Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What helps you concentrate and stay alert?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:37
Spanish
+ ...
caffeine, caffeine, caffeine Oct 17, 2007

Marcus Malabad wrote:

Red Bull

Ditto.

For me, it used to be cigarettes, but I don't smoke anymore. I don't know if it's because I need the nicotine or because my body is still purging it out, but I feel that my levels of concentration have decrease a lot, caffeine helps, but not as much as a cigarette break. Sad, but true.

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
Local time: 22:37
German to Polish
+ ...
away from my office Oct 17, 2007

Regardless of the current state of my office...

(meaning how many papers are lying around screaming to be filed and cluttering my desk and... oh, when was the last time I hoovered the PC fan and why is it SOOO loud)

...I always find concentrating on translating easiest somewhere else (thank goodness for laptops) - be it at my local coffee shop, a train [BBOAT* says: 'Get yourself a seanson ticket' haha] to a location at least 2 hours away, sometimes (great for
... See more
Regardless of the current state of my office...

(meaning how many papers are lying around screaming to be filed and cluttering my desk and... oh, when was the last time I hoovered the PC fan and why is it SOOO loud)

...I always find concentrating on translating easiest somewhere else (thank goodness for laptops) - be it at my local coffee shop, a train [BBOAT* says: 'Get yourself a seanson ticket' haha] to a location at least 2 hours away, sometimes (great for my budget) even my own balcony, more often than not the living room, and yes, even the kitchen.

I'm not kidding... Just an example: on the train to and from last year's proz.com Berlin conference (total return trip time time around 12 hours + some 5-7 hours in the hotel) I got done more than I could even dream to manage in the 5 whole days before the trip. Amazes me every time...

I'm seriously considering renting a tiny place somewhere close to home, just to be able to change the scenery every now and then. I guess I'm slightly too much distracted by the goodies in the house - the sunbathing cats on the sofa/ window sill/ balcony [gloooooroius sight, beats TV etc.], the exploration of my fridge's contents (I know there’s only the greek yoghurt and the white wine there, so why bother? For the sake of a walk, OK? I stretch [exercise] and smile [happiness] on my way there... Justified? )

And there is... the home land line – when I’m at home, I have to ring my mother (girlie thing? well... I need to ring at least every other day, otherwise she'd be paranoid some bad people have obducted me), check out how my best friend is, catch up on newest gossip from another friend.. etc. Aw, yes, I’m a blondie...

And then there are the door-to-door vendors (even though the building has an intercome system... somehow they get in).

So... much time is wasted in no time, and suddenly it’s lunch time, also a moment when I go to the grocer’s and dwell on ideas for dinner, then my BBOAT* comes home, and I want to spend some of the evening with him, we have dinner together, and then the day is gone.

Duh.

Whereas, to concentrate on interpreting I need very little - just a good night's sleep before the event and 1-3 (depending on the time of day) cups of coffee before I go. And, yes, some materials from the client are always helpful - best at least 1 day in advance

Life could be simplier, right? But there’s no way I could sneak back in the midst of the 9 to 5 crowd. NEVER!!!!

So, I’ll just look for another location to provide me a change of scenery. Any suggestions (Warsaw and vicinity much preferred) are welcome!

Oh, dear, I’m far to chatty to type
Regards to all,
Agnieszka

* self invented acronym, but I like it, OK?

[Edited at 2007-10-17 22:00]
Collapse

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
all of the above? Oct 17, 2007

To concentrate on the piece of work in hand - absolute silence is good. However, I have 4 kids and a dog and a cat.
I think all the alternatives mentioned are part of a balanced life.
A cup of coffee is not bad either.

Chiara Righele
Chiara Righele  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Other Oct 18, 2007

Interest in what I'm doing.

And then the awareness I have (many) other things to do... I get distracted if I know I have plenty of time to do something (and I usually end up doing it just in time in order not to miss the deadlines)

Chiara

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rest or a short break... Oct 18, 2007

maybe a walk or just potter around for 10 minutes in the garden, sweeping up leaves these days, but generally I don't need any "help" to concentrate or "stay" alert - I find that artificial stimulants don't really make me any more alert, although they may briefly appear to do so - that's why I prefer to leave these options for leisure purposes.

As for silence - I find that it sometimes helps but other times can be unnerving, so I usually prefer to have some kind of aural wallpaper,
... See more
maybe a walk or just potter around for 10 minutes in the garden, sweeping up leaves these days, but generally I don't need any "help" to concentrate or "stay" alert - I find that artificial stimulants don't really make me any more alert, although they may briefly appear to do so - that's why I prefer to leave these options for leisure purposes.

As for silence - I find that it sometimes helps but other times can be unnerving, so I usually prefer to have some kind of aural wallpaper, the best probably being Vivaldi-type classical music, which I was told (on a DIP TEFL course) is supposed to enhance your brainwaves or something like that.

Right now there are building works going on nearby and the digger is making a horrible row, but it only really intrudes when I'm on the phone, and I seem to filter it out when working. Unless I'm working on a particularly demanding text, I usually have online BBC Radio2 on, especially Ken Bruce in the mornings, which helps keep in touch with things back in Blighty...
Collapse

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 06:37
Italian to English
Good results Oct 18, 2007

I see that "Absolute silence" and "Some of the above" are both at 25% +. That's interesting. When I was a high school student, I needed the former a lot, but as I grew out of my student 'bark', music, coffee, the pleasant view of beautiful ladies (sec, etc.!!) started to become a must for real concentration on my work......well, it WORKS FOR ME!!!

Rob:)

Mike Hunter (X)
Mike Hunter (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:37
English to Flemish
+ ...
concentration Oct 18, 2007

Definately a combination of factors. Not being interupted, coffee, comfortable relaxed environment. We've just changed offices to give more space and a more comfortable working environment. What a difference.

I must also add: software that works. Nothing breaks concentration more than word or Trados not doing as they should.

Cheers

Mike

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:37
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some... Oct 18, 2007

...coffee and a delicious chocolate bar. Bitter, better.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 16:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Several of above, plus. Oct 18, 2007

Diet Pepsi, instrumental music (classical or jazz preferred--something that has no lyrics to float into my head), frequent breaks and, most definitely, prayer!!

Sara Jofre
Sara Jofre  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:37
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mostly coffee Oct 23, 2007

... with a little meditation or just stopping for a while to rest.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What helps you concentrate and stay alert?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »