https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/88273-poll_how_many_windows_tabs_do_you_have_open_at_the_moment.html

Poll: How many windows / tabs do you have open at the moment?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 2, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many windows / tabs do you have open at the moment?".

This poll was originally submitted by Hikmat

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more inform
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many windows / tabs do you have open at the moment?".

This poll was originally submitted by Hikmat

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Melzie
Melzie
Local time: 05:30
French to English
+ ...
less than 4, for the moment Nov 2, 2007

but I've only just come back to my desk after lunch, so it will no doubt increase to at least 10 as the afternoon wears on...

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:30
Portuguese to English
+ ...
put 4-6, but miscounted Nov 2, 2007

At the moment I have open the following:

1 bash terminal window (to run Omega T .jar)
2 Omega T work window
3 This mozilla window in which I am viewing proz (with 5 tabs open for various resources I use while working)
4 mozilla mail window
5 xmms window (playing catupecu machu, mana, los piojos, soda stereo, julieta venegas mix playlist)
6 kthesaurus window
7 konqueror window displaying the folder containing the project on which I am working

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 13:30
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Too many Nov 2, 2007

Right now I am counting 3 tabs in one browser window, 4 tabs in a second browser window plus 7 other windows.

This is my normal average

elen_d
elen_d
English to French
+ ...
<4 Nov 2, 2007

I love tabs on Firefox! I reckon each application appears more clearly on the task bar this way.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
more than 10 Nov 2, 2007

if you include tabs.
That's why I love tab navigation browsers!

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 21:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
4 windows Nov 2, 2007

Three email accounts and this one. No doubt I'll open at least two more during the day.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:30
English to Polish
Unclear Nov 2, 2007

The question is unclear to me. There's "windows/tabs" so I presumed it's about a browser (browser tabs or browser windows, depending on browser type), but here I can see people naming different programs. However I woulnd't call having opened 5 different programs as "tabs".

At the moment of voting I had opened 3 tabs (now 4, to reply to the poll), and 5 other windows of other soft (or 4, as 2 are windows of Konqueror).
... See more
The question is unclear to me. There's "windows/tabs" so I presumed it's about a browser (browser tabs or browser windows, depending on browser type), but here I can see people naming different programs. However I woulnd't call having opened 5 different programs as "tabs".

At the moment of voting I had opened 3 tabs (now 4, to reply to the poll), and 5 other windows of other soft (or 4, as 2 are windows of Konqueror).

Anni
Collapse

charlie47
charlie47
Local time: 04:30
English
Vote? Nov 2, 2007

Vote seems to be the wrong word here, and in fact I would not really call this a poll.
Totally boring.

Ma. Unica Real Encinares
Ma. Unica Real Encinares
Philippines
Local time: 11:30
Member (2007)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
4 at the moment Nov 3, 2007

This is my minimum number. However, I usually have 1 for my mail, 1 for proz, 1 for an online dictionary, 2 for the documents I am translating (when I don't use a CAT tool), 1 for YM, and 1 for another forum in Tagalog which I browse everytime I get bored and need to take a break.

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Silly question Nov 3, 2007

charlie47 wrote:

Vote seems to be the wrong word here, and in fact I would not really call this a poll.
Totally boring.

I couldn't agree more. I like the quick polls very much and "vote" regularly (to be honest, it's the first thing I do after logging in at proz.com in the morning). This "poll" is totally silly.

Have a nice day,
LB

Diana Cossato (X)
Diana Cossato (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
>10 Nov 3, 2007

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:

Anni

I agree with Anni. I have voted 7-10 as I thought the question referred to the browser only, otherwise I definitely have always more than 10! (often even within the browser itself, but I do try to limit that).

I don't think the poll is silly, I have actually often wondered why people do not use more windows, I think having all you need within reach is much handier than opening and closing applications and windows all the time! The poll results confirm what I have heard so far from friends and collegues.

[Edited at 2007-11-03 12:00]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many windows / tabs do you have open at the moment?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »