Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Working from home as a freelancer, do you care about your appearance as much as before?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 9, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Working from home as a freelancer, do you care about your appearance as much as before?".

This poll was originally submitted by Toralf Mjelde

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see:
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Working from home as a freelancer, do you care about your appearance as much as before?".

This poll was originally submitted by Toralf Mjelde

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:20
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Naked or with clothes on? Jan 9, 2008

The thing is I tend to dress rather casually, not shave etc. because I am not going anywhere, but, on the other hand, I have more time for exercise, so I am probably in better shape.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
And in pyjamas... Jan 9, 2008

My answer to this question is that since I started working at home, I've started calling my pajamas my "work uniform".

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 22:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
I try to care about my appearance Jan 9, 2008

I try to do it because I have to deal with direct clients who come to explain the job I want to do and to pick it up. I do a lot of certified translations that must only be delivered in printed form.

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 07:20
English to Latvian
Depends... Jan 9, 2008

When I am at home with no intention to go out, then I care about my appearance at a very minimum level (cause no one will see me anyway ).
But when I go out, I care about my appearance as much as before, that's for sure.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
More than I used to Jan 9, 2008

People seem to think because I'm working at home, I don't really have office hours or serious obligations. Working in pyjamas would certainly add to that impression....

Also, I find working in pyjamas makes me feel like I'm on some sort of holiday - relaxed and cosy, but not productive.

Getting dressed nicely helps me give my working day a good start.

Agree Jan 9, 2008

Evija Rimšāne wrote:

When I am at home with no intention to go out, then I care about my appearance at a very minimum level (cause no one will see me anyway ).
But when I go out, I care about my appearance as much as before, that's for sure.

The same for me.

Cheers!
Isabel

christine munin
christine munin  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
I agree Jan 9, 2008

Mark Nathan wrote:

The thing is I tend to dress rather casually, not shave etc. because I am not going anywhere, but, on the other hand, I have more time for exercise, so I am probably in better shape.

I also generally tend to dress casual and now, I can do it, what was not the case before and I also practice more sport, also during the morning or afternoon, when I am not so busy, so I think I'm also in a better shape

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 00:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why bother? Jan 9, 2008

Evija Rimšāne wrote:

I'm happy I've been able to save a lot of "looks" during my 18 years as a freelance translator. Time for yourself and wearing little or no makeup is the healthiest lifestyle!

Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Netherlands
English to Dutch
I wish I could say the same Jan 9, 2008

christine munin wrote:

... and I also practice more sport, also during the morning or afternoon, when I am not so busy, so I think I'm also in a better shape

I wish I could say the same, but walking to the pantry for some more sweets is just about all the excercise I get.

No jammies for me during day time, it makes me feel like my day hasn't really started yet and so there's no real need to start working. But I DO like to walk around on my socks and I only wear shoes when I go outside.

Mafalda d'Orey de Faria
Mafalda d'Orey de Faria  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:20
English to Portuguese
+ ...
As if going to the office Jan 9, 2008

Margreet is absolutely right.

No way to work in my pyjamas.
I dress comfortably but in a way to be able to go out at a minute's notice, as well as I try to work office hours.

Sandro C
Sandro C  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:20
English to Georgian
+ ...
Even more time for looks Jan 9, 2008

Yes, it seems absolutely natural to me paying less attention to what you are wearing or how you look when you are working alone at home.

But on the other hand, freelancing gives such a flexibility to adjust one’s working life to one’s own biological clock and rhythms.

This way choosing what’s the best time to work and what’s the best time to rest is easier than when having a full time job and, at the same time, being a full time parent.

So my po
... See more
Yes, it seems absolutely natural to me paying less attention to what you are wearing or how you look when you are working alone at home.

But on the other hand, freelancing gives such a flexibility to adjust one’s working life to one’s own biological clock and rhythms.

This way choosing what’s the best time to work and what’s the best time to rest is easier than when having a full time job and, at the same time, being a full time parent.

So my point is that you get even more time for yourself, your own interests and - if you are interested in maintaining yourself- for your looks too!
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:20
English to French
+ ...
Another advantage of freelancing - not to be overlooked Jan 9, 2008

I hate buying - and wearing - pantyhose!

I love the fact that I don't need to look good. Way back when, I wasn't allowed to wear jeans, ever, and I had to look like a woman (hair, makeup, skirts, etc., and occasional visits to the ladies' room to check that my mascara is holding on - all this eats away at the time I am not actually working). There are still office jobs being advertized with requirements asking you to look good - I am very sensitive to that. What am I paid for here -
... See more
I hate buying - and wearing - pantyhose!

I love the fact that I don't need to look good. Way back when, I wasn't allowed to wear jeans, ever, and I had to look like a woman (hair, makeup, skirts, etc., and occasional visits to the ladies' room to check that my mascara is holding on - all this eats away at the time I am not actually working). There are still office jobs being advertized with requirements asking you to look good - I am very sensitive to that. What am I paid for here - to do my job or to look pretty? So, since I am my own boss and work at home where nobody sees me, I am allowed to be comfortable (jeans or jogging pants are the way to go for me) and the big bonus is not having to care about my hair, something I am simply unable to put up with. I can just make a bun - and off to work I go.

I understand those who say they need to dress as if they were going to the office - it helps with discipline. But I find that not having to do that gives me more time for other things, like getting another 200 words translated or doing some exercise. And above all, it helps me to be myself - I get to wear my cherished Threadless t-shirts. I can just be me. That, for me, is very precious, because I am part of the very small minority who can do that - I pity office workers for this.

[Edited at 2008-01-09 18:35]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:20
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Living like a slob: two useful Russian words Jan 9, 2008

I tend to dress more casually since retiring from full-time work; in particular, I used to wear a tie most of the time then, and hardly ever do so now.
There are two useful Russian words for living in a slovenly way without caring about your own appearance or that of the place you live in.
One is халатность (khalatnost), derived from халат (khalat), meaning a dressing gown, and hence meaning spending all day without getting properly dressed, and generally being slovenl
... See more
I tend to dress more casually since retiring from full-time work; in particular, I used to wear a tie most of the time then, and hardly ever do so now.
There are two useful Russian words for living in a slovenly way without caring about your own appearance or that of the place you live in.
One is халатность (khalatnost), derived from халат (khalat), meaning a dressing gown, and hence meaning spending all day without getting properly dressed, and generally being slovenly and irresponsible; and the other is обломовщина (oblomovshchina), derived from Oblomov, the title of, and main character in, a 19th century novel by Goncharov, who lived very much in this style.
But I don't think I could be accused of khalatnost or oblomovshchina.
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 07:20
English to Greek
+ ...
yes and no Jan 9, 2008

Evija Rimšāne wrote:

That is exactly what I do, too.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Working from home as a freelancer, do you care about your appearance as much as before?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »