https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/97394-poll_do_you_have_a_blackberry.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you have a Blackberry?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 18, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a Blackberry?".

This poll was originally submitted by Hendrika Müller

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a ne
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a Blackberry?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

[Título editado por el personal o un moderador 2008-02-18 14:40]
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:58
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
They're weeds Feb 18, 2008

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a blackberry?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

They grow like weeds in my garden and are hard to uproot.
Jenny.

Elena Carbonell
Elena Carbonell  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:58
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don´t have one Feb 18, 2008

But it´s just a matter of time. You can´t resist their allure and since 99% of my work comes from my e-mail I have become really dependant of being at home or somewhere with an internet connection. Blackberry eases the job.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you Jenny... Feb 18, 2008

...for making me giggle.

Seriously though: I feel that I am running a losing race against technology - can't keep up with the latest (even if I could afford it!). Also, I am none too sure that a lot of the technology isn't already on some other gadget of mine. Could someone extol the virtues of the blackberry perhaps, and tell me exactly how my life would be improved if I had one?

Katerina Athanasaki
Katerina Athanasaki  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:58
English to Greek
+ ...
Blackberry rules! Feb 18, 2008

I've got the Pearl model and I can't imagine how I lived without it before.

I get my emails (from three different accounts) before they even appear in my inbox. I can even download attachments and see them on the phone if I want to. Plus, it has a "smart text" function and you literally don't have to think about spelling when typing emails.

There is a "Tasks" feature where you can schedule your tasks for the day, the week or even the month. You don't have to remember de
... See more
I've got the Pearl model and I can't imagine how I lived without it before.

I get my emails (from three different accounts) before they even appear in my inbox. I can even download attachments and see them on the phone if I want to. Plus, it has a "smart text" function and you literally don't have to think about spelling when typing emails.

There is a "Tasks" feature where you can schedule your tasks for the day, the week or even the month. You don't have to remember delivery dates or times. It remembers them for you and it alerts you when you have programmed it to.

There is also a very convenient calendar feature so I don't have to remember birthdays, appointments, anniversaries, etc. It also remembers them for you.

There is also a Memo pad, a "Maps" section (I can't help wondering how convenient it would be if it had a GPS system, though), an internet browser, you can send voice notes if you like, a voice dial option, yahoo messenger, google talk, BlackBerry messenger and the address book is one of the most full and convenient ones I've ever seen on a cellular.
Definitely a must for me!
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Gardening humor Feb 18, 2008

Jenny Forbes wrote:
They grow like weeds in my garden and are hard to uproot

If you can't beat them...

Blackberries make great jam.

Also, with most phones' e-mail capacity, I frankly don't see the difference between a "Blackberry" and an "ordinary" phone with email capacity etc.

Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2008-02-18 15:26]

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Waiting for a more advanced version Feb 18, 2008

Katerina_A wrote:

Definitely a must for me!

If they invent one that makes my coffee in the morning and rubs my neck while I'm working, I'm in!

Catherine Shepherd
Catherine Shepherd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
No... Feb 18, 2008

... and I don't need one, I spend most of my day in front of my computer anyway, and if I go out I make do with my mobile phone. As for planning my work and stuff, I have a normal paper diary where I write everything down... Don't know what I'd do without that! However much I love computers and technology (which is a lot!) I've never been bothered with Blackberrys (Blackberries?), PDAs, stuff like that.

P.S. It's my iPod that's a must for me! ;P

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Better off without it Feb 18, 2008

I don't have a Blackberry and don't plan to buy one.
Like Catherine - and probably most of you - I'm on the computer, or near my computer, most of the day. When I'm not, I like the idea of NOT being constantly online, NOT instantly knowing when I've received an e-mail, NOT feeling under pressure to go back to my computer.
Very often when I'm out I don't even answer my mobile phone if it's not my husband or the kids' school.
Not working means not working. Do we really need tha
... See more
I don't have a Blackberry and don't plan to buy one.
Like Catherine - and probably most of you - I'm on the computer, or near my computer, most of the day. When I'm not, I like the idea of NOT being constantly online, NOT instantly knowing when I've received an e-mail, NOT feeling under pressure to go back to my computer.
Very often when I'm out I don't even answer my mobile phone if it's not my husband or the kids' school.
Not working means not working. Do we really need that pressure every waking moment?

[Edited at 2008-02-18 16:08]
Collapse

Vadim Pogulyaev
Vadim Pogulyaev  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:58
Member (2007)
English to Russian
No Feb 18, 2008

You won't believe, but they are forbidden in Russia because of encryption. Our KGB doesn't want us to have secrets=)

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:58
Spanish
+ ...
No; but ... Feb 18, 2008

I have a smartphone which is like a Blackberry but it actually looks like a phone with all the Blackberry/PocketPC features. Like Katerina, I couldn't live with mine either. It's not just the email capabilities, they have so many more features besides the ones already mentioned.

For instance, I have my smartphone and my Thunderbird calendar synced all the time (via Google Calendar), so it doesn't matter whether I add an appointment from my phone or directly from Thunderbird, they're
... See more
I have a smartphone which is like a Blackberry but it actually looks like a phone with all the Blackberry/PocketPC features. Like Katerina, I couldn't live with mine either. It's not just the email capabilities, they have so many more features besides the ones already mentioned.

For instance, I have my smartphone and my Thunderbird calendar synced all the time (via Google Calendar), so it doesn't matter whether I add an appointment from my phone or directly from Thunderbird, they're always synced. No need to use Outlook.

Also, I can use Windows MSN and even Skype to make SkypeOut calls to landlines. So now if there's a Wi-Fi available where I am, I just use Skype from my phone. No extra charges.

I don't use Google Maps from my phone, instead I use the Microsoft application (Live Search), which I like better. So if I'm driving and I need to find an address, I just use my phone to get step-by-step, or actually a street-by-street, directions.

The cool thing about them is that, at least some models, are very customizable and cheap. There are so many Smartphones/Blackberries/etc. out there, that the prices go down after a few months on the market; and with Wi-Fi, a data plan is not even necessary.

I'm actually waiting a few more months to get the HTC S730. I'm sure the price will go down significantly.

[Edited at 2008-02-18 16:29]

[Edited at 2008-02-18 16:30]
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:58
Portuguese to English
+ ...
The iphone Feb 18, 2008

I'm thinking of buying an iphone soon. If I do, it would take the place of a Blackerry, I would think, alhough I've never used a Blackberry. Are there features a Blackberry has that iphone doesn't?

Amy

Leticia Klemetz, CT
Leticia Klemetz, CT  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
I love it! -- Nokia, though Feb 18, 2008

The Blackberry system (which I receive with a Nokia E61) has made my life so much less stressed! I am trying to break away from the computer as much as I can, and the ease of knowing any emails reach me even though I'm at the supermarket or taking a walk, is just great. It gives me the peace of mind of knowing I don't need to be compulsively at the computer in order not to miss an urgent job.
The best since sliced bread! Bu
... See more
The Blackberry system (which I receive with a Nokia E61) has made my life so much less stressed! I am trying to break away from the computer as much as I can, and the ease of knowing any emails reach me even though I'm at the supermarket or taking a walk, is just great. It gives me the peace of mind of knowing I don't need to be compulsively at the computer in order not to miss an urgent job.
The best since sliced bread! But I must give credit to many other things too, iPods non the least.)
Collapse

Sylvie Pelissier
Sylvie Pelissier  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to French
BlackBerry addict Feb 18, 2008

Elena Carbonell wrote:

But it´s just a matter of time. You can´t resist their allure and since 99% of my work comes from my e-mail I have become really dependant of being at home or somewhere with an internet connection. Blackberry eases the job.

It can't make jam, coffee or rub neck yet but enables me to leave my desk freely and go out as I wish.
You get emails before they even reach your laptop! You can download attachments (Ms Office, Adobe...) so check documents and are able to reply your clients instantly when you are not at your desk.
When the laptop is shut down late evening you can still get a project from American customers or early morning from Asian customers. And when travelling too...

Definitely a must have!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Notebook Feb 18, 2008

I figure my portable computer is good enough to keep in touch now that I can find WiFi signals in so many places, and if I am in a country with a lot of Cyber Cafés, then I can make it with a flash drive with the files I need on it and use any computer.

Plus the cell phone, of course.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a Blackberry?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »