https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/81859-poll%3A_can_you_imagine_your_professional_life_without_prozcom.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Can you imagine your professional life without ProZ.com?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 22, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Can you imagine your professional life without ProZ.com?".

This poll was originally submitted by Manuel Martín-Iguacel

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run.
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Can you imagine your professional life without ProZ.com?".

This poll was originally submitted by Manuel Martín-Iguacel

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:50
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No way!!! Aug 22, 2007

95% of my jobs come from PROZ; without PROZ I wouldn't have a professional life.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:50
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I also answered "No way!" Aug 22, 2007

I have met some of my clients through proz.com. However, I couldn't imagine handling the terminology if I were working in isolation.

Astrid

Le Boulaire Ludmila
Le Boulaire Ludmila  Identity Verified
France
French to Russian
+ ...
No way! Aug 22, 2007

About 80% of my jobs come through ProZ.com. Each morning I go through the recent forum posts, the polls etc. I think ProZ.com is quite important especially for those who just start working as a professional translator.

Lubain Masum
Lubain Masum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:50
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Yes But Aug 22, 2007

I have been working as a translator long before I discovered proz.com by searching internet. It is true that I got some regular and many irregular clients who contacted me via proz.com and they generate a good business for me. However, I also have a regular and steady client base in my local market and they provide me significant amount of translation jobs every month. So in my case, proz.com helped me flourish my business internationally but my local jobs still matter to me.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
got my foot in the door Aug 22, 2007

Proz really got my foot in the door, so to speak, really got my career rolling, in more ways than one.
For a long time, the vast majority of my work came through proz.
Even now, probably about half of my work still comes through proz.
I also make use of the various resources that my membership affords me, such as the webhosting for my site, kudoz and term searches, the blueboard. The blueboard alone might make my membership worth the few bucks, or the hosting, or the reaction
... See more
Proz really got my foot in the door, so to speak, really got my career rolling, in more ways than one.
For a long time, the vast majority of my work came through proz.
Even now, probably about half of my work still comes through proz.
I also make use of the various resources that my membership affords me, such as the webhosting for my site, kudoz and term searches, the blueboard. The blueboard alone might make my membership worth the few bucks, or the hosting, or the reaction with other professionals here from whom I have learned a great deal.
I recommend proz to anyone trying to get a start in the business, for sure.
Collapse

Leticia Klemetz, CT
Leticia Klemetz, CT  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
no, really... Aug 22, 2007

I answered "yes, but" thinking it would be much harder (much!) to do terminology research without the whole KudoZ system. Also thinking it would be much more boring. But keeping in mind how much I use the Blue Board, I think I'd better answer "No way!"
Please stay around! Life without ProZ would be dark and gloomy!

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:50
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No way! Aug 22, 2007

I mean, before I knew about ProZ I was translating, but knowing about it has been VERY helpful, especially KudoZ, which I don't at all believe is mostly for beginners, but is useful for everyone, no matter how much experience you have, especially if you translate a variety of subjects.

Also, some clients have found me through my ProZ profile.

I'm glad this poll was created because it gives me a chance to say how grateful I am to all the colleagues who have helped me out
... See more
I mean, before I knew about ProZ I was translating, but knowing about it has been VERY helpful, especially KudoZ, which I don't at all believe is mostly for beginners, but is useful for everyone, no matter how much experience you have, especially if you translate a variety of subjects.

Also, some clients have found me through my ProZ profile.

I'm glad this poll was created because it gives me a chance to say how grateful I am to all the colleagues who have helped me out of numerous jams on ProZ!

Amy
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 03:50
English to Russian
+ ...
Professional - yes, of course, but... Aug 22, 2007

The fora and new friends from all over the world - priceless!!! I think I added at least 10 countries to my list of places where I can expect to have a nice cup of coffee with yet another interesting person.

janen
janen
Local time: 20:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree with Amy Aug 22, 2007

I basically agree with everything Amy said.
I find KudoZ invaluable too. I don't post a lot of questions but I search past questions all the time.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:50
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes - but it's such fun with Proz Aug 22, 2007

Yes, I've been translating for decades and only discovered ProZ about a year ago, but I'm so glad I did. It's extremely helpful and informative - and above all, it's such fun!
Thank you for being, Proz.
Jenny.

Luciana E. Lovatto
Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
I also speak out: No way!!! Aug 22, 2007

There is a saying that “all roads lead to Rome”. I think that in our profession “all roads lead to Proz.”

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Way, José!!! Aug 22, 2007

ProZ is the best tool a translator can have.

All the support we have found through this site - articles, polls, powwows, kudoz, networking, the blueboard, getting to know other translators and that feeling that you're not all by yourself in front of the computer, etc. is invaluable.

We also recommend ProZ to newbies and experienced translators!

Cheers!

Andrés & Letty

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
With Irene Aug 22, 2007

IreneN wrote:

The fora and new friends from all over the world - priceless!!!

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 05:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
No, No, No... Aug 23, 2007

Proz allowed me to discover new tools and information that I haven’t found before. Needless to say, Proz is the best resource where you will find anything. I got my first job contact thanks to this site, so I am very grateful. And I hope to find new ones...
Best,
Fernando

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Can you imagine your professional life without ProZ.com?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »