https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/83365-poll%3A_do_you_enjoy_the_company_of_a_pet_while_you_work.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you enjoy the company of a pet while you work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 8, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you enjoy the company of a pet while you work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Rodrigo Mencía

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more info
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you enjoy the company of a pet while you work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Rodrigo Mencía

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 23:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not while I work! Sep 9, 2007

I do have two dogs, and I do enjoy their company, but not while I work! We live in the tropics and our dogs stay outdoors.

On the other hand, I often enjoy the antics of a lizard or two as they leap around, on and near my desk, eating mosquitoes and setting off my wind chimes. But I don't quite count them as pets.

Jane

Pamela Peralta
Pamela Peralta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 22:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, a dog Sep 9, 2007

Her name is Maggie. When I'm working she's either looking out the balcony or sleeping. Then, when it's time for a break, I throw her ball and while she goes to get it, I hide. She's good at finding me. She loves that. We play like that at least twice a day.

Some times she's a bit annoying, though, specially around 5:30 pm (I feed her at 6 pm) she stands about 6 feet away from me and stares at me. She walks around, st
... See more
Her name is Maggie. When I'm working she's either looking out the balcony or sleeping. Then, when it's time for a break, I throw her ball and while she goes to get it, I hide. She's good at finding me. She loves that. We play like that at least twice a day.

Some times she's a bit annoying, though, specially around 5:30 pm (I feed her at 6 pm) she stands about 6 feet away from me and stares at me. She walks around, stops and stares at me some more. gggrrr But I love her to pieces
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes - I gave in! Sep 9, 2007

Now there is enough room on my desk either between the keyboard and the screen or behind the monitor for 1 of them while the other sleeps on the back of my chair. I keep very little paper on my desk, if any. I'm away too often, I feel guilty so I try to accomodate for any quality time I can have with them. I simply can't shoo them off after a 10-12-hour day at work.

They used to walk with me inside the series of courtyards, no leashes! You should have seen neighbors' faces:-) They w
... See more
Now there is enough room on my desk either between the keyboard and the screen or behind the monitor for 1 of them while the other sleeps on the back of my chair. I keep very little paper on my desk, if any. I'm away too often, I feel guilty so I try to accomodate for any quality time I can have with them. I simply can't shoo them off after a 10-12-hour day at work.

They used to walk with me inside the series of courtyards, no leashes! You should have seen neighbors' faces:-) They were the talk of the apartment complex. We can't do it now, all they have is their balcony and I appreciate their cooperation:-) Normally it's not easy to keep the cats that tasted outdoors inside but my guys seem to understand...
Collapse

Taylor Kirk
Taylor Kirk  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Except when my cat... Sep 9, 2007

...tries to nap on my laptop. >:O

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:25
German to English
Lizards Sep 9, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:
On the other hand, I often enjoy the antics of a lizard or two as they leap around, on and near my desk, eating mosquitoes and setting off my wind chimes. But I don't quite count them as pets.

Jane

Hi Jane,

I have quite a few lizards jumping around here in India too, but as you say, they're not really pets. They're perfectly harmless though, and keep the insects away, since they feed on them.

Niraja

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 06:55
English to Greek
+ ...
I have two dogs... Sep 9, 2007

...Sassy a poodle-Yorkie mix, given to me by a friend 14 years ago and Benny, a 4-year old stray I picked off the streets two Christmases ago.

I love working while they sleep under my desk or next to me. They wake up every now and then and demand attention, which gives me the opportunity to get up and stretch for a bit.

(BTW - none of them are the dog in the photo with me!)

Lina

Anne Goff
Anne Goff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:55
French to English
+ ...
Cat... Sep 9, 2007

He has his own cushioned stool next to my chair. He's there now, half asleep and purring.

That's what he does on good days, on bad days he tries to sleep on my lap which causes some difficulties...

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
Local time: 05:55
French to English
+ ...
Chama chama chama... Sep 9, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:

Jane

Hi Jane

Your lizards remind me of one of my first freelance jobs, translating for an expert in chameleons (a chameleonologist??!!). I used to go over to his office to work and use his reference books and the first thing I would do on opening the door was to check the whereabouts of his huge pet chamelon. I was terrified of it and would freeze whenever it came near or, worse, onto the desk. Never again!

Today I enjoy the warm company of a beautiful cat!

Sandra

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 06:55
English to Romanian
I used to... Sep 9, 2007

I had a cat to keep me company while I was working. A relevant picture can be seen in my Personal tab. But she died last year and I could not find another to replace her since. Maybe some day another cat will find its way to me

Ali Al awadi
Ali Al awadi  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Arabic
+ ...
Tow's a company! Sep 9, 2007

As far as translation is concerned, two's a company (the file and me) three's a crowd.
My translation job is always my sole pet.

Lucia [Lulu] Lay
Lucia [Lulu] Lay
United States
Local time: 21:55
English to Slovak
+ ...
My doggy Sep 9, 2007

Little Butt (that's what her name translates to) usually keeps me company or, actually, guards the door to my office IN HER SLEEP. Yep, I work, work, work, and she sleeps, sleeps, sleeps. Works for both of us... Every now and then she gets up, fetches one of her toys and brings it to me, probably just to remind me of her wonderful presence. She's not too fond of Private Display of Affection, she likes to save that for the public eye, especially with complete strangers. I mean, come on, why ... See more
Little Butt (that's what her name translates to) usually keeps me company or, actually, guards the door to my office IN HER SLEEP. Yep, I work, work, work, and she sleeps, sleeps, sleeps. Works for both of us... Every now and then she gets up, fetches one of her toys and brings it to me, probably just to remind me of her wonderful presence. She's not too fond of Private Display of Affection, she likes to save that for the public eye, especially with complete strangers. I mean, come on, why love ME (who's with her all the time), when she can have anyone she approaches? But we're a great team because she helps me stay fit whether rain or shine. And yes, that's us in the picture, but she's her adult size by now.Collapse

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
A cat Sep 9, 2007

He's running around to entertain me or just sleeps on the windowsill, but he never stays far away. He's my supervisor.
His name is Belzebuth and of course, he's black.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:55
Portuguese to English
+ ...
My wife Sep 9, 2007

I really enjoy the company of my beautiful panda bear - my darling wife. She cheers me up when I get bored and keeps me alert with a nice hot cup of coffee, sprinkled with TLC (Tender Loving Care).

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Working with a pet is for the birds! Sep 9, 2007

I have always believed that I am either working or I am doing something else but not both at the same time.

I always minimize any distraction while working and that definitely includes pets!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you enjoy the company of a pet while you work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »