Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What gives you the greatest "high" as a translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 14, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What gives you the greatest "high" as a translator?".

This poll was originally submitted by John Cutler

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more infor
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What gives you the greatest "high" as a translator?".

This poll was originally submitted by John Cutler

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Ali Al awadi
Ali Al awadi  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Arabic
+ ...
Getting one's work published Aug 14, 2007

I believe that overcoming a difficult linguistic problem, learning something new be it a word, idiom or a grammatical item, delivering a huge arduous assignment and thus getting paid on time are not but a few things basically associated with any linguist's hectic life, and do happen to me on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.
But for a translator to have his/her work published every now and then, it would surely turn all thumbs up and give the translator the greatest "high". This is one of
... See more
I believe that overcoming a difficult linguistic problem, learning something new be it a word, idiom or a grammatical item, delivering a huge arduous assignment and thus getting paid on time are not but a few things basically associated with any linguist's hectic life, and do happen to me on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.
But for a translator to have his/her work published every now and then, it would surely turn all thumbs up and give the translator the greatest "high". This is one of the surest successful marketing strategies.
Collapse

Beatriz Galiano (X)
Beatriz Galiano (X)
Argentina
Local time: 22:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
getting it Aug 14, 2007

When translating I find the most satisfaction when I am able to get to the right word or phrase, second comes the pleasure of finishing my work before the deadline.

[Edited at 2007-08-14 16:41]

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:02
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
compliments from the client Aug 14, 2007

What really gives me "a kick" is receiving compliments from the client. I work for agencies and I love it when their clients send compliments for the translation.
Yesterday was one of those days: "first of all my best compliments to the translator, the work is of excellent quality and I have to admit that the text was not an easy one!!"

Well, it really gives me an energy burst. Unfortunately it doesn't happen a lot...

Laura

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 06:32
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Appreciation Aug 14, 2007

It gives me immense pride, satisfaction and pleasure, when my clients appreciate my work.

Bruno Scokaert
Bruno Scokaert  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to French
+ ...
All together! Aug 14, 2007

(replying quickly because I've been called for the meal!)

Really, I can't dissociate these elements! All of these are nice together... Well maybe it's because I'm still a newbie and later I will know?

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

exactly the same Aug 14, 2007

Laura Gentili wrote:

What really gives me "a kick" is receiving compliments from the client. I work for agencies and I love it when their clients send compliments for the translation.
Yesterday was one of those days: "first of all my best compliments to the translator, the work is of excellent quality and I have to admit that the text was not an easy one!!"

Well, it really gives me an energy burst. Unfortunately it doesn't happen a lot...

Laura

Oh yes, Laura, I'm with you.

This is the best part of our job

M.

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 20:02
German to English
+ ...
Receiving Positive Feedback Aug 14, 2007

Laura Gentili wrote:

Laura

Me too, definitely. It's so nice to get positive feedback, especially when you've really put 150% into a project. Some agencies really make a point of passing on that type of compliment/comment, which is great.

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 21:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
An empty in-tray at 17 hours on Friday... Aug 14, 2007

... always provided that it's filled up again by 12 hours on the following Monday.

MediaMatrix

Silvina Matheu
Silvina Matheu  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other Aug 14, 2007

I find two moments very rewarding: one when I get the right version -or at least the one I like- when translating a particularly difficult text; and the other when I receive positive feedback from a client/agency, especially when it comes with congratulations, as it happened twice last week. I had a great weekend after that

S

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Appreciation and the sense of being useful Aug 14, 2007

Appreciation always means that the client has actually read/used my work, not stored it on the 7th shelf of the 13th row ...
And I had direct clients talking like "you know, I need a very accurate translation of the draft contract as I have a gut feeling something smells in it ..." Usually it did And if I pointed out where to look for tricky clauses, the thanks were profuse.

Arianna Tremayne
Arianna Tremayne  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:02
German to English
+ ...
Other Aug 14, 2007

Silvina Matheu wrote:

I find two moments very rewarding: one when I get the right version -or at least the one I like- when translating a particularly difficult text;...

S

I agree: It is a personal satisfaction when I know I have translated a project well. When it reads well after the final QA check.

And:

When I have learned something new or took on something new and it turned out alright.

Best,

Arianna

David Earl
David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:02
German to English
And, out of left field... Aug 14, 2007

What gives me a kick is working on a text which has some social responsibility/significance to it. A submission for an award for establishing community centers in a developing country or a keynote speech about how giving to the community had affected the speaker's life.

Being a jaded "glorified typist"/computer consultant, it's nice to see people helping each other instead of writing contracts.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely learning Aug 14, 2007

I love what I do because I learn something new with every assignment.

Given the fields I work on 90% of the time, I currently have more information regarding medical/scientific breakthroughs than many practising physicians who don't speak English (unlucky for them, but lucky for me or I'd be out of work)... and I am privy to information that very few people ever get to access. That in itself is exhilarating for me.

The icing on the cake? I get paid for it.
... See more
I love what I do because I learn something new with every assignment.

Given the fields I work on 90% of the time, I currently have more information regarding medical/scientific breakthroughs than many practising physicians who don't speak English (unlucky for them, but lucky for me or I'd be out of work)... and I am privy to information that very few people ever get to access. That in itself is exhilarating for me.

The icing on the cake? I get paid for it.

How many people can say that they are paid to learn?

Greetings!

[Edited at 2007-08-14 21:55]
Collapse

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Getting paid for doing something that more than a job, is a great passion! Aug 14, 2007

- Making a living out of a real treat!

- Having clients who come back to you, and you only, because they love your work. Feeling that people trust you to improve their originals to the point of sending you "the main idea for you to compose something professional"!

- Learning something new with each assignment!

- Ocassionally participating in large, interesting projects with one or several efficient colleagues!

In sum, feeling blessed, free, and
... See more
- Making a living out of a real treat!

- Having clients who come back to you, and you only, because they love your work. Feeling that people trust you to improve their originals to the point of sending you "the main idea for you to compose something professional"!

- Learning something new with each assignment!

- Ocassionally participating in large, interesting projects with one or several efficient colleagues!

In sum, feeling blessed, free, and happy as can be!!

Hope all of you enjoy translating as much as I do

Cheers,
mew
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What gives you the greatest "high" as a translator?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »