https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/82699-poll%3A_when_im_sick_i.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: When I'm sick I...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 31, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When I'm sick I...".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 19:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask for an extended deadline... Aug 31, 2007

If I am sick, I ask for an extended deadline, but if that is not possible, I ask a colleague for help.

Have a nice day!

Fernando

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reliable colleagues Aug 31, 2007

When I see I will not be able to meet a deadline, I call one or more reliable colleagues and ask for help.

I can always proofread their work. What's the sense of adding additional strain to a difficult situation?

Of course, if I know my client can give me some extra time to complete the assignment, I do not hesitate to ask for an extension. Otherwise I pass the job over after telling the client. In my humble opinion, this is the only responsible way to react.
... See more
When I see I will not be able to meet a deadline, I call one or more reliable colleagues and ask for help.

I can always proofread their work. What's the sense of adding additional strain to a difficult situation?

Of course, if I know my client can give me some extra time to complete the assignment, I do not hesitate to ask for an extension. Otherwise I pass the job over after telling the client. In my humble opinion, this is the only responsible way to react.

Contingency planning is of the utmost importance in every business

Cheers,
mew

[Edited at 2007-08-31 16:10]
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 17:33
English to Russian
+ ...
Same puzzle Aug 31, 2007

I have already asked it once...

I do stop working for sure, but not by putting a pillow over my head and disconnecting from the world of living BEFORE I exercise some of the other options.

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:33
English to Slovak
+ ...
Something different Aug 31, 2007

Couple of weeks ago, I was attacked on Friday night and taken to hospital. I had three projects to finish by Monday. My mobile died on Saturday, so I couldn't contact anybody. When I was finally released from hospital on Monaday lunchtime still aching all over, I went straight home, switched my laptop on and started to work.
I checked my e-mails between two projects and was very suprised by some I'd received that morning. Two of them very nice and polite just wondering what's happening an
... See more
Couple of weeks ago, I was attacked on Friday night and taken to hospital. I had three projects to finish by Monday. My mobile died on Saturday, so I couldn't contact anybody. When I was finally released from hospital on Monaday lunchtime still aching all over, I went straight home, switched my laptop on and started to work.
I checked my e-mails between two projects and was very suprised by some I'd received that morning. Two of them very nice and polite just wondering what's happening and three (from the same agency) very unprofessional with the third one saying: "We don't need your translation. We are looking for somebody else". So, since then, when I'm sick, I stop working. I'm not gonna drop dead, just to keep my clients happy.
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Degrees of sickness Aug 31, 2007

Rad Graban wrote:

Couple of weeks ago, I was attacked on Friday night and taken to hospital.

How horrible! How are you doing now, Rad?

I guess it's a matter of how sick one is. If I'm too sick to think straight, I notify my clients and ask how they want to proceed. Otherwise, I usually keep chugging along and work.

Ieva Jirgensone
Ieva Jirgensone
Local time: 00:33
German to Latvian
+ ...
other Aug 31, 2007

depends on the situation (seriousness of the sickness, difficulty of the text etc.) - mostly "work anyway" or "stop working".

Luciana E. Lovatto
Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
I agree with Steven Aug 31, 2007

I think it’s matter of how sick you are. If you get just a cold, you can work without any problem. It happened to me once that I had to deliver a rush and I started to feel sick at evening, so I couldn’t finish my work. The following day, I got up and ask for extra time. There was no problem and I could finish my translation. I know that sometimes the deadlines are very strict and there is no room for an extended delivery. What’s more, sometimes you can’t even contact the client to expla... See more
I think it’s matter of how sick you are. If you get just a cold, you can work without any problem. It happened to me once that I had to deliver a rush and I started to feel sick at evening, so I couldn’t finish my work. The following day, I got up and ask for extra time. There was no problem and I could finish my translation. I know that sometimes the deadlines are very strict and there is no room for an extended delivery. What’s more, sometimes you can’t even contact the client to explain the situation, because it’s midnight or weekend. In that case, I would ask a very reliable colleague to do the work for me.
Have a nice weekend
Luciana

[Edited at 2007-08-31 17:59]

[Edited at 2007-08-31 18:00]
Collapse

Ali Al awadi
Ali Al awadi  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Arabic
+ ...
It depends! Aug 31, 2007

Rad Graban wrote:

"We don't need your translation. We are looking for somebody else".

Actually, it is a quite non-professional impulsive reply!

When I get pressed or overloaded by both a hectic translation schedule and a sort of general malaise, I do prefer switching to a general project in a bid to vent the stress of the highly specialized legal and/or technical topics. That is conditioned by a very good time management and sound organization of my deadl
... See more
Rad Graban wrote:

"We don't need your translation. We are looking for somebody else".

Actually, it is a quite non-professional impulsive reply!

When I get pressed or overloaded by both a hectic translation schedule and a sort of general malaise, I do prefer switching to a general project in a bid to vent the stress of the highly specialized legal and/or technical topics. That is conditioned by a very good time management and sound organization of my deadline schedule. More often than not, a schedule is not that flexible. However, it is the August slump period which makes me feel sick. I like vacationing in translation.

[Edited at 2007-08-31 18:50]
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I couldn't really answer the poll properly Aug 31, 2007

I have so little experience of being sick. I did at one time get the odd migraine or two, but I have meanwhile found something that nips those in the bud before they start. I guess I couldn't work with toothache, but the dentist is also only 5 minutes away by foot, and about 2 minutes by bike.

Astrid

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends on how ill... Aug 31, 2007

If I have a common cold, I tend to have some hot honey and lemon, maybe an aspirin and slog on.

My big health fear would be more along the lines of an attack of sciatica. I get one every couple of years. It means no work at all and an immediate juggling of the books to reach the end of the month

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 19:33
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Fortunately, my best clients do have understanding Aug 31, 2007

I have felt SICK-AND-TIRED two or three times. I have worked like mad... until I almost cannot go on. Then I told my client, he analyzed the situation, and answered back with an OK for an extended deadline. Guess what happened? My very last spot of available energy suddenly disappeared and I went to bed! To recover, gather energies, and finish the project "in time".

Believe me: those clients are worth their weight in gold. They have understanding! They know I am no abuser. They get
... See more
I have felt SICK-AND-TIRED two or three times. I have worked like mad... until I almost cannot go on. Then I told my client, he analyzed the situation, and answered back with an OK for an extended deadline. Guess what happened? My very last spot of available energy suddenly disappeared and I went to bed! To recover, gather energies, and finish the project "in time".

Believe me: those clients are worth their weight in gold. They have understanding! They know I am no abuser. They get the feeling of reality: I'm telling the whole truth.
Collapse

janen
janen
Local time: 10:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mix of factors Sep 1, 2007

I agree that it depends on the degree of illness and the deadlines. I have never actually had to ask for an extension or help due to illness. I have sometimes gone to bed for a rest, but still with time to get my jobs finished, so I counted that as work anyway.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends... Sep 1, 2007

If it's a cold or even something slightly more uncomfortable with mild fever (38,5ºC / 101ºF), I modifiy my schedule (i.e., I start working at 11am instead of 8:30am) so that I can avoid extremely cold temperatures but keep on working. Why? Because as a freelancer it is extremely hard to get a paid sick leave.

However, some time ago I felt the mother of all headaches (my biggest health scare to date), ended up in the ER, had a CAT scan + spinal tap + full blood workup and was inte
... See more
If it's a cold or even something slightly more uncomfortable with mild fever (38,5ºC / 101ºF), I modifiy my schedule (i.e., I start working at 11am instead of 8:30am) so that I can avoid extremely cold temperatures but keep on working. Why? Because as a freelancer it is extremely hard to get a paid sick leave.

However, some time ago I felt the mother of all headaches (my biggest health scare to date), ended up in the ER, had a CAT scan + spinal tap + full blood workup and was interned ... the whole works**. Obviously, I asked my brother to phone my clients and let them know that I was temporarily out of the game and why.

Given that most of them (local clients) are MDs, nurses, and/or pharmaceutical company representatives, they understood that the situation was complicated and phoned me a couple of days later to ask how I felt. Some even pulled some strings at the clinic to ensure I was getting proper care and gave me (for free) the meds I was prescribed!!!:lol:

Andrea

**(btw, it turned out that the scare had nothing to do with my head)
Collapse

Depends how sick I am ...... Sep 1, 2007

I agree with all answers posted as "depends" (for that matter I don't think this is a good question, however, as answer is so obvious).
But here's my little thoughts.

Again, it all depends on how my physical conditions affecting my work morale and my professional pride.
After I weighed these, I may choose not to take the risk.
So here's my formula.

Pains > job responsibility = I stop working and seek for other remedies (e.g. turn to reliable collea
... See more
I agree with all answers posted as "depends" (for that matter I don't think this is a good question, however, as answer is so obvious).
But here's my little thoughts.

Again, it all depends on how my physical conditions affecting my work morale and my professional pride.
After I weighed these, I may choose not to take the risk.
So here's my formula.

Pains > job responsibility = I stop working and seek for other remedies (e.g. turn to reliable colleague, ask for extention of deadline, etc).
Job responsibility > pains = I continue start to finish

For us freelancers, our health should be our major concern.

[Edited at 2007-09-01 18:47]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When I'm sick I...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »