Poll: Have you grown professionally in the past few years?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 21:37
SITE STAFF
Aug 20, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you grown professionally in the past few years?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tricks of the trade Aug 20, 2007

I’m sure I’ve grown professionally and learned many new things in the past few years. One example would be that I had a good command of English grammar when I started translating, but have learned so much more since the beginning. There’s nothing like a reviser or client asking you, “Why did you say it like that?” to get one to bone up on the finer points. I once had to explain my usage of commas to one client. She was happy with my explanation but, needless to say, I did an in-depth self-study on them shortly thereafter. That’s given me more confidence.

I’ve also learned some of the “tricks of the trade” over the years. I was recently asked to translate a list of words with little or no context. Having learned from hard experience that each word could involve a huge amount of time consuming research, I offered to do the job charging for my time (not by the word). The service provider didn’t accept my offer, but what the heck. Who wants to work for 0.0000000005 cents a word anyway?

Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 01:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely... Aug 20, 2007

I grew a lot professionally over the past few years. And I know that I will keep growing professionally in the next years. We never stop learning new things, languages and grammatical rules change a lot and we have to be up to date in that aspect.
Have a nice day!
Fernando

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:37
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, because ... Aug 20, 2007

... as soon as I feel I'm stagnating or in a rut for any length of time, I take a bit of time off to consider new avenues, new challenges.

If the day ever arrives that I can't come up with ideas to continue growing professionally, I'll stop translating.

Life is too short to feel that way about anything.

Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 22:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Constantly Aug 20, 2007

Regarding my university studies, I got my Master's Degree.
As a translator, I always lean new isses related to grammar, writing and vocabulary. Then, I am constantly doing research on the projects I translate, which means lots of new knowledge in very different areas. Definitely, being a translator has given me the opportunity to grow professionally.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Certainly Aug 20, 2007

That's what's great about this job: it's hard to get bored. Every project is like a mini-seminar on a different topic.

Ali Al awadi  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 07:37
English to Arabic
+ ...
Grown and growing Aug 20, 2007

One thing's for sure- now I am not how I was a few years ago. This is a healthy sign of professionalism.
I have definitely grown professionally since I came up against my first translation project. Every project was a separate full experience that has added much to my linguistic and professional repository (so to speak). I feel myself growing and will keep growing. Once the linguistic/professional growth grinds to a halt, one should embark upon another profession by then.

vicksy nurhayati  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 11:37
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Surely... Aug 21, 2007

Since the day I began with this job, I'm surely growing profesionally in many aspects. And I must say that my knowledges for various things are really growing, as we must prepare our self to translate (almost) anything in this world !

Good day to all of you and happy translation.

Mohsin Alabdali  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 07:37
English to Arabic
+ ...
Absolutly! Aug 21, 2007

I started translation as a hobby in high school back in 1963 (the time of the Kennedy assaissination!) and since I took up translation as a profession forty years ago I feel I have never stopped growing professionally.

In my book a translator who feels he or she is not growing professionally is not worth his salt as a translator.

Every translation job offers an opportunity for professional growth to an interested translator. To my mind, there is no such thing as a boring transltion job. Each tranlstion job is not only a challenging and absorbing puzzle but also a source of additional information that expands my knowedge base which is the springboard for my prefessional growth.

Rocio Barrientos  Identity Verified
Bolivia
Local time: 00:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree 100% Aug 21, 2007

Steven Capsuto wrote:

That's what's great about this job: it's hard to get bored. Every project is like a mini-seminar on a different topic.

Before all the "continuous learning" theory came into discussion, translators were applying it daily

I believe we are a bit of Jacks' and Jills' of all trades
and resourceful researchers, too

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you grown professionally in the past few years?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search