moment...

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 11:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
two days ago Aug 5, 2007

I had to take my mother to visit some of her friends. Despite, that meant I had to work until 5:00 a.m. that night!!!

Manal chreidah
Manal chreidah  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:42
German to Arabic
+ ...
went out with my kids Aug 5, 2007

Hi every body,

I took my kids out yesterday, Saturday. There was something special for kids in a neighbour city, and we stayed the whole day outside. I did my work at night after they went to bed.

best regards

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 12:42
German to English
+ ...
Harry Potter Aug 5, 2007

The last time I had a full day off was the day Harry Potter came out, about 2 weeks ago, and I read all day.

I try to do one "time out" activity each day, whether that's a bit of creative writing, a walk on the beach, strawberry picking (yesterday) or helping my friend with her horses. Today's activity will be a few hours of cooking - roast chicken, soup and curry for the freezer. I find it relaxing!

Some
... See more
The last time I had a full day off was the day Harry Potter came out, about 2 weeks ago, and I read all day.

I try to do one "time out" activity each day, whether that's a bit of creative writing, a walk on the beach, strawberry picking (yesterday) or helping my friend with her horses. Today's activity will be a few hours of cooking - roast chicken, soup and curry for the freezer. I find it relaxing!

Sometimes, though, the "time out" only stretches to doing the washing up or a load of laundry!!!!

[Edited at 2007-08-05 10:45]
Collapse

Luciana E. Lovatto
Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Every day Aug 6, 2007

I need to do a no work-related activity, such as going to the gym, taking some dance class, swimming or simply visiting some friends. I think that it helps me to clear my mind.

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 14:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Today Aug 6, 2007

I went with my girlfriend and her sister to a park to drink some mates and enjoy the beautiful day that we had.
Regards!

[Editado a las 2007-08-06 01:03]

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
24/7 Aug 6, 2007

Yesterday was the first day that I didn’t work in I don’t know how long. I really don’t need to work so much, but I have that ingrained freelancer’s fear of saying no to anyone who offers me work. So what happens? I find my self working practically 7 days a week, week after week. Sometimes, I feel like I’m on a merry-go-round and can’t jump off…

Ieva Jirgensone
Ieva Jirgensone
German to Latvian
+ ...
other Aug 6, 2007

now - answering polls is not really part of my duties;)

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:42
French to Portuguese
+ ...
2 days ago Aug 6, 2007

Because I took this weekend off to stay with my family.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
freAky Aug 6, 2007

Lately I´ve been working around the clock...18 hour days...It´s been crazy (and the $$ has been good). It´s been like this for months, and I had begun to feel a little burnt out.
But, I finally managed to take this weekend off and take the Mrs. out to celebrate her birthday with churrascos and dancing foró.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
work-a-holic Aug 6, 2007

John Cutler wrote:

Yesterday was the first day that I didn’t work in I don’t know how long. I really don’t need to work so much, but I have that ingrained freelancer’s fear of saying no to anyone who offers me work. So what happens? I find my self working practically 7 days a week, week after week. Sometimes, I feel like I’m on a merry-go-round and can’t jump off…

I completely identify with this statement.
If there´s work to be had, I´m working.
Sometimes 12, 15, even 18 hours a day, 7 days a week...
I often accept crazy amounts of work, thinking, ¨what if there´s no work next week/month/etc.?¨
Fortunately, I´ve gone months without any lack of work, but, I´m starting to get tired...

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Yesterday was work free for me. Aug 6, 2007

Yesterday, Sunday, was a day of rest on which I hardly even sat down at the computer to look at e-mail. I identify with the other comments on accepting large amounts of work to ensure being permanently employed. After all, if we don't constantly accept work and look for new work, who will do it for us?

Nevertheless, there are limits to working. After a point, money doesn't justify long work days because in the end, the translator has no time to enjoy what he or she has earned
... See more
Yesterday, Sunday, was a day of rest on which I hardly even sat down at the computer to look at e-mail. I identify with the other comments on accepting large amounts of work to ensure being permanently employed. After all, if we don't constantly accept work and look for new work, who will do it for us?

Nevertheless, there are limits to working. After a point, money doesn't justify long work days because in the end, the translator has no time to enjoy what he or she has earned.

My advice is to set a limit of words per week and try to stick to it. You can always tell the agency that you can accept 5000 words but not the whole job, or if offered more than one file to translate, accept one or two of them instead of the whole batch.

Reed
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: The last time I did no work-related activity was:

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »