https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/87985-poll_what_font_do_you_use_when_translating_scanned_documents_non_standard_formats.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What font do you use when translating scanned documents / non-standard formats?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 30, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What font do you use when translating scanned documents / non-standard formats?".

This poll was originally submitted by Marie-Hélène Hayles

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see:
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What font do you use when translating scanned documents / non-standard formats?".

This poll was originally submitted by Marie-Hélène Hayles

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:33
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Times New Roman is my default. Oct 30, 2007

It's not always my client's, and their default always trumps my default.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:33
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Verdana Oct 30, 2007

Verdana is definitely my favourite font, and I normally use size 11 or 12. Of course, if the text asks to keep the original font, I do.

Regarding popular fonts, Verdana and Arial are quite pleasing to the eye, but I don't think too much of Times New Roman.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 10:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Anything rather than Courier... Oct 30, 2007

...which makes me feel I'm producing an inferior piece of work!

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:33
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I try to approximate the client's fonts and general layout Oct 30, 2007

It makes editing and proofreading much easier.

[Edited at 2007-10-30 15:15]

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
Same here Oct 30, 2007

Steven Capsuto wrote:

It makes editing and proofreading much easier.

[Edited at 2007-10-30 15:15]

But there are limits, I'm quick to draw the line if I feel I'm really crossing into the realm of DTP.

After all, at the end of the day we're selling our time. If I was that interested in charity work, I'd find a better cause.

[Edited at 2007-10-30 15:25]

Christiane Boehme
Christiane Boehme  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Close to original document Oct 30, 2007

I always try to match fonts and layout with the original document.
Otherwise my favorite font is Arial size 11. I use it for all my letters and invoices. But Times New Roman I don't like at all.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Times for proofreading, then the client's font Oct 30, 2007

I find proofreading much easier in Times New Roman.

Somehow typos slip through in Arial, and you can't trust the spellchecker ... Other fonts are tricky too, but it is largely a matter of habit. I find italics especially difficult, but changing the format makes errors stand out.

I do follow the client's formatting in big, complicated jobs, but I sometimes save a backup with the original formatting, then convert to a proofing-friendly format to make sure I have caught AL
... See more
I find proofreading much easier in Times New Roman.

Somehow typos slip through in Arial, and you can't trust the spellchecker ... Other fonts are tricky too, but it is largely a matter of habit. I find italics especially difficult, but changing the format makes errors stand out.

I do follow the client's formatting in big, complicated jobs, but I sometimes save a backup with the original formatting, then convert to a proofing-friendly format to make sure I have caught ALL the errors. I correct them in the original formatting version, of course!

It's worth it!
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Verdana, more often than not Oct 30, 2007

If the font seems immaterial, I use Verdana, but in some cases (legal documents, certificates etc.) Times New Roman seems more appropriate, or I may match the original font if I can.
My rather curious preference for Verdana font size is 9.5. The reason for this is historical: I was doing a regular job with a title line on each sheet which had limits on the maximum and minimum number of words.
While still using a typewriter (no, I don't go back as far as quill pens),
I knew tha
... See more
If the font seems immaterial, I use Verdana, but in some cases (legal documents, certificates etc.) Times New Roman seems more appropriate, or I may match the original font if I can.
My rather curious preference for Verdana font size is 9.5. The reason for this is historical: I was doing a regular job with a title line on each sheet which had limits on the maximum and minimum number of words.
While still using a typewriter (no, I don't go back as far as quill pens),
I knew that a certain number of characters produced a line of a certain size, and to match what I was used to in Verdana, 9.5 was about right.

[Edited at 2007-10-30 21:20]
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Times New Roman Oct 30, 2007

I suggested this poll because I get quite a few scanned letters to translate which were written in Comic Sans MS, which I find somewhat disconcerting - to me it looks completely unprofessional. So I refuse to use it (although I would if I were specifically asked to, of course!). I've also revised translations written in Courier New, which I find literally unreadable - I have to change it all to another font before I can work on it.

My preference is TNR in 11 or 12, but I'm OK with
... See more
I suggested this poll because I get quite a few scanned letters to translate which were written in Comic Sans MS, which I find somewhat disconcerting - to me it looks completely unprofessional. So I refuse to use it (although I would if I were specifically asked to, of course!). I've also revised translations written in Courier New, which I find literally unreadable - I have to change it all to another font before I can work on it.

My preference is TNR in 11 or 12, but I'm OK with Arial (10) or Tahoma or Verdana.
Collapse

Kristaps Otrups
Kristaps Otrups
Latvia
Local time: 11:33
English to Latvian
+ ...
Comic Sans MS Oct 30, 2007

I use Comic Sans whenever I can, especially when translating legal documents. I think it really lightens up their serious tone a lot.

LinguaLab.net
LinguaLab.net
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Verdana Oct 30, 2007

I also use Verdana, it's just a personal preference.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:33
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
DejaVu Fonts are my choice Oct 30, 2007

Normally, it's DejaVu Mono. Those fonts are far superior to Microsoft's by script/language coverage.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Off topic Oct 30, 2007

I hereby state that I hate, detest and despise Times New Roman font.
I am not sure about the reasons, though.

That is all I have to say now, and my apologies for diverting this honorable thread.

Good day!

Andrés

Tamer Elzein (X)
Tamer Elzein (X)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Arial Unicode MS Oct 30, 2007

Since most of the work I handle needs to be translated into Arabic, using Verdana is a luxury I can't afford.

Actually, I probably wouldn't use Verdana, anyway. It's an amazing font for the Web, but since I started using the ClearType technology, I've come to love the way Serif fonts appear on my laptop screen.

Sometimes, I might use a certain font for proofreading then, when I'm done, I convert the font to my client's preference.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What font do you use when translating scanned documents / non-standard formats?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »