Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What keeps me going on a long, difficult project is...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 06:34
SITE STAFF
Aug 24, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What keeps me going on a long, difficult project is...".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:34
English to German
+ ...
What keeps me going... Aug 24, 2007

... is the fact that I promised to finish the job, no matter how unpleasant it turns out to be.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:34
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other Aug 24, 2007

I didn't like legal texts much before, but then I started translating lots of them and I got really interested. So it's more my interest to know more about a subject what makes me continue working on a difficult translation.

Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:34
English to Spanish
Love for my profession, learning and responsibility! Aug 24, 2007

To my mind, the difficult and endless projects make my work more rewarding. I love learning new things; I get bored translating on the same topics or articles full of repetitive sentences. The challenge that I face when I have to make a lot of research work is amazing!!!
Apart from that, I have the responsibility to finish my work no matter what: that is one of the main aspects that keep me going.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
$$$$ Aug 24, 2007

Ok, call me a crass capitalist if you want, but I answered “the thought of the money”.

In my defence, I do have to state that I have 3 children. Perhaps if they were to offer to stop eating, my motivation for working would change...

On the other hand, I can honestly say that if I didn’t love translating, I would certainly have found something else to do a long time ago.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Will power Aug 24, 2007

... the slavery of a good track record

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:34
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Other Aug 24, 2007

Taking frequent breaks!

Amy

Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

English to Spanish
+ ...
A mixture of things... Aug 24, 2007

First of all, when I take a job, I have the responsibility of finishing it; then it is the new things I will learn, except when the subject is not sooo interesting. Finally, it is the money; we need it to pay the bills, food, books, material, technology, among other things.

Fernando

Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:34
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
Reputation/money Aug 24, 2007

It's a combination of many things but the primary motivating factors are the money and maintaining my reputation.

Heidi C  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other: several of the above Aug 24, 2007

also, depending on the text.

Always: caffeine and adrenaline.

When the text is awful, boring and badly written in a subject I regret having accepted, the money. (In these cases, I am constantly counting the words and calculating how much money I am making... that is what mostly keeps me going).

In other cases (my favorite), my love for the profession and the challenge.

Also always: the commitment, responsibility, my word and reputation...

[Edited at 2007-08-24 19:29]

Beatriz Galiano
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
The Challenge Aug 24, 2007

When it comes to translating it's the challenge, the need to produce a quality product;as for teaching and interpreting which are more social activities, it has more to do with showing how resourceful and reliable I can be.

By the way, I never mention money coz it's never enough...

[Edited at 2007-08-24 22:07]

Juan Arturo Carbajal Manjarrez
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Several factors. Aug 24, 2007

For me, it's a mixture of several factors: Caffeine (I love coffee), the work itself (when it is interesting; sometimes the document is very poorly written and can be really frustrating and boring), the money ($$$), and the satisfaction that I'm doing something worthwhile.

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
€€€€€ Aug 25, 2007

To make my reputation even worse -so that John can feel better- I get two types of long projects: one I do for money, the other for fame

xxxIreneN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
€$€$€$€$!!!:-) Aug 25, 2007

In fact, should be "all the money I'll spend shopping":-)

Catherine Shepherd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Caffeine + commitment Aug 25, 2007

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

... is the fact that I promised to finish the job, no matter how unpleasant it turns out to be.

I agree with Sonja, this (plus a good dose of caffeine) is what keeps me going. (Then, obviously, the money is a great incentive!!).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What keeps me going on a long, difficult project is...

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search