https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/96088-poll_do_you_ever_have_difficulty_letting_go_of_your_translation_%22babies%22.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you ever have difficulty letting go of your translation "babies"?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 4, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you ever have difficulty letting go of your translation "babies"?".

This poll was originally submitted by Nicole Johnson

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you ever have difficulty letting go of your translation "babies"?".

This poll was originally submitted by Nicole Johnson

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 20:49
German to English
+ ...
Never! Feb 4, 2008

There are some that I am REALLY happy to see the back of, to be honest - the ones where they and their "parents" (agency/client) have given me nothing but trouble while they were in my care!

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nope, not usually Feb 4, 2008

Guess I’m not very paternal, and I definitely agree with Hilary.

I’ve actually enjoyed many of the translations I’ve done over the years; some have made me laugh and others cry, but just as many were more like spoiled brats that needed “a time out”. I couldn’t wait to send the “home”.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:49
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
No! Feb 4, 2008

Definitely not - chuck 'em out with the bathwater!
Regards
Jenny

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sometimes Feb 4, 2008

I recently spent three months translating a novel. The agent who sent it and the author were both very friendly and helpful, it was an enjoyable read and I learned a lot of colloquial Russian expressions in the course of doing it. But when it came to an end, it was back to commercial and engineering, which can be interesting enough, but not in the same class really in that respect. So I felt it left a bit of a gap.

Danae Lucia Ferri
Danae Lucia Ferri  Identity Verified
Norway
Norwegian to Greek
+ ...
Yes Feb 4, 2008

Yes. Last time it happened was with the translation of the novel of an Argentinian writer. I worked on it for a long time: first I translated it and then I kept on editing and re-editing it. I really loved the original and respected the hard work the writer had done and didn't want anybody else -like the editor of the publishing house- to "touch" my translation. When I finally gave it to the publishing house, I really felt like loosing something I hearted. This feeling was stronger than the sens... See more
Yes. Last time it happened was with the translation of the novel of an Argentinian writer. I worked on it for a long time: first I translated it and then I kept on editing and re-editing it. I really loved the original and respected the hard work the writer had done and didn't want anybody else -like the editor of the publishing house- to "touch" my translation. When I finally gave it to the publishing house, I really felt like loosing something I hearted. This feeling was stronger than the sense of accomplishment. I know that this might be slightly pathological, but that's how I felt...Collapse

PoveyTrans (X)
PoveyTrans (X)

German to English
It depends... Feb 4, 2008

My experience reflects Jack's. I rarely if ever feel attached to commercial, legal or technical translations but I can sometimes feel closer to literary work.

[Edited at 2008-02-04 15:28]

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
The more "literary" ones, yes... Feb 4, 2008

... as I know the longer I work on them, the better they will be.

Joanna Drzewieniecki
Joanna Drzewieniecki  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
sometimes Feb 4, 2008

I am currently doing a set of long and very interesting interviews. As you know, interviews present special challenges. It would be fun to keep tinkering with them but they have to be sent in as I finish them, unfortunately!

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
can't say Feb 4, 2008

Don't understand the question - please stop being obscurantist.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:49
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not sure... Feb 4, 2008

I am not sure if I really understand the question... Could you please clarify it?

Monika

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Never Feb 4, 2008

funny is the option of "only if the client doesn't pay", here it's a hostage not a baby, and it really sucks if I have to do so with a client till he/she provides a proof of good intentions.

Mariam

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Only the literary ones... Feb 4, 2008

...as someone else pointed out, I only miss the literary ones; when they are finished, I feel like somebody died (but on the other side, those are also the hardest jobs, so at the same time I am happy when they are done!).

TrueBaller
TrueBaller  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:49
Albanian to English
+ ...
Sometimes Feb 4, 2008

Yes, sometimes. When I have spent substantial time working on a piece, as I go over it several times trying to make sure it is as it should be, I get somewhat attached to it, but deadlines are deadlines and you have to let go... It is hard "confessing" on these things, no?

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
German to English
+ ...
Things I've written are different, though Feb 4, 2008

Having answered a vehement "Never!" to the poll, as I really don't become attached to my translations, I have to admit that I feel very differently about things I write myself, from scratch. Then I really do feel very protective of them, and I hate them being edited!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever have difficulty letting go of your translation "babies"?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »